Wood I, should I . . .

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
alespa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Wood I, should I . . .

Post by alespa »

I know this isn't the first time someone asked for recommendations on wood whistles, so I'll offer specifics to let you know what I "think" I'm looking for.

First of all, I know there are some great high end whistles made of wood, like Abell, Busman, Thin Weasel, and so on. But these are above my price range, especially since I'm somewhere between beginner and intermediate.

My goal is to find a solid, good quality wood whistle for about $100, new or used (very good condition). Maybe my budget will dictate that I go PVC, like the Wet Weasel route, or even aluminum. I've heard that there are whistles made NOT of wood that have a mellow "woodsy" sound. I have borrowed a Syn, the "Ron", and love the sound of it. If I could make a change it would probably be better volume balance in the upper octaves (when I'm at home). When I play in a larger area, doesn't seem to be a big deal. I also looked at a Ralph Sweet yesterday ($135) Pro Laminate, and it had a brighter, less woodsy sound, and seemed more balanced through the octaves, but I didn't particularly care for the lightweight feel or the look of the laminate.

So, I'm hoping to get some useful feedback from people who've had experience with more than one wood whistle. And as I said earlier, if I'm barking up the wrong tree, feel free to suggest I stick with plastic or metal.

I suppose I should add a very important aspect to all of this. It would be nice to find a whistle, that is not shrill or irritating in the upper octaves. I'd like to find a whistle, my wife will "enjoy" hearing :D

Thanks in advance,
matt
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

If you don't like the Sweet laminate or Syn, I'd say you'll either have to up your price range or settle for something other than wood. From your description, woody and balanced, it sounds like you want a Busman.

I'm not sure how much his whistles are now (I think still less than $200), but David Boisvert's whistles are very woody sounding.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
trisha
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by trisha »

If you want something less shrill, maybe look at a lower key.

Sticking with the high D's, don't dismiss Syn whistles. They have come on in leaps and bounds in the last year (I've played three different Lancewoods), and the newest have a slightly more "sophisticated" sound and are better at the top end. Well in tune with themselves, there are sometimes tuning issues when playing with others, but the maker is on the case. For the money, excellent value.

I have to say though that for wood I wouldn't part with my Abells and Grinters, no way. I only have one high D in wood besides the Syn..a Thin Weasel which is a stubborn creature. Metal is so much easier in high keys IMO.

Trisha
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

How'bout taking a gander at these:

www.greenwoodpipes.com
tommyk

Post by tommyk »

Chiming in for what it's worth:

Before I got my set of Abell whistles (G, A, Bb, C, D, Eb, and F), I was a mediocre whistle player. The day I got them, I became a good player, almost instantly. I've miles to go, but I've been getting better ever since. The weight balance, the perfect (for me) air pressure requirement, the rounded edges of the finger holes, it all added up to an instrument which pulled more out of me than I knew I had.

There is no substitute for a quality instrument.
(Wait til you have more money; patience, young Skywalker!)
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

trisha wrote:If you want something less shrill, maybe look at a lower key.

Sticking with the high D's, don't dismiss Syn whistles. They have come on in leaps and bounds in the last year (I've played three different Lancewoods), and the newest have a slightly more "sophisticated" sound and are better at the top end. Well in tune with themselves, there are sometimes tuning issues when playing with others, but the maker is on the case. For the money, excellent value.

I have to say though that for wood I wouldn't part with my Abells and Grinters, no way. I only have one high D in wood besides the Syn..a Thin Weasel which is a stubborn creature. Metal is so much easier in high keys IMO.

Trisha
My Thin Weasel plays like crazy. I can move my fingers on that whistle faster than any of my others, almost by a factor of two. (Edit: Warning: Your experience may vary or be riduculed.)

As we discussed via email Matt, the Weston would really fill the bill for your expressed reasons and the others we have discussed privately. Simon, although new to wooden mfg, has sent me a VERY nice whistle that Renee says has a sweet sound from top to bottom. The only thing you might consider is he has not gotten them to be tunable yet. The one I have does have a bit of back pressure, but that is what I asked for from him.

The Syn's, at the top of your $$ range, would be another good choice. Erle is quite responsive to customer needs and feedback. He will bend over backwards (as does ANY true whistlesmith here) to make sure your purchase is EXACTLY what you want.

Although I have neve played them, I think the Greenwoods would be fine too, but are starting to get up there just a bit. He had quite a setback to his operation a few weeks ago and so I do not know what his wait time currently is, usually about 2 months.
Last edited by IDAwHOa on Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
trisha

Post by trisha »

A little OT - Steven, the Thin Weasel does seem to have a slightly loose block. I bought it secondhand and haven't another to compare it to. To get it to play in tune requires the block to be pushed in a bit leaving a free metal edge. If it was UK made I'd have returned it for a lookover by now.

Very neatly made, but not what it ought to be for now. Time and money...never enough of either :roll:

Trisha
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Trisha, Glenn is very good about fixing whistles. I had bought one used. I dropped it on its beak when it slipped out of my hand during an oiling. Glenn fixed it (within a day or two of when he received it) and wouldn't take any kind of payment. If there's an issue with the block, email him and ask him about it; I'm sure he'll either tell you how to deal with it or ask you to send it back.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
trisha

Post by trisha »

Thanks for that Charlie :)

Trisha
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

In high D, I play Busman, Abell and Thin Weasel and I agree that Busman is closest to what you want. It happens to be my favourite too. In other keys, I have what used to be the full set of Abells, very nice, and a Grinter low F which is a killer.

I think that if you can't afford a really good wooden whistle, you would do better to buy a good metal whistle than to buy a less interesting wooden product. Purish wooden whistles have a singing quality in the top octave which is hard to beat and hard to match in metal whistles. If you can't afford a Busman or a Greenwood, I'd suggest you buy a Sindt or a Burke. They come closest to having that singing quality.

I haven't yet tried a wooden Syn though, so I'm not in a position to comment. It might well be exactly what you want.
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Thanks to all of you! Very helpful feedback. It helps me focus a bit more, and now I have something to chew on (not my whistles).

matt
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Before I got my set of Abell whistles (G, A, Bb, C, D, Eb, and F), I was a mediocre whistle player. The day I got them, I became a good player, almost instantly.
Of course you did.
My Thin Weasel plays like crazy. I can move my fingers on that whistle faster than any of my others, almost by a factor of two.
Yeah, right!

How can I sum up the experience of 1,000 posts in this weird and wonderful place?

If I had seen these opinions at the time I first started hanging around this forum, or rather its predecessor, I'd have assumed the authors must be having you on.

A year or two later, my interpretation would have been that some people who spend lots of money on whistles have to believe stuff like this to justify the expense - i.e., they're having themselves on.

Now? Fecked if I know what I think. Except that it takes all sorts.... Carry on, everybody!
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Gongratulation, Steve. Was lange währt, wird endlich gut. :)
/Bloomfield
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Now that wasn't so hard, was it, Steve? Hope this means you can give a sigh of relief and take off posting again!

Susan
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

susnfx wrote:Now that wasn't so hard, was it, Steve? Hope this means you can give a sigh of relief and take off posting again!

Susan
If he's not too fecked to know, of course