Any tips for playing flute outdoors in the wind?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Glad to know I'm not alone in my lunacy...welcome aboard!

Eric
(currently sailing towards 1000 posts)
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Nanohedron wrote:
Jayhawk wrote:...but I just couldn't get the image of Matt Malloy or our own Harry Bradley, standing valiantly amidst a tornado trying to play a tune...
It IS a compelling vision. Something to work toward, maybe! ("Oh, look. There's that nutjob out in the storm again playing that whatever-it-is. Is that a "real" flute?") :D
Well, given that Ivan the Terrible is supposed to hit here tomorrow at the start of our annual outdoor Irish Fest, I'll let ya know how things blow ... er, go.

:love:, The Nutjob.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
talasiga

Hot Air?

Post by talasiga »

Jayhawk wrote:.......
I've played flute and whistle on the same day, and I can assure you the flute is easier to play than the whistle - the whistle (and I've tried 3 different ones) simply lose it in a good wind.

Was it a hot wind you played in then?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

This Weekend's Wind Report:

In a head-on, roughly 15 mph wind gusting to about 20, *both* flute and whistle --- well, kind of sucked.

Turning somewhat sideways and sometimes even all the way around seemed the best answer on that particular go-round, alas.

Worse, though, was the roar of the wind thru the microphones; it sounded like a train.

Anyway, that's the news, and thank heavens for the "strap-on"!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

OK, my report: similar windy conditions as Cathy endured with changes in direction and swirling gusts. Plus it was dusty, and I got a shovelload of dirt in and on my instruments. Yikes.

No mikes for me, so I count that as a plus. I found myself faring better with the sidewinds this time, but it wasn't altogether consistent: the jealous fingers of Aeolus stubbornly pried at my jet of breath with occasional success, so turning back or face to the wind had to be done. Still, I was surprised that I managed better this time around than previously. I'm not sure yet what the specifics are in this, but really concentrating the jet and keeping close to the far side of the embouchure cut help.
headwizer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by headwizer »

Are you all playing in relatively warm temperatures? How about wind plus chill (which brings more condensation)?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

headwizer wrote:Are you all playing in relatively warm temperatures? How about wind plus chill (which brings more condensation)?
Averaging 80F or more this last weekend. If it's colder than, say, 55F, I usually don't play outdoors if even then. Haven't tried my windy-playing chops in those conditions, yet.
headwizer

Post by headwizer »

Mpls gets -50 degree windchills during winter (unless global warming has softened the winters). I wonder if condensation affects play under those conditions. Maybe tiny icicles hanging from the blow hole would divert the airstream? :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Apply a thin coat of vaseline to the headjoint for swift removal of flutecicles. The ice rivulets forming inside the flute would make for interesting perturbations of the bore, that's for sure.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I've played in about 35 degree weather and windy conditions, but I'm playing a seery so I don't worry about cracking. It does take longer to warm up, but the biggest problem is my fingers get cold, I begin to shake, and I just play like a horse hockey puck...

Eric
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Jayhawk wrote:I've played in about 35 degree weather and windy conditions, but I'm playing a seery so I don't worry about cracking. It does take longer to warm up, but the biggest problem is my fingers get cold, I begin to shake, and I just play like a horse hockey puck...

Eric
My point exactly. I'll suffer for my art only so far.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

I agree Nano - I'm OK until about 50 degrees, but that's as low as I'll go.

Eric
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Any below 50F its time for my tambak, duff and tabla.
Voice and drum, no wind can beat.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Yeah, below about 50 I get out the Boehm; it's just easier.

Although there is a hazard playing metal in 10-degree or lower temperatures .... like the old tongue-and-flagpole story, I've actually had a piccolo freeze to my lip up at a Michigan football game in November (albeit only slightly). More like frost than frozen solid, but nonetheless .... :eek:!!!! That hurt!!!!!!
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Jayhawk wrote: I just couldn't get the image of Matt Malloy or our own Harry Bradley, standing valiantly amidst a tornado trying to play a tune out of my head
Reminds me of that Stevie Ray Vaughn video, is it 'Voodoo Child'? I'll bet Malloy could do it, if he had the floppy hat!