Is Scoiltrad closed?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Is Scoiltrad closed?

Post by GaryKelly »

On holiday? Closed? Gone bust? I've had no replies to emails in over two weeks, and there's been nothing but voicemail on the phone either.

Anyone know anything?
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
glauber

Post by glauber »

I got an email from Conal yesterday. They're probably busy touring or something.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I got an email reply from Conal the other day too. It was a week coming but I'm sure trad musicians are quite busy in Ireland this time of year.

Cheers,
Aaron
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Thanks chaps.

It's the 'not knowing' whether or not my emails have actually arrived and are being processed/in a queue or have disappeared into the virtual blue yonder without trace that irks. That and the fact that the website assessment doofus doesn't work, and no-one's answering the phones... :(

Kinda makes it impossible to check, y'know? Especially when their website 'contact' page stresses how important communication is, and how promptly responses are made to all inquiries.

Even an automated email receipt would be better than a deafening silence.

Guess I'll give it another week.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Well, it's now 4 weeks to the day and I still haven't heard diddly from Scoiltrad.

If any of you folks are actually in contact with them, could you do me a huge favour and ask them on my behalf Oh, my goodness! What in the world? is going on? Is their mailserver down? Have they all gone on holiday or something? What? :(
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

You may want to try getting a Hotmail account or something similar and emailing them from that.

It sounds to me as though your emails aren't making it to them.

I've had difficulty emailing to and from Ireland before, and that's how I worked around it.

--James
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

That's odd James, since it looks like the Scoiltrad server is in Atlanta GA. That's if my visual traceroute software is working and the rDNS isn't spoofed.

Plus, I've bcc'd myself on the mails, and I'm getting them fine whether I use my office email or home email (different servers entirely).
It'd help if they had someone there answering the phone, I rather begrudge spending a small fortune on international phone calls just to hear a machine play a recorded message.

But thanks for the suggestion anyway.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Did you use your Sméagol voice or your Gollum voice when you called them?

I'm guessing it's either a technical snafu or they are just involved in the myriad of ITM events going on.

How much is the rate to call Ireland from the UK?

Cheers,
Aaron
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

AaronMalcomb wrote:How much is the rate to call Ireland from the UK?
60p a minute (almost $1 a minute) or part thereof. I don't have a landline phone in my apartment, and rely on a cellphone. Not that it'd matter if it was only a penny a minute when there's no-one there to take the call.

The trouble with guessing whether it's a technical issue or whether they're all "away" doing something else is that a customer shouldn't be left guessing like this at all.
onkel

Post by onkel »

Any news from the Scoiltrad lads? I just tried to upload my first assessment file but it produced a server error. Is their admin away, too?
:roll:
Please let us know when you get a reply.

Thanks
Claus
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

onkel wrote:Any news from the Scoiltrad lads? I just tried to upload my first assessment file but it produced a server error. Is their admin away, too?
:roll:
Please let us know when you get a reply.

Thanks
Claus
Hi Claus,

It'll be 5 weeks on Monday that I've heard nothing at all from Scoiltrad, in spite of all my attempts at contacting them. Apparently, the online assessment submission process hasn't been working for a very long time. Those in the know will likely tell you to email your file direct either to info@scoiltrad.com or assessment@scoiltrad.com but don't hold your breath waiting for the "usually within 5 days" reply. I'll let you know what happens next week after I've contacted my credit card people for a full refund. Maybe they'll have more success than I have.