Yes, a poll.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Please vote for one of the following.

Adriana's Dream Flute.
12%
Terrapins or box turtles.
19%
The sooner state.
2%
The latter state.
7%
Adriana's Sub Contra Bass.
15%
Waldco rechargeable flashlight.
12%
Fried okra.
34%

Total votes: 59

Darwin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Darwin »

Must be all those vegetarians voting for the fried okra, instead of the turtle soup. :roll:
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
SwtCaro

Post by SwtCaro »

jsluder wrote:If you're ever in the southeastern US, have breakfast at one of the ubiquitous Cracker Barrel restaurants. Most of their selections come with grits, and they do an OK job with them for a restaurant chain.
They have fried okra too. I get it every time I go. There are Cracker Barrels in the west, too.

Caroline
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

SwtCaro wrote:There are Cracker Barrels in the west, too.
Yeah, they've been slowly expanding west over the past decade or so. They haven't made it to Washington state yet; the closest are in Idaho and Montana. I wonder if the food is still as good, and consistent store-to-store, as I remember...

John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
david-z

Post by david-z »

Box turtles care about the wurkin maan.
"Where is the Wisdom we have lost in Knowledge? Where is the Knowledge we have lost in Information?"
~~~~~T.S. Elliot~~~~~
trisha

Post by trisha »

'elp, I agree with Amar, okra is the gloopy pits. Cracker Barrel in the UK is a brand name for cheddar cheese, and grits sounds like chicken feed.

Flashlight anyone? You can never have enough flashlights living in the absence of street lighting..bats, owls, puddles...

Trisha
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Walden wrote:
scottielvr wrote:And because Amar is right...okra, in any state, is, well... just plain wrong.
Okra's about my favorite vegetable. We always ate it boilt in stew or rolled in cornmeal and fried, and the smaller pods were saved and boilt with the black eyed peas. With the exception of the latter, they were sliced up first. Hmm... I think I'll go pay Grandma a visit about dinnertime. Uh oh... it's already almost one P.M.... that ship has sailed for today.
If I may be so bold, the proper Okie redneck way of preparing fried okra is to slice up the pods and put them in a brown paper bag with a handful of cornmeal and shake it up real good and then fry them.
/Bloomfield
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Bloomy, I think you got it! It's been so long since I ate okra, but as a kid I thought it looked real weird . . . kind of like a fried bug body :boggle:
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

trisha wrote:Cracker Barrel in the UK is a brand name for cheddar cheese, and grits sounds like chicken feed.
It's a brand of cheddar cheese here, too (from Kraft). Cracker barrels are just a common image of old-time country stores, with their cracker barrels and pickle barrels. In my grandparents' generation it was not uncommon to go into a country store and buy a large cracker (the non-sweet and salted variety of what the British call biscuits) and a slice of bologna and/or cheese, to eat on the spot. Cracker Barrel restaurants have a country store theme. These different uses of the same name reflect the use of a common theme in the food industry of "old-fashioned country goodness," which, evokes not only, perhaps a nostalgic sentiment, but images of fresh and not overly-processed foods.
Bloomfield wrote:If I may be so bold, the proper Okie redneck way of preparing fried okra is to slice up the pods and put them in a brown paper bag with a handful of cornmeal and shake it up real good and then fry them.
I guess we weren't rednecks, as my mother and grandmothers always used a mixing bowl rather than a sack. Other than that, though, yeah.
Reasonable person
Walden
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

alespa wrote:Bloomy, I think you got it! It's been so long since I ate okra, but as a kid I thought it looked real weird . . . kind of like a fried bug body :boggle:
My grandfather always wanted his fried crisp and black. Grandma usually made his separate, as most people didn't want theirs fried quite that much, though it's actually very good that way.
Reasonable person
Walden
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I voted for Adri's dream flute in honor of my wifes desire and ability to play a flute. Picked it up, blew into it and a beautiful noise came out. Amazing to me.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I've heard good things about the Dream Flutes, and I think the prices are pretty good, for a new German-made wooden rec***er. I like alto rec***ers, but the alto Dreams are a little pricey (but, as I said, not as rec***ers go). I've a neo-Baroque maple Gill (which are made by Zamir), both soprano and alto.
Reasonable person
Walden
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

NorCalMusician wrote:I voted for Adri's dream flute in honor of my wifes desire and ability to play a flute. Picked it up, blew into it and a beautiful noise came out. Amazing to me.
Walden wrote:I've heard good things about the Dream Flutes, and I think the prices are pretty good, for a new German-made wooden rec***er. I like alto rec***ers, but the alto Dreams are a little pricey (but, as I said, not as rec***ers go). I've a neo-Baroque maple Gill (which are made by Zamir), both soprano and alto.
Oops, I guess I better become more informed before I make selections. :oops: I keep forgetting that "flute" is a more universal term than otherwise thought.!

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

NorCalMusician wrote:Oops, I guess I better become more informed before I make selections. :oops: I keep forgetting that "flute" is a more universal term than otherwise thought.!
Heh heh... well... there's the translation factor involved too. In German and Dutch (among other languages) the specific term for recorder has flute in it.

Even the English word recorder, though quite old, can be misleading, as there are diverse meanings, from the duct flute in question to tape recorder, to an official in charge of public records. Even certain municipal judges are called recorders.

Anyway, the Dream recorders are worth checking out. Some people prefer their sound to that of other recorders (I confess to having started the "rec***er" thing, after making some mock new year's resolution, or the like, in a thread about vulgar language, a long while back).
Reasonable person
Walden
IDAwHOa

Post by IDAwHOa »

Bloomfield wrote:
Walden wrote:
scottielvr wrote:And because Amar is right...okra, in any state, is, well... just plain wrong.
Okra's about my favorite vegetable. We always ate it boilt in stew or rolled in cornmeal and fried, and the smaller pods were saved and boilt with the black eyed peas. With the exception of the latter, they were sliced up first. Hmm... I think I'll go pay Grandma a visit about dinnertime. Uh oh... it's already almost one P.M.... that ship has sailed for today.
If I may be so bold, the proper Okie redneck way of preparing fried okra is to slice up the pods and put them in a brown paper bag with a handful of cornmeal and shake it up real good and then fry them.
Would that be in an Iron Skillet on a vintage (ie: held together by baling wire) Coleman stove?

talasiga

Post by talasiga »

amar wrote:okra is a common vegi in indian cuisine, but i never liked it too much, it's always so slimey, like snot...bleeech
In Hindi, we call okra "bhindi".
Snot is called "neta"
And a cute little boy "beta".
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit