Whistle Advice

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
OnTheMoor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle Advice

Post by OnTheMoor »

Hey guys and gals. Looking to get a new whistle and needed your expertise. I currently have a Walton (sorta, I think I killed it), a Sweetone and a MEG, the MEG is my favourite. I'm looking for something in the low to mid-level range ($50). I want a rather quiet whistle (especially in upper octaves) good for playing solo in my room without bugging the family... too much. Not breathy at all. I'm somewhere in the murky area between beginner and intermediate. Anyone? Thanks in advance.
DanTheWhistleMan

Post by DanTheWhistleMan »

I´m guessing a white cap would be just perfect....
Lets see what others have to say :)

Daniel
alespa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

I have a Hoover Whitecap with brass body, and two Dixons (pvc), one tuneable. To me, the Hoover is brighter with a "rounder" more tubular sound, and the Dixon has a mellower tone, with more timbre (I hope I' saying this right). It took me awhile to get used to the very low breath requirement on the two low notes. But after a few weeks, I finally got it!

Both the Dixon and Whitecap are very close in regard to upper octave volume and balance, but you might be able to find a "quieter" whistle. For your price range you could look at the new Dixon aluminum with pvc head. I think the tuneable version is $51, and the nontuneable is in the low $40's.

I have heard great things about the Freeman tweaked Mellow Dog (hybrid of Walton's Mellow D with a Feadog C head). That's under $50, and the wider bore may be what you are looking for!?!?!

matt
Last edited by alespa on Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

That's what I'd concluded after reading through the forums and the site... the Hoover that is.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

For a REALLY quiet whistle the Hoover narrow bore is a good choice. You just missed one on Ebay.

If you contact the makers directly most are able to fix you up with your particular requirements.

A couple that come to mind are Hoover (US), Weston (UK), Syn (AUST) and O' Brien (CAN). I can tell you more about the Weston whistles, just email me.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

The hoover I had would match your requirements as well. Mine's not spot-on on tuning, being a little sharp, but since I only use to to play by myself in the computer room when the house is asleep, it's not that big of a deal to me.
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

my Hoover brass D/C is tuneable. I thought all of his were? Oh well.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Some hoovers are tunable. If it's a D/C, it would have to be.
teflon

Whistles

Post by teflon »

I bought a new Syn the other day and its great. Not breathy, fairly pure sound. Doesn't shriek in the upper octaves like my Sweetone and for you guys over there its cheap when you take the exchange rate into consideration! I thought it was cheap myself even in Australian Dollars considering it sounds so nice. I like the feel of it in my hands more than my Sweetone too. And once you have bought one all you have to do is buy a new body if you want another key and just use the same fipple.

Definitely recommended. Erle makes Low whistles too but unfortunately my hands are too small :(. They look and sound nice though.
(I have no connection to Syn whistles, just really like them).
Teflon
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Thanks for the suggestions folks.
Hm. O'Brien is sounding interesting... I like the Canadian money thing, I'm just looking at the set of D,C,B and E for $110, which seems like a good deal. How do they measure up against my requirements?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Cillian O'Briain improved from www.shannaquay.com or how about a Clare 2 piece - both are on the quieter side. The O'Briain (not O'Brien) is much more pure than the clare and has the quietest/sweetest second octave of any whistle I own.

Eric
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

I'm pretty much of a beginner myself so you may want to factor that in but as far as quiet whistles go alot of people do recommend the Hoover. You can have one of his whitecaps, just the whistle part, put onto your own tube and it's supposed to really make quite a difference from the things I've read here. I think that's $20.00. (Check out Mack Hoover's website for more info.) Another quiet whistle is the Dixon. There's a review for his latest alluminum whistle from a contributor here on Aug. 27 you may want to check out. I think all of his whistles up to that point have been pvc but they sound really nice and they are quiet. Hey, I think that one is $51. at the whistle shop! --mike
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

OnTheMoor wrote:Thanks for the suggestions folks.
Hm. O'Brien is sounding interesting... I like the Canadian money thing, I'm just looking at the set of D,C,B and E for $110, which seems like a good deal. How do they measure up against my requirements?
The Syn basic whistle (one complete whistle) is less than $40 including shipping. Each additional tube is about $5, I believe. I think you would be hard pressed to find a quality whistle in this price range. Of course Erle would have to give you the final word on his current pricing.

synwhistles@yahoo.com.au
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

I see Gaelic Crossings has the high D Syn for $38.--- That extra tube thing sounds cool though and the high D seems to be the only item on GCs list so maybe going direct as NorCalMusician suggested is a better idea. mike
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

alespa wrote:my Hoover brass D/C is tuneable. I thought all of his were? Oh well.
Mine's a one-piece hoover PVC D..not tunable.