Regarding bag covers

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
elbogo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Regarding bag covers

Post by elbogo »

I decided to get someone to make me a bag cover, to put a little pizzaz into my practice. They asked how it is attached, so I said, hm, I don't know! So, does it have a zipper?

Anyone come across pics or design specs for making one of these?
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Depends on the maker.
My Wooff set had the cover seam sewn closed.
My Childress set had a folded flap at the back (with fringe) that you could remove or re-arrange should the bag slip around. My Mackenzie covers are similar, without the fringe.

Can't do pictures right now... perhaps tomorrow.
djm

Post by djm »

Elbogo, the cover doesn't attach. It just fits over the bag. It needs to be big enough to allow the bag to inflate fully. You can close the end at the back any way you choose: zipper, velcro, buttons, etc. Lay the bag down flat and trace its outline. Your cover will be this size twice, plus extra for the seam along the bottom edge. There is a simple collar an inch or two high that fits around the fitting for the stock and blowpipe from the bellows. You may choose to run a fringe along the bottom edge as part of the seam. Bag covers are traditionally green, or purple for Lent, and are made of upholstery velvet.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

djm wrote:Bag covers are traditionally green, or purple for Lent, djm
DJM when I said the above,which ye have quoted,some time ago,it was meant as a JOKE!! green and purple being the vestments the Priest wore at mass! :roll: I was going to add black for funerals and white for weddings and Easter but I thought ye would have got the idea with green and purple!!!!No such thing as traditional colours , green and wine red seem popular,but ye can have beer brown or guinness black if ye like...up to yersel......I'm wondering now if there are a load of purple bags over there on the strength of what I said :boggle: bit like Skippy :wink:
Slan Go Foill
Uilliam
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Elbogo, be sure to let the person making the bagcover know that it ought to be 2 to 3 inches longer than the tracing of your pipebag, in this way when the the cover is slipped over the bag there is ample room and the pipebag will remain covered while it is fully inflated. I don't know why, but I find a bag cover that is too short slightly irritating...my cover is this way, and I need to construct a new one. I have all the materials, but my wife wont let me near her nice sewing machinery....can't imagine why. :D
djm

Post by djm »

Sorry, Uilliam, your joke went astray. I'm not a Christian, let alone RC, so I wouldn't see the joke. Come to think of it, I still don't see the joke. :-? Bag covers are traditionally green or purple, but it still seems nobody knows why. Myself, I went with the zebra skin pattern. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

djm wrote:....Myself, I went with the zebra skin pattern. :D

djm
What's the rest of the outfit?
Fur hat, cape, leather pants?
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

djm wrote: Bag covers are traditionally green or purple, but it still seems nobody knows why. djm
They most certainly are not traditionally PURPLE,a lot maybe green but there is not a traditional colour,(thats why nobody knows anything about it),+ nobody cares except of course thee and me :wink:
ps I'll light a candle for ye next time I think o it,and offer up a prayer for your deliverence.(to wherever ye like!)
Slan Go Foill
Uilliam
brianc

Post by brianc »

With regard to the question, "How does it attach?" - -

Think of a pillow case.
srfmowman

Post by srfmowman »

The cover that came with my second hand set is open in the back like a pillow case. It is a couple of inches longer than the leather bag. I started using it when it got hot this summer. It hasn't moved anywhere during use.

John
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

There is a flag commonly seen at different events but I don,t know what it is called but it is dark green with a gold harp on it . I think green bag cover with gold trim is fairly traditional in keeping with those flag colours

RORY
Joseph E. Smith

I have always thought that 'traditional colours' were a forest green and a faded blue. Am I wrong in this way of thinking? What colours one chooses for their bag cover is, of course, a matter of taste.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

rorybbellows wrote:There is a flag commonly seen at different events but I don,t know what it is called but it is dark green with a gold harp on it . I think green bag cover with gold trim is fairly traditional in keeping with those flag colours
RORY
The flag ye refer to is one carried by the United Irishmen in the Great Rebellion of 1798.
Green is the National Colour of Ireland (the emerald isle etc)
The Tricolour(all genuflect at this point)was introduced in line with the French Ideal of Equality and Fraternity and their Tricolour.
The two traditions of Ireland, Green for Catholic and Orange for the rest, joined together in equality and fraternity by White was the general idea.Worked well didn't it???

Joseph is both right and wrang.
There is no TRADITIONAL colour for the bag cover....is there a traditional colour for GHB covers? noooh,so why should there be one for UPs.Its an American thing I think all this tradional stuff...well it is with the UPs...lets invent it as we go along seems to be the thinking and call it traditional.Thing is Ireland not so long ago was a poor poor country and the people by necessity had to be innovative and use whatever was to hand. This then became TRADITIONAL? if ye told one of the old timers "ah thats a lovely traditional green cover ye have there",he would probably laugh at ye ,call ye a thick eejit and tell ye they were old curtains being thrown away.Colour immaterial.
The choice of colour indeed material is individual so why not be so!
The tassles incidentally are a typical Tinker thing,they added colour all over the place to brighten up their caravans etc Fine if ye like that sort o thing but I find them gaudy when overdone and a nuisance when they get caught in the keys etc when the bag is folded up in the case.
There now,I think ye know where I stand with bag covers!
Joseph is right inasmuch ye should please yersel....but don't call it traditional!!! :boggle:
Uilliam
Joseph E. Smith

....uh, do you suppose you could be a little clearer on that? :D :D
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

I've got a purple bag cover and bellows pad, but only 'cause my daughter loves purple.