A Whistling Gentleman on Stage

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A Whistling Gentleman on Stage

Post by Dale »

I've been fooling around with amazon.com's very interesting new search engine, A9.com, and entering "tinwhistle" yielded this as the first-ranked image:

Turns out it's from a website from a European band called "Subway to Sally."

Discuss.

Dale
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I thought it might be from Wrestlemania. :wink: Change his name to The Whistling Warrior, give him a Serpent Village Smithy (it'd be the perfect foreign object), you'd have a champeen on your hands.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Wow. Alley Oop shaved his head (anyone remember that comic strip?).
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Nanohedron wrote:Wow. Alley Oop shaved his head (anyone remember that comic strip?).
He's a mean motor scooter and a bad go-getter.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I could never figure out why musicians (or artists in general?) feel that they have to go to such odd extremes in dress and personal style. Wierd.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I could never figure out why musicians (or artists in general?) feel that they have to go to such odd extremes in dress and personal style. Wierd.
I was thinking that about you, Steven. (Just kidding.)

I think the weird style is about exhibitionism. To get on stage and be seen, you have to play music or be a standup comedian. Stage magicians and animal tamers don't seem too ordinary, either.

I know a number of ITM musicians I think are a bit strange, but it's not manifested by outlandish dress.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

NorCalMusician wrote:I could never figure out why musicians (or artists in general?) feel that they have to go to such odd extremes in dress and personal style. Wierd.
Personally, I can't figure out why you change a few bits of cloth that you wear, or cut some hair a little differently, and people think it's so "odd." It's really funny how little a change will elicit strong negative reactions sometimes...

I think artists in general like to experiment with cultural reactions like that. Then again, some are just attention-seekers.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

TonyHiggins wrote:
I was thinking that about you, Steven.
Dang!!! Beat me to it, Tony. :evil:
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
jsluder

Re: A Whistling Gentleman on Stage

Post by jsluder »

DaleWisely wrote:Turns out it's from a website from a European band called "Subway to Sally."
So, does their set list include "Mustang Sally" and "Down in the Sally Gardens"? :wink:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Oh, boy, I feel the love. :roll:

My take is that if the music the people have to play is good enough they would not have to resort to outlandish style and get-ups to distract the audience.

Whatever. Just an opinion.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

IMHO . . . I have found that "most" people's outward appearance, in terms of what they do to their hair, what kind of clothes they wear, and so on, is an outward expression of what's in their heart. As for what motivates people, that is up for interpretation. I'm not saying it's good or bad . . .

It looks to me like this guy could use a fan or towel—he's building up a sweat there :)
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I wondered why we hadn't heard from Serpent for so long a time...
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

NorCalMusician wrote:Oh, boy, I feel the love. :roll:

My take is that if the music the people have to play is good enough they would not have to resort to outlandish style and get-ups to distract the audience.

Whatever. Just an opinion.
I've found that no matter how good you are, having a really hot chick in your band will increase your fan base ;)
emmline

Post by emmline »

He's just shirtless. What...you guys have a problem with shirtlessness? Is that it? Huh? 'Fess up. I don't think he looks so outlandish...a little paunchy maybe...but that's not a crime.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Nanohedron wrote:Wow. Alley Oop shaved his head (anyone remember that comic strip?).
and reapplied it to his chin...but really Nano, if he were Alley Oop his forearms would be bigger than his biceps. And there'd be a dinosaur behind him.