Lashana Tovah

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Daniel_Bingamon
antispam: No

Lashana Tovah

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Lashana Tovah - Happy New Year :party:

(Jewish New Year - Rosh Hashannah)
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

jkrazy52
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jkrazy52 »

Happy New Year, Daniel!

(... Walden, translate please for the Hebrew-challenged. It won't copy over to a translator :-? )

~Judy
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

jkrazy52 wrote: Walden, translate please
From Leviticus 23, "Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, In the seventh month, in the first day of the month, shall ye have a sabbath, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, an holy convocation."
Reasonable person
Walden
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Thank you! Your talents are beyond measure.

~Judy
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

May this be a year of reflection, growth and prosperity to all. Happy new year to our Jewish brothers and sisters. :party:
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

L'shanah Tovah to Daniel and all my other Jewish friends on C&F-- hope your holiday season is fulfilling and meaningful.
One of the Jewish customs that I love takes place during this week. Between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, we are supposed to ask family, friends and other acquaintences for forgiveness for any wrongs we may have done to them in the past year. The idea is that God won't give us forgiveness unless we have first recieved it from those people we have wronged. This includes unintentional or even unknown offenses, so in the spirit of the holiday season, if I've offended or hurt anyone here in the past year, I apologize, and ask your forgiveness. Thanks
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Lashana Tovah

Post by greenspiderweb »

Yes, Happy New Year, all!
~~~~
Barry
carrie

Post by carrie »

brewerpaul wrote:The idea is that God won't give us forgiveness unless we have first recieved it from those people we have wronged.
I was taught (by a reform rabbi) that if we aren't forgiven the first time we asked people we had wronged, we need to ask again, and then again if necessary. But it they won't forgive us after three (sincere) tries, we can consider ourselves square nonetheless.

Every year my kids and I go to the banks of a little river near our house, choose a stick, imagine putting all our transgressions from the past year on it, hold them in our mind for a moment, and then toss the stick into the water and watch it float away.

L'Shanah Tovah! May you be inscribed and sealed in the Book of Life!

Carol
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Thanks. L'shana Tovah everyone. :D
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

A happy and forgiving new year to all.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Daniel_Bingamon

brewerpaul wrote:The idea is that God won't give us forgiveness unless we have first recieved it from those people we have wronged. This includes unintentional or even unknown offenses, so in the spirit of the holiday season, if I've offended or hurt anyone here in the past year, I apologize, and ask your forgiveness. Thanks
This concept is also is very similar to the New Testaments's concept that God won't give us forgiveness unless we forgive others.

S'lach Lanu, Mikol Lanu, Kaper Lanu.
Daniel_Bingamon

Any Rosh Hashannah songs for tinwhistle? Avinu Malkenu has too much half-holing.

Post by Guest »

I follow all the festival days and was wondering about that as well. I can still play Ava Naguila ( dont know the spelling sorry ) on the Guirar because that was the first tune I managed to play well on it!

Don'f forget to be working on all the bad things that need fixing ! Yom Kippur is comming next!

:0)
Daniel_Bingamon

They call the days in-between, "The Day of Awe". At time for preparation for Yom Kippur.

Hava Nagila, uses several black notes on the piano. Verse: E E G# F E G# G# B A G A A C b a G# F E F G

Has anyone read the Tara Publications book, "Beyond Hava Nagila" it has some great information on the history of Jewish Music.
One of my favorite stories in the book is about the song, "Un az der Rebbe Zingt". The paid musicians one day wrote a song that was making fun of the congregation 'chasidim', since they would do everything the Rabbi did. They heard the musicians playing that song one day and they loved it. Now it's a part of tradition.