OT - Anyone into shakuhachi?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JessieK
antispam: No

OT - Anyone into shakuhachi?

Post by JessieK »

I caught the bug. Uh-oh. It annoys me that I got into it about a week after the NYC international shakuhachi festival, since I live an hour and a half north of the city. But anyway, I find that playing the whistle and flute prepared me for a nice embouchure on the shakuhachi, and I find the tone mesmerizing. It's so rich and full. It makes my Irish flutes seem thin in sound. Anyone else have this particular interest? It seeems fitting that I should get into it after years of loving sushi.

:)

(I am going to post this on the flute forum, too, as there are lots of people who go only there, and lots of people who come only here.)
~JessieD
emmline

Post by emmline »

Sorry. You're gonna have to post a pic of you shakin' you hachi before I'll even think about it. Sounds dangerous.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

In the right hands (and lips) the shakuhachi is an astoundingly good instrument. I've got one and can make some decent sounds with it, but I'm by no means proficient.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
AngeloMeola
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

I met a guy who makes shakuhachis when I was on vacation in Maui this summer. I was totally embarassed when I couldn't get a sound out of them. I just couldn't get the embrochure right. Doubly embarassing was that both of my daughters could at least get that basic blowing over a bottle sound.
Angelo
Eat well, drink well, laugh loud and often.
starman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by starman »

Well, I don't have or play one but I do have a few Riley Lee CD's I like pretty well.

Mike
"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." --Albert Einstein
emmline

Post by emmline »

Attempting to make amends for my stupid posts...I have never heard of one of those. Can anyone post a pic?
starman

Post by starman »

starman

Post by starman »

starman

Post by starman »

starman

Post by starman »

Sorry, mouse jitters here.

Mike
emmline

Post by emmline »

Nice to know I get results. Thanks Starman.
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

JessieK, Are you playing any tunes on it? With the 4 holes, how does that work? That is, do you play a diatonic scale on it or does it play more of an Eastern Scale of sorts? Maybe I should go and check out Riley Lee, that starman mentioned, on Amazon (if he's there) to get an idea for the sound. -mike
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Miwokhill wrote:JessieK, Are you playing any tunes on it? With the 4 holes, how does that work? That is, do you play a diatonic scale on it or does it play more of an Eastern Scale of sorts? Maybe I should go and check out Riley Lee, that starman mentioned, on Amazon (if he's there) to get an idea for the sound. -mike

The shakuhachi definitely plays an Eastern, pentatonic scale. It's cousin, the South American Quena is blown in a similar way and is diatonic.
Both of these flutes can be made from PVC plumbing pipe, for those who like to tinker.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

I had fun playing one when I visited a B&B in Berkley that had one. I was lucky they also had a tape I could imitate. It's owners thought I was brilliant as they'd never had a sound out of it, but any whistler on here could have played it after a few minutes of noodling.

N
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

There are five holes (the top on is on the back). The scale is minor pentatonic, the ame as on a Native American flute, although the shakuhachi has more than two octaves.

It is possible to play the western scale on it with half-holing and alternate blowing angles/techniques, but I am not playing Irish tunes on it. I have Irish instruments for that. Zen shakuhachi music is called honkyoku, and it is incredibly moving and beautiful.

The shakuhachi in the picture above is an extremely low budget one. Higher end ones are more interesting to look at and play better.

Here's a link to a site with some pictures. Scroll down and click on any of the instruments to see a bigger image of it.

http://www.nyogetsu.com/flutes.html
~JessieD