What was your first whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

My first was an old Fedog (IIRC) brass with a green fipple. I ruined it tuning it so I could play with a GHB.

My next was a James Galway whistle, aluminum with a black fipple, which I thought was the sweetest playing cheap whistle I had ever played at the time. (hah!).

Then the Generations and Clarkes started on my way with the WhOA disorder, along with the Burkes, but my current and long time fave is the Clarke Original in D, and for other keys, tossup between Clarke Original/Generation in C, Burkes in low A, G and D.
jbarter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jbarter »

My mother used to have a pen pal who played the whistle (not ITM BTW). When he died my mother received a number of his personal effects which he had arranged to be sent to her. Among them was an old Generation D marked "for the lad". I've been trying to remember how old I was without much success but it must be somewhere between 14 and 16.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
moxy

Post by moxy »

amar wrote:first whistle, genD
Ditto.

My second was an O'Briain modified Feadog, which I play quite regularly (the Generation has not seen the light of day since a month after I started playing).
trisha

Post by trisha »

Walton brass D now residing in the children-can-play-these pottery jug in the kitchen. I hate mouthpieces with chew marks..grrrr.

Trisha
Skyclad01
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just telling you something here so the 'Tell us something ' field can be completed.

Post by Skyclad01 »

My first one was a brass Acorn D, then i bought a nickel Generation D, and tomorrow i will be putting in a order for a black Meg C, and a silver Meg D.

Actually i just decided at the last minute to order Sweetone's C and D (natural) instead of the Meg. I havent read too many good things about the Meg other than its price, so i figured the Sweetone would be a much better choice. Though i may get a Meg one day eventually just to have variaty
Last edited by Skyclad01 on Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: What was your first whistle?

Post by colomon »

jsluder wrote:My first whistle was a rolled-tin, cylindrical whistle with a wooden fipple plug, made in a craft shop in Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia, USA.
Me too, though I was about twelve at the time, and mine was playable, though hardly a decent whistle. (And I'm not sure they're actually made at the craft shop -- didn't Dale track down the guy who made them for the craft shop?)

My first real whistle (fully playable and therefore played a lot) was a Water Weasel D. Alas, I accidentally broke it years ago.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Henke

Post by Henke »

I got a Generation brass D whistle and a Clarke original in C at the same time when I first started out. The brass Generation is still one of my first choices when I pick up a whistle. It's got a little tweaking and good tone. I don't like the Clarke originals as much any more. Don't know why, they just don't fit me very well. But I still keep the original C. It's got a black body with the gold diamonds rubbed off, no tweaking.
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

Acorn...another Acorn....Clarke...What the h*@%!!!! Burke ALPro D.. ahhhh...that's better!
"You have my undivided attention"
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

feadog - it was the cheapest instrument i could find in the music store.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

My first is no longer made. It was a Feadan made in County Clare. I was about 42 or 43 at the time. I still have it and it plays beautifully. I didn't really start playing until about a year and a half ago. I soon added all of the usual whistles. You know I just might buy some more.

Ron
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I bought a Generation Eflat in 1970 or 71, still have it and play it every now and again. Don't think any whistle I played after is better. If it hadn't been for the key of it, I probably wouldn't have needed another since.
starman

Post by starman »

Well, my first whistle is one my son bought a few years ago - a Soodlum's mello-D. He soon tired of it and a couple of years ago I found it and started noodling around on it. I then picked up a Gen-D in the local music store which I liked but couldn't see it was any better. Then I found a package deal on a Clarke original D with the Bill Ochs tutorial book and CD for $25 so I bought it mostly for the tutorial and because I thought I should have a Clarke (I do not like it). Well from there I thought I needed a Susato D and a somewhat quieter Dixon tuneable D. I no longer feel the need to buy any more (well I plan to get only one more-a Freeman tweaked nickel Gen-D one of these days). Of this lot, I actually think the old Soodlum's mello-D sounds best.

Cheers,

Mike
"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." --Albert Einstein
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

It was a SweeTone D (the Celtic model, painted green with a trinity knot
stamped on it) which was the only tinwhistle I could find in Raleigh at the time.
I was terrible at playing in the high octave, and gave up for a few years.
Then I spent a year in Maryland and found cheap group lessons there.
Now I have several cheapo whistles, but I mostly still play Sweetones.
Although, I'm starting to get dissatisfied with their sound, may have to start
spending real money (as opposed to fake money like that new $20 bill).
AngeloMeola
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

My first whistle was an Oak that I got when I was about 30. I played it for 15 years before buying another whistle. Once you master the breath control, an Oak is a great whistle. I still have it and play it occasionally.

Now, I mostly play a Hoover whitecap. I have 3 of them. One is on a clare 2-piece that I keep in the car. I also have a D and an A that are all Hoover's, both fipple and barrel. I just got a Jubilee practice low D. So far, I am using it as an aerobic exercise because it needs so much air. When I switch back to the Hoover, I can play some entire tunes without taking a breath.

I'm still waiting for the Sindt I have on order. I don't know how I avoided Whoa all those years. Playing one whistle for a long time really helps you to get the sound you want. I think it is the only way to reach the limit of what the whistle can do.

Angelo
Eat well, drink well, laugh loud and often.
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

AngeloMeola wrote: (Whitecap) One is on a clare 2-piece that I keep in the car.
Angelo
How does the Whitecap sound on a Clare two-piece?
"You have my undivided attention"