Farewell to America (hey, that'd be a good tune name)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

amar wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:
amar wrote:bland, very soggy vegetables with no salt...
Tsk. Martin and I were kind of focusing south of Hadrian's Wall...

http://www.taste-of-scotland.com/
i need say no more.
And all I'm saying is that if an Irishman posted a link to a company that no longer exists........

Well lets just say there would be talk....

Slan,
D.
:P
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scottielvr »

Wishing you safe journey and all the best in your new adventure...England is a land where a bit of my heart dwells (well, quite a bit more than a bit, actually); so I look forward to enjoying your experiences vicariously (when you find time to share them). Doubtless you'll accomplish much -- and enjoy even more. Cheers!
franfriel

Post by franfriel »

Have a blast in London. I swear there are more people from everywhere else in London than there are Londoners. Stay away from the Italian food if you go outside London (never knew anyone could actually mess up pasta so badly!).

Get used to a fine curry. They're everywhere. And if you meet any Scots, invite them for a curry and a pint and you'll have a friend for life (I married one). And btw, I've heard there are more indian restaurants in London than there are in New Dehli.

The chinese food is also quite good. One entertaining moment I shall always remember when I ordered chinese food at a carry out ("take way" in England) and the chinese guy spoke to me with an English/Chinese accent. I had a little moment of brain freeze confusion. Very cool.

As long as you stay in London you can still get Snapple and Ben & Jerry's icecream but stray afar and you'r stuck with "sh*t". But the awesome beer and fish & Chips makes up for everything. In any village you can get some good fish and chips and some will still wrap it up for you in newspaper (and their newpaper doesn't get ink all over your hands!).

And for heaven's sake, if in doubt of the accent don't ever call a Scot, a Welsh person or an Irish person BRITISH or ENGLISH! Ugh. I still have the scars.

Try the sweet popcorn at the movies. And if you love chocolate, you'll never want Hershey's again after all the Cadbury and Lindt, etc.

Be sure to visit the Tate museums, Kew Gardens (!!) and take a little ride up the Thames on one of the tourist barges. And of course there are castles and shattered abbeys galore. Be sure to spend some time in beautiful Cornwall and watch the kestrels hover above the cliff edges. I actually saw baby seagulls nesting on the cliffs near Tyntagel (sp?) and I lit a candle in Merlins cave.

Oh heck, just have an incredible time. So much to do and see in very short distances. Great transportation, too. You'll be leaving lots of wonderful things behind here in the states but there is so much to do, see and learn in the UK.

Get used to calling chips - crisps and french fries - chips. Look both ways when you cross the street because the traffic is coming is a different direction than you automatically think. And when driving, beware of the "round abouts". They're backwards! :D

Peace,
Fran
8)

PS - You can book REALLY cheap holidays from the UK to exotic places. We went to Majorca for a week (full board but the food was so-so) including air for under $500 (for 2 people!). This was just a couple of years ago so I suspect that's still the case.
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth creates a world that is blind and toothless - Ghandi

I suspect blind and toothless may not be optimum for good whistle playing...but then again...
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Beth:

It has been the upmost pleasure knowing you and dealing with you. You are for sure are classy individual. I hope you have a great time and get to enjoy the surroundings and get a great education to boot.

Farewell and following seas............... :)
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Martin Milner wrote:won't have:
Walmart
Well. that's at least ONE reason to jet off to jolly old England! :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
trisha

Post by trisha »

[quote="franfriel] As long as you stay in London you can still get Snapple and Ben & Jerry's icecream but stray afar and you'r stuck with "sh*t". But the awesome beer and fish & Chips makes up for everything. In any village you can get some good fish and chips and some will still wrap it up for you in newspaper (and their newpaper doesn't get ink all over your hands!).

[/quote]

Well...Ben and Jerry's icecream is found all over...even in the wilds of the Welsh Marches, so no fears Beth, travel around a bit and have ice cream just like home. Or taste one of the plethora of cracking farm made organic luxurious ice creams made here in the good ole UK...my smilies won't work <BG>

Best,

Trisha

Edited for leaving out a ]. Never mind, still didn't work.
Last edited by trisha on Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

Hope you come back to C&F soon, Beth. Congratulations on your move!

Cara
moxy

Post by moxy »

Beth!! Have a great trip, a great arrival, hope you love school, and I hope to meet you in Ireland at the Ennis festival in November!!

Wow, this is so exciting!!

Enjoy :)
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Just remember if you go outside of Lunnon - "Don't 'e go over the moors at night if there's a full moon" :devil:
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

jbarter wrote:Just remember if you go outside of Lunnon - "Don't 'e go over the moors at night if there's a full moon" :devil:
<nods sagely whilst puffing on pipe> Aarrrr.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Martin Milner

Safe & Sound

Post by Martin Milner »

Beth has arrived safely, and a friendly Londoner met her at the airport and helped carry the mountain of luggage.

The doctor says the hernias will go down in about a month.
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Should be two weeks at most Martin! And come on now...I saw (and hefted) those bags yesterday morning before she left - they're only one hernia bags at most....one and a half if you had to lug them uphill - both ways - in the snow... :)
tomcat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

enjoy it all beth . . . oh and don't forget to study....
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Have a good time in London?

Question: Do they have Yuppie free neighborhoods over there?
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Have a marvellous time, and keep us posted from time to time!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!