Sushi and whistling

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
caniadafallon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sushi and whistling

Post by caniadafallon »

Two of my favorite things, but thanks to one I cannot enjoy the other.... I got a "slightly off" Spicy Salmon Maki the other night, and now I can't whistle or toot a flute because it makes my stomach roll. :cry:

Has anyone actually ever died of Whistling and Fluting Withdrawal?? Who cares about the food poisoning, I need medication for W.F.W.

::shuffles back to bed::
Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
~Berthold Auerbach
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

awwww...poor you....at least you can still do the 'stomach roll'

hope you'll feel better soon..
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I hear the stomach roll is a delicacy in some parts of the Pacific Rim.

And you should always, always, always rinse between sushi and whistling. Always.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

How sweet it is... to catch a fish... so juicy sweeeeeeeeeet!!

"slightly off" Spicy Salmon Maki... they don't tastes nice do they Precious?

Stick a decent CD on and 'play' a virtual whistle along with it... if'n you close your eyes, imagine yourself playing, and 'finger' the pretend whistle, you're still effectively 'practicing' as far as the brain is concerned.

Hope you feel better soon, and that no-one thoughtlessly leaves a rollerskate on the floor 'twixt you and the bathroom!
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

"A stomach roll!" Neat! Will eating any fish help in playing a stomach roll? Or does it have to be sushi?

Hey! Instead of step dancing while playing the whistle, it would be neat to do some belly dancing, using the stomach roll!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Sushi is my favorite food. When I was pregnant, I couldn't eat it (at least not the raw kinds, which I love, especially tuna) because I wanted to do the right thing for my baby, and the morning sickness made me gag when I put ANYTHING in my mouth (food, toothbrush, whistle). So I feel your pain!
~JessieD
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

My sympathy, caniadafallon - I love sushi too, but bad sushi can be *really* bad, can't it? :( Just don't let it spoil your love of sushi. One of my biggest regrets is all the years I wouldn't dream of eating raw fish - I was out of college before I learned to love sushi. All that wasted time . . .

And Jessie - I know how hard it is. My wife did the same thing during both her pregnancies, and she's a bigger sushi-lover than I am, if that's possible. A few months after our younger daughter was born (and just after she'd stopped breastfeeding) we went to my company's holiday party, sharing the table with a friend who'd had her baby at about the same time. Among the offerings was a sushi bar (with the chef making them as you watched). My friend's husband and I spend most of the night fetching sushi, because our wives started feeling a little embarassed after their third trip back . . . where two small women found the room I'll never know. Sushi deprivation is a terrible thing. :twisted:
caniadafallon

Post by caniadafallon »

Well, I was able to drink a little bit of juice smoothie (green apple, kiwi, mango, star fruit, spirulina, blue green algae) and not feel too icky. First food I've had since Monday evening. Yay!! Thanks to those who have wished me a speedy recovery and offered sympathies for my plight. :)

DCrom, no worries-- I would never let a little bad salmon slow me down in my sushi pursuits... ;)

~Ad
Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
~Berthold Auerbach
dlovrien

Post by dlovrien »

Glad to find so many sushi lovers here. I've been wondering if I could dare serve sushi when I host a session at my home. I just might try it now...

My stomach already has enough rolls. I need to work out more.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

We have a tradition out here of having a big sushi session soon after St Patrick's Day, as a sort of antidote....
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Sushi is my favorite food also. I could live on it...in some alternate universe, anyway (since the nearest sushi is at least an hour and a half away <sigh>) It's the only food I adore that's healthy (well, nearly always healthy, anyway) :wink: Yellowtail is my favorite, yummm....

In other trivia, a "stomach roll" is also a move in belly dancing... that bit where a skilled dancer ripples her abdominal muscles. Quite difficult...requiring a distressingly high level of toning. Your basic belly dancing is fun, though, and marvelous exercise.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

My wife made me learn to make sushi so she could have some right away after our son was born..

She's a lucky girl. :D
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

She sure is! Kind of a funny reason to give birth, though, but I've heard of worse.... <<salivating over yummy-looking rolls>> :wink:
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I told my husband and my mom that I wanted sushi immediately after giving birth, but then with the breastfeeding thing, I had to put it off longer. Hmph.

I had some today for lunch (no rice, though, as I am on a diet). :)
~JessieD
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Sushi goes great with whistling. I'm not too keen on wasabi... I've never liked horseradish tasting stuff. The thing to remember about stomach rolls is the rhythm, not the notes.

Cheers,
Aaron