Ivan & The Undisputed

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
SirNick
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

I just spoke to my cousins from New Orleans. They went up to Huntsville, AL to hold out during the storm. My family and I got our vacation in luckily in Destin, FL two weeks ago! Whew!! Dale, do you have a home owners insurance "rider" for your whistle collection? At least keep a good picture on file. :) Wooden whistles hate hurricanes!
"You have my undivided attention"
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

I'll keep everyone updated, at least until the electricit
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

My grandmother sold her house near NOLA (that's New Orleans Louisiana for the unannointed) and moved North this summer. She couldn't have timed it better.

NOLA has seen its fair share of hurricanes (and I don't mean the potent potable from Pat O'Brien's). You can tell by the X-shaped tape marks on all of the windows.
DaleWisely wrote:I'll keep everyone updated, at least until the electricit
Nice try. We know you couldn't have hit "submit" if the power w
curioso

Post by curioso »

Dale,

Be sure & let us know which tunes best accompany hurricanes... :o
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

curioso wrote:Dale,

Be sure & let us know which tunes best accompany hurricanes... :o
Like a Hurricane - Neil Young
Riders on the Storm - Doors
Storm Warning - Bonnie Raitt
Hurricane - Bob Dylan
Stormy Weather - Ella Fitzgerald

Thats enough of that for now......

Slan,
D.
:wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
John-N

Post by John-N »

david-z wrote:Be kinda cool to make a giant whistle to take down with ya---Washington Monument -- hollowed out.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Oh, I'll definitely be using that Washingon Monument image. That's great.

Hurricane Ivan update September 16 7:30 a.m.

Ivan has devastated the Mobile & Gulf Shores, Alabama areas. (We were due to go to Gulf Shores tomorrow. The road that runs along the beach is covered with seawater, sand, coke machines, pieces of roof, etc. etc.) No comfirmation yet of number of fatalities but we know of at least two in the area.

The first band of the hurricane is on us as I write with wind gusts of 45 mph. We're expected to get gusts of 50-70 mph by midday. Miraculously, the fragile power grid in my area of Birmingham, AL is still up. (It's fragile due to the fact that this area is heavily wooded). But the power will definitely be going down for a few days. I've got food, water, and lots of alternate lighting sources.

I'll report back when power comes back up.

Best to all,

Dale
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Good to hear from you Dale...I was wondering how you've been faring. We'll be looking forward to hearing from you once the power is back on.

Heather
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

jim stone wrote:The university is very near Lake Pontchartrain,
Beware of airborne alligators.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

DaleWisely wrote:The first band of the hurricane is on us as I write with wind gusts of 45 mph. We're expected to get gusts of 50-70 mph by midday.
Hey, 45mph is just about right for good windsurfing. 60-70 is outa my range. Not much fun really. I've stood on the shore, leaning into the wind, and watch what we call "liquid smoke" blowing off the waves. It's like a heavy rain storm...you can't see more than a hundred or two feet ahead.

Watch out for flying surfboards! There's always some nut out there trying to ride a hurricane!

Oh...I was windsurfing with John Kerry, in the Columbia River Gorge, a few weeks ago. I didn't realize he was on the river just below me, within sight, but found out later that night at the local brew pub. Everyone was talking about it. He's quite a kite surfer. Maybe I'll vote for him. hummm.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Well, it's 4:30 p.m. in Alabama and, obviously, we still have power. I have a very large limb on top of a wooden fence and lots of vegetation debris on my roof and yard, but otherwise we're in amazingly good shape. A half-million people in Alabama have no power but, somehow, we were spared that inconvenience.

We're very sad about the deaths in our state and in Florida related to this storm and we wait to hear the bad news about exactly how many died.

We're also sad because Gulf Shores, Alabama, where we frequently vacation and were scheduled to go tomorrow, has been devastated by the hurricane.

Thanks to all!

Dale
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Hang in there Bro.

this is from the BBC.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3661040.stm

Keeping everything that crosses crossed,

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
jen f

Post by jen f »

Dale, I'm glad your family and your home fared well through the storm.

I too have frequented Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, and several places along the Florida panhandle on family vacations. The news footage was amazing; I could hardly believe it was the same place. I'm sure they will rebuild, but it will take some time.
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

Dale,
Glad to hear you have weatherd the storm well.
I hope all goes well with your community. It is a hidden blessing how natural disasters seem to bind us together in adversity.

Playing An Feochan (Gentle Breeze).
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

The remnants of Ivan just hit this part of NC (Raleigh is an hour and 1/2 inland).
It's definately not hurricane strength, but large limbs are being blown off of trees.
A large section of a Bradford pear just fell on my coworker's new VW Taureg. D'oh.
One of our ceiling sprinklers is wobbling back and forth, and no one really knows why.

If it's this windy here (and Ivan's just barely even a depression anymore),
I'd hate to have seen it at full strength. Good grief.

At least it's been a while since Floyd. I was starting to get a little annoyed with the news
coverage. Those people were jumping at every tropical storm that formed for a couple
years. The vigilance this year has died down to the regular tracking updates and NPR
discussing whether we should be sending reporters on location to cover landfall...