Sweetheart Professional Model: Some Questions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Eric N
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sweetheart Professional Model: Some Questions

Post by Eric N »

The first things that stands out to me about the Sweetheart Professional Model is the look http://www.sweetheartflute.com/whistles.html . But I really dont know much more about it. Anybody played one? What do you like/dislike about it?

Eric
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Here's one place to start: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ofessional

I've been tempted by it, but now that I know that they aren't very good about replying to email, I'm not sure. There are plenty of makers here on the board who are very responsive--and whose products I haven't tried yet.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

Nice pure tone, but very loud.
~JessieD
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

JessieK wrote:Nice pure tone, but very loud.
Louder than a Bleazey?
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

One neat feature is that you can buy an optional piccolo head for this whistle and play it crosswise. The tiny embouchure takes some practice, but it's fun to play that way.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

NorCalMusician wrote:
JessieK wrote:Nice pure tone, but very loud.
Louder than a Bleazey?
Yes.
~JessieD
trisha

Post by trisha »

I got a bargain mint one on ebay...previous owner wasn't sure what it was made of, but the sticker gave it away.

It is very loud as Jessie says and IMO good for sessions etc where you need to be heard and don't want to worry about swabbing out or the effect of damp weather etc on a timber whistle or your alu freezing up. So it's rugged too. Preferable to plastic for those, like me, with a plastic allergy :lol: .

Not sure how to explain this, but it doesn't sound quite like a timber whistle to me, and the whiff of resin is still there...not my favouite whiff. My blackwood Sweetheart Kilhoury stands a fair way higher in my estimation than this, but it's an old model.

Trisha
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

How is the Killhoury I kind of want a 3 key one. :D
Eric N

Post by Eric N »

Thank you. At this moment it is between a Sweatheart and a Burke for the one high-end whistle I am going to buy. Is the Sweatheart harsh?
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I played a Sweetheart Rosewood for a few minutes and just loved it. I am a relative beginner but I found this whistle extremely easy to play and with a beautiful sound. I will probably buy one someday soon but a just got a couple of other options. I have never played a Burke. I really want the Busman Birdseye Maple. Time will tell.

Ron
trisha

Post by trisha »

No, but an acquired taste at the very top end (as with many whistles I concede). I'd go the Burke route for now. I love my wide bore brass C and my alu Bb...the alto F is on the transfer list.

I don't have a high D as I prefer alto whistles and have other high Ds that suit already, but there are plenty would recommend them.

Trisha
tommyk

Post by tommyk »

I'm not sure about the Kilhoury, I think that's been discontinued. But I got my 3-key African Blackwood whistle with an interchangable fife head back at the end of Spring.

I love the thing. I'm still not proficient enough on the fife to really get tons of use out of that yet. But yet.

The whistle is the loudest I own or have ever owned. The keys are very nice additions.

Hang in there. They are VERY busy, but well worth the wait!
- Tommy Kochel

The Knotwork Band

www.theknotworkband.com
FaceBook: The Knotwork Band
theknotworkband@gmail.com
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

Darwin wrote:
I've been tempted by it, but now that I know that they aren't very good about replying to email, I'm not sure. There are plenty of makers here on the board who are very responsive--and whose products I haven't tried yet.
I've owned 3 Sweethearts and they are nice enough instuments IMO especially at the price you can find them preowned but....
Thank you. At this moment it is between a Sweatheart and a Burke for the one high-end whistle I am going to buy. Is the Sweatheart harsh?
Eric N
Yes compared to the Burke and I've always got a reply from Michael who's a great guy.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I love my Sweetheart Pro, but as several people have said, it is loud. That's one reason I bought it...I needed a whistle with plenty of volume for Morris that had a better sound (to my ear) and look than my Susatos. It's really a nice tooter, but not one for playing when the baby's asleep, that's for sure!

I wouldn't call it harsh, though.

I got a Burke for my birthday, and I'm utterly charmed by it. Wonderful, complex sound. Unless you need one for playing at volume, you might prefer a Burke for now...kinda depends on you.

Redwolf
Last edited by Redwolf on Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Eric N

Post by Eric N »

Thank you for all the imput. I think I will go for the Burke.