Any tips for playing flute outdoors in the wind?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
headwizer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Any tips for playing flute outdoors in the wind?

Post by headwizer »

I practice outside as often as possible. I can play the whistle just fine in even in gusty winds. The flute, on the other hand, goes mute on me in the great outdoors. One note may come out loud and strong, but then the next one reluctantly issues forth and the rest may be silent no matter how hard I huff and puff. Any tricks to playing the flute outside when there's a wind blowing?
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I had this problem when on vacation with someone who complained about my flute playing. It was in an EXTREMELY windy place. Moving to another side of the house did no good, because the wind was swirling everywhere. I never found a solution.

However, I was just in another windy place with someone susceptible to headaches. This place was close to the coast, so the wind was directional. I found that if I stood with my back to the wind, it was manageable. I dunno if this would help you, as many windy places are swirly too. If there are any large trees, they might provide more protection. If not, plywood and 2x4's are cheap, maybe a leanto? :)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Dana

Post by Dana »

I agree with Chas, you gotta play with your back to the wind, if at all possible. Who'd want to spit into the wind, anyway? :P
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Yep, like Charles and Dana said, back to the wind. I just played in 20-25 mph gusts on lunch break. With the wind blowing at the back of your head, and your lips as close as possible to the embouchure hole, it works...maybe not perfectly, but I made it through several reels and jigs without significant problems. Oh, and sometimes it helps to tilt your head down a bit, too.

Eric
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I'm rather surprised that whistle appeared wind-immune, because mine are far from it. I have found that a loud whistle fares better than a soft one - my original-model Serpent Polly does the best of the ones I've tried.

Never tried to play flute outdoors, but fife works pretty well. I suspect that just as with the louder whistles, it's the relatively large amounts of tightly-focused air that makes the difference.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I actually once had to play about 90% of an outdoor gig with my back to the audience because of the wind.

In other situations I've found that a music stand raised up high can work in a pinch; another useful windbreak is having a 6'4" ex-rugby-player on guitar. :lol:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Cathy Wilde wrote:I actually once had to play about 90% of an outdoor gig with my back to the audience because of the wind.
That famous Eric Clapton look.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

glauber wrote:That famous Eric Clapton look.
Yes, but unfortunately his posterior is considerably, ummm, more attractive than yrs. trly's. :lol:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Cathy Wilde wrote:
Yes, but unfortunately his posterior is considerably, ummm, more attractive than yrs. trly's. :lol:
Why don't you post a few pictures, then we can say if we agree with you or not! :devil:
--Wellsprings--
Denny

Post by Denny »

glauber wrote:
Cathy Wilde wrote:
Why don't you post a few pictures, then we can say if we agree with you or not! :devil:
dogs...
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

I dont feel like playing when its windy,not because I am wearing a wig. :o
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

glauber wrote: Why don't you post a few pictures, then we can say if we agree with you or not! :devil:
I personally find this one from my Miss Ireland 2004 campaign especially ..... appealing. ;-)

glauber

Post by glauber »

You win. Next to you, Clapton is just a spud! :P
--Wellsprings--
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Back on track: it's gotta do with embouchure. Used to be I had to turn my back to the wind, but now I can play facing the wind, too, and usually with no issues. It's when the wind blows sideways to me that my tone gets spirited away. What I'm figuring is that if I've been able to get the front-on winds licked, why not any wind, come to that, with time and practice? Someone once told me that one of the greats (I forget who, now) could play al fresco in all conditions and not have to scamper about due to the wind. At the time I thought that was just a load of BS, and even though there may still be some altitude to the tale, now I'm starting to rethink this issue, and am trying to find the grail of the bulletproof flute/lip interface.

I mean, it could happen.

......sorry, the whole issue was tips, wasn't it. My frontal winds breakthrough can be attributed to the advice I got from John Williams about changing my embouchure. Some of you may recall a couple of fawning posts that I wrote somewhere concerning the details of this: corners of the mouth turned down, and upper lip forming something of a canopy over the blowhole, and of course blowing more into the hole. This form may prove to be able to deal with sidewinds as I develop the technique, I'm thinking. Anyway, I'm giving it a try. :)
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

OK, OK -- you're right, Nano.

It is strange -- I don't recall any major trouble before, even through 8 years of Midwestern marching bands in all kinds of weather, but this one World Fest gig last September -- whew! Nearly impossible. (And I really felt sorry for the Andean panpipes guys.)

But overall I believe your thinking is right on. Though I'm not sure if that alone would resolve serious crosswinds issues -- ? (For those I still just drop my chin & jaw & tuck the flute into my shoulder some) But I'm willing to give it a whirl. Alas, we only have two more outdoor gigs this year, but if either one's windy I'll let you know how it goes!

But until then .... I only have eyes for Glauber. :tomato: