Self-diagnosis test for music dependency

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

How many "yes" answers?

Zero
No votes
1-2
No votes
3-5
No votes
6-8
14%
9-11
21%
12-14
25%
15-17
18%
18-20
14%
21-23
7%
24 - This is my medical report.
No votes

Total votes: 28

avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Self-diagnosis test for music dependency

Post by avanutria »

Found on a site posted by Lixnaw in the Banjo Thread:

http://www.klezmusic.com/sbx-info/musicolism.html

What are the signs of Musicolism?

The MD (Music Dependency) Self Test

Here is a self-test to help you review the role music plays in your life. Print it out and answer as truthfully as you can. These questions incorporate many of the common symptoms of musicolism. This test is intended to help you determine if you or someone you know needs to find out more about musicolism; it is not intended to be used to establish the diagnosis of musicolism.

....Yes.....No

1. ____ ____ Do you ever indulge in music heavily when you are disappointed, under pressure or have quarrelled with someone?

2. ____ ____ Can you handle more music now than when you first started to play?

3. ____ ____ Does your spouse or significant other resent your music?

4. ____ ____ When playing with other people, do you try to get in few extra tunes?

5. ____ ____ Do you sometimes feel uncomfortable when music is not available?

6. ____ ____ Are you in more of a hurry to get your first tune of the day than you used to be?

7.____ ____ Do you sometimes feel a little guilty about your music?

8. ____ ____ Has a family member or close friend ever expressed concern or complained about your playing?

9. ____ ____ Do you avoid parties or gatherings where you can't play music?

10.___ ____ Do you sometimes have memory blackouts about tune names?

11.____ ____ Do you often want to continue playing after your friends say they've had enough?

12. ____ ____ Do you ever find yourself spending money on music that was budgeted for something else?

13 .____ ____ Do you usually have a reason for occasions when you play heavily?

14 .____ ____ Have you tried switching instruments or changing styles to control your music habit?

15. ____ ____ Have you ever failed to keep promises you made to yourself about controlling or cutting down on your playing?

16 .____ ____ Do you try to avoid family or close friends while you're playing?

17. ____ ____ Do you think about music while you're at work?

18. ____ ____ Does your involvement in music create financial, work, school and/or family problems?

19. ____ ____ Do you eat very little or irregularly while you are playing music?

20. ____ ____ Do wake up in the morning with a tune in your head or thinking about the next opportunity to play music?

21. ____ ____ Do you sometimes attend events where you play music continuously for several days at a time?

22. ____ ____ After periods of playing music do you sometimes hear tunes although no one is playing?

23. ____ ____ Do you keep hidden instruments at home or work?

23 . ____ ____ Have you ever gone to anyone for help about your music?

24 . ____ ____ Do you ever feel depressed or anxious before, during or after periods of heavy music indulgence?

More than one "yes" answer indicates you may be at a greater risk for musicolism. Five or more "yes" answers may indicate the presence of a music-related problem or musicolism, and the need for consultation with musicolism professional.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:o
AAAGGHHH....

I need help.A lot of help.An awful lot of help!!!!

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by burnsbyrne »

Oh, Lord! What have I done? :boggle: :oops:

My score was 11 but only because my wife knows that I am a much greater pain in the ass without music than with it.
Mike
Last edited by burnsbyrne on Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

I was a little disappointed that there wasn't any music on the website. It depressed me so I hid under my desk and played a few whistle tunes.
"You have my undivided attention"
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I scored 16! Luckily, I'd just come inside from playing flute during my 30 minute lunch period, and I hope to catch a few tunes before the bus comes this afternoon...so that might make me feel better. AND, I have a business trip tomorrow which means 2-3 hours at night of uninterrupted hotel room practice time (on flute, not whistle - I think whistles in hotel rooms are cruel...unless they're low whistles naturally).

Come on everyone, fess up about your score!

Eric
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

fluter_d

Post by fluter_d »

Ummm... twenty*cough*one....
Sick. Very sick. :o
Deirdre
izzarina

Re: OT: Self-diagnosis test for music dependency

Post by izzarina »

I answered about 10 of them, then decided I was a lost cause. SIGH!!! So who is starting the support group? When we meet, can we start with a tune or two (or three...or four....), just to break the ice? :D
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I am a very sick person, but then you all knew that, right? I got 20.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

I got 6.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Hmmm, there should be some way for us to make a buck off this. This questionaire was obviously lifted from one originally about drinking, and alcoholism is recognized as a disease - complete with coverage of treatment under many medical plans and destined soon (if it hasn't already) to break into the bigtime as a "disability" under the ADA.

So, if musicism is a disease that prevents our normal functioning in society then we should be able to go out on disability pensions and spend all our time playing... :)

Well, that's my story and I'm stickin' too it, anyway. ;)
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

Well, I scored a 14, but a lot of the questions pertaining to domestic, financial, and issues of guilt did not apply to my situation. I'm blessed with a wife who fully supports and appreciates my musical endeavors even though I'm too twisted to participate in a "normal" social environment any more. She does, however, demand that I print out the music for new tunes that I learn.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I scored 6. I am surprised that I am at the very low end of the spectrum, because I play virtually every day, I perform in public, I write my own songs. Some of the questions are related to ego, such as wanting to be in the spotlight in group settings, and buying lots of equipment. So while music is a huge part of my life, fancy gear and stroking my ego are not the driving factors for me (though they are nice to indulge in:)).
+ Bill
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Sounds like we are going to need a denial survey too ;)

I am playing lots of music this morning to celebrate selling my car! Too bad it's been so long that I can only remember four or five tunes...