Low whistle thoughts and questions...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Miwokhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Miwokhill »

Since I've only started playing most people advised against trying the low whistle until I was able to at least play the high one. This included shop owners and against all wisdom I went ahead and got a Dixon Low D along with a nontunable high D. The Dixon's seem to be fairly popular although they don't seem to be all much favored here at C&F. The low whistle is a challange to be sure but I'm getting it fairly quickly considering. I usually play a tune on the high and then try to play it on the low. At the risk of restating the obvious I've noticed some seemingly partial info on the piper's grip. It usually says to use the second finger pad but as I understand it this is true for the first and second fingers but for the third finger you use the first pad as usual. You can do it with all second pads but using this first pad on the #3 fingers makes all the difference to me. Maybe all that goes without saying and my inexperience is showing my ignorance in restating this. Does anyone use all second pads, or am I off the mark with my technique? I'm also thinking of getting the Dixon G and possibly the low C tube that fits my D. The affordability of the Dixon's is a plus to be sure but I like them although I haven't any other low whistle experience to compare it to. I see the Jubilee Low practice whistle has a new improved version for $22. for anyone who's thinking about giving the low whistle a whirl. It has closer fingering than most, or all perhaps, of all the lows. Also the Mack Hoover Whitecap Low D at $65.00 may be a good starting point. I just read here on C&F that they are easy fingering stretch-wise. Any advice or thoughts on choices or my fingering on lows would be appreciated! mike :) I'll throw in that after searching the board for Dixon Lows they do indeed get quite good reviews. I just hadn't read much about them in the last couple of weeks or so.
Last edited by Miwokhill on Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngeloMeola
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

I just got a Jubilee practice low-D. I find that I can cover all the holes using the same grip as I use on a high-D. I just keep my fingers flat and use the finger pads (where the fingerprints are). If I'm a little off in placing my finger, I just let whatever part hits cover the hole.
Angelo
Eat well, drink well, laugh loud and often.
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

Angelo, That's good to know about the Jubilee and being able to just use standard fingering. I'd almost want to use the piper's grip even on the Jubilee so I'd get the hang of it if I went to another low whistle. I may get one just to check them out though I'm worried I'll spend $25 here and $50 there and then wish I had just gotten a Chieften or another high end whistle to begin with! mike
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I agree.....I would work with a high D before attempting the Low's. Then I would start out with a $40 to $50 Low F....to see if you are going to stick with the Low's. I would suggest a Susato or Jubilee.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hello Miwokhill,
I don't think people should be limited to high whistles if they want to play low ones. You can start on either if you are determined enough, and with practice it all works out.
I started on low A, then quickly went to low D, and later got some high D's because they were so cheap.
I find what works best for me is using the 2nd pads on all but the bottom finger, which I use the 1st pad. It seems the position with the least stess on the hand muscles. You may find it different for you, but I would try that one and see if it works for you.
There are references out there that show you how, and that might be good, for the best technique. I go with what is most comfortable for my hands/wrists/fingers, and find it quite natural now to use the piper's grip on all whistles up to about high C, where I switch back to the 1st pads.
The position you hold the whistle in also affects how your hands work. I hold mine straight down, and close to my body-comfort is the key. Some people like to tilt their whistles left or right and up or down a little, along with the fipple straight(me) or to the left or right as it is held in the mouth.
I have never played a Dixon whistle, but there a lot that swear by them. So I would say, yes, stick to the Dixon until you definitely are ready to upgrade instead of spending the $25 here, $35 there, $60 there, because you are right, then you will have spent what you could have on one great whistle that will keep you smiling for a long time!
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~
Barry
Jim Wright

Low Whistle

Post by Jim Wright »

Have a Rayburn .. maple head .. standard bore .. offset fingering ..

Very easy to play with finger tips ... holes are big so it did take awhile to get to where I covered them all.

Jim
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

greenspiderweb, Thanks for your feedback and encouragement. I guess I have the grip right at least as far as the finger pads go. It just seemed like some references were leaving out to use the first pad on that bottom finger.-- I've actually been surprised that the low whistle isn't quite as hard as I thought it might be. It's not nearly as easy as the high whistle of course- and I'm mainly refering to the grip and producing a nice tone. I like the Dixon quite a bit so really have no reason to jump around right now and look for something else. Do you have a favorite low whistle yourself? mike
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

You have to be aware that "easy-playing" and "easy-reach" can (altho not always) mean smaller bore diameters for the barrel, maybe smaller holes, so that the tube or holes aren't too fat or big for your hands or fingers.

However, that can translate to lower volume for the whistle, esp the lower register. If yr whistles have to compete with drums, synths, guitar, and bass in a band, that could be a problem.

I dunno abt Dixon low Ds, but I have a Dixon low A, G and F. The A and G are fine, but the F is too soft, because I think (can't recall offhand) he used the same diameter bore tube as the low G.

Hoovers - I have low E and Eb whitecaps, and CPVC low D. Easy reach and playing, but certainly on the soft side.

I have played a friend's low D Susato. Barrel not too fat, and good volume, but 1 or 2 of the holes were too big for me to cover comfortably.

On the other hand, I have Overton low F and D. They have sufficient volume and yet holes and barrel thickness are comfortable, at least for me. They are however more expensive than the above 2 brands.

So design does play a part in all this, but you have to check and ask around, as well as decide for yourself what you want the whistle for, and what your budget is. If you can try the whistles before purchase, that would be best.
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

You must learn to play high d before low whistle.
You must learn piccolo before flute.
You must learn cello before bass.
You must learn lyre before harp.
You must learn melodeon before piano.
You must learn alto sax before before tenor. :D

If you want to learn Low Whistle go for it. The sooner you start the sooner you'll become familiar with it.You have to do something to get good at it I always say Watson.They do require more air and have a longer stretch between holes.So does a bassoon but we don't see budding basoon players first doodeling around with the oboe . Go ahead and start developing those attributes now.As stated earlier in this thread there are some very affordable Low Whistles on the market now so cost isn't something as prohibitive as it may have been.They are also very re-sellable.
The high and low are certainly very similar yet one ain't the other. If they were one wouldn't be more drawn to the low haunting sound of the low over the also fine qualities of the highs'.
I guess my point is if ya wanna learn to drive a car you don't have to start with a go cart , which I admit may be helpfull for some.
I'm going to the flute forum now as I would like to learn the flute and need to find out how much I should be paying for a used piccolo. :) Yer fren ,Sherlock Jones
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I have a Dixon low D. Sounds OK, and a very easy reach, but the comments about "lower volume" are spot on. With the small holes and shorter reach, it's possible to play it with the fingerpads if you have average sized hands.

When I got a Howard low D, I thought it was impossible to play - much bigger holes, and a bit more reach. But I practiced, and tried piper's grip. After a few days, it seemed possible. After a bit longer, I came to prefer the Howard - much more resonant, much more responsive, and the pipers grip was beginning to seem natural.

These days, I only play the Dixon as a flute (I got the optional flute head, as well as the whistle head). But the Howard low D gets played all the time. Don't get me wrong - the Dixon wasn't a bad whistle. But, IMHO, the Howard is a better whistle - or, at least, much more to my taste.

Other low whistles I've triied and liked (but don't own yet) - Overtons, Chieftains, Reyburns, Copelands - all seem easier with piper's grip, and some require it. And now that I'm comfortable with piper'sgrip, even the Dixon and my Serpent F - quite managable with finger tips - are easier to play.
Last edited by DCrom on Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kga26

Post by kga26 »

Hey, I played Tenor recorder for years , and found the low D easier than the high D. I do have large hands for a girlie though. I found that I just use the same fingering for both whistles. Maybe it's just a case of getting used to it. I also 'pick around' on the guitar, and find that if I have not played for a while, it really hurts my fingers at first. I don't think that you have to start with the high D and work down. I think it is the same old adage..practice makes perfect. If you love the sound of the Low D, then make it your priority and prepare for achey fingers in the beginning. Every day I practice, I generally see a small improvement in my playing (there are some bum days too!).
Most of all, enjoy it , and experiment I don't think there is a magic formula other than just sticking at it, but at least you are making your own music -which IS a magical thing to do!
littlejohngael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

I had limited experience with the tinwhistle (soprano D), but I wanted to learn the Low whistle. ... It's totally doable. Not a problem. I started on a Kerry and moved to an Alba. Very nice.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I wouldn't get super specific about which pad of which finger to use when pipering a low whistle. It may vary depending on your stretchability, hole spacing, and hole size for a particular whistle. I have to work that out with each whistle.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

The Jubilee has the easiest fingering of any low D I have tried. However, it takes a huge amount of air. I understand that Daniel has a new version with lower air requirements.

I think it just takes practice until you get used to a particular whistle.

Ron
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

I started from the low D, and don't regret I took this direct route.
Ok, I had a hell of a time for the first two weeks, then it grew up on me after two months.
A stretching exercise shown to me by Phil Hardy certainly helped. Now I'm comfy with the low C.
Ok, here's the replay : http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... tch#227707

I took up the high whistle just because it's more comfortable to play along with these tutorial books.
I don't diss them, but they're still not my voice: shriek, loud, ear-drums damaging when you hit altissimo and usually a nuisance to the family (and/or pets) when practicing.
Low whistles, or just alto (F, G, A) are mellower and so much more accepted--especially with a beginner player...