What is your Favorite "High-End" Whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What is your favorite "high-end" Whistle?

Copeland
6%
Overtone
9%
Chieftain
5%
Burke
41%
Water Weasel
8%
Humphrey
12%
Hoover
2%
Alba
9%
Silkstone
8%
O'Brien
2%

Total votes: 66

Miwokhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Miwokhill »

Brett, I'm a newbie and read with interest your choice of the Humphreys as your favorites because these are what I'm leaning to in getting a nice whistle. Although the Burke's are ahead in this poll it seems they do have their detractors from reading the other thread on Burke's specifically. I haven't seen this downside reaction to the Humphrey's, at least in what I've read. Just curious as to why you picked the wide bore over the narrow on the Humphrey. I see one difference is with the wide you can add the Db and C barrels and the narrow you can add the Eb and E to. But I'm guessing the choice was probably more due to sound. If you can give some feedback, perhaps also on you first choice of the pvc, that would be great. Thanks! mike
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

Weird....I cant recognize the name Sindt whistle on the ballot. Now his whistles are so ethereal that humen-being cant see them anymore? :roll:

I am darn waiting for his new whistle so I must manage to see it when it arrives!! :boggle:
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Miwokhill wrote:I haven't seen this downside reaction to the Humphrey's, at least in what I've read.
I think Humphreys have a lot less exposure. At least, I'm fairly certain I've never heard or seen one, much less played it. (In contrast, I usually see a couple of people playing Burkes every week.) I don't think I'm alone here. So I wouldn't take the lack of negative comment as meaning much.

On the other hand, Peter Laban's positive review of the Humphrey certainly is a good sign....
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

colomon, Both points well taken. mike
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

colomon wrote:On the other hand, Peter Laban's positive review of the Humphrey certainly is a good sign....
Peter has a sample up on the Clips & Snips Reels page at http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/reels.html (Peggy on the Settle) using the new Humphrey.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

CHIEFTAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IN ANY KEY, CHIEFTAIN IS THE INSTRUMENT TO GO WITH.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

My favourite is my John Addison whistle. It's the hardest to play of all my whistles but I love it just the same.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

What about a Spillane or Foky Gruber?
"You have my undivided attention"
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Miwokhill wrote:Brett, I'm a newbie and read with interest your choice of the Humphreys as your favorites because these are what I'm leaning to in getting a nice whistle. Although the Burke's are ahead in this poll it seems they do have their detractors from reading the other thread on Burke's specifically. I haven't seen this downside reaction to the Humphrey's, at least in what I've read. Just curious as to why you picked the wide bore over the narrow on the Humphrey. I see one difference is with the wide you can add the Db and C barrels and the narrow you can add the Eb and E to. But I'm guessing the choice was probably more due to sound. If you can give some feedback, perhaps also on you first choice of the pvc, that would be great. Thanks! mike
Hi Mike. I actually prefer the Humphrey Brass slightly over the PVC. The Brass has a nicer more complex sound to it. I listed them in the order I received them... I haven't tried a narrow bore, but in general I prefer the feel of wider bore whistles and they're usually a bit louder and mellower sounding.

Burkes are great too and probably in better tune than the Humphreys but they don't have quite as much character to their sound in my opinion. I've had Aluminum, Brass, and Composite Burkes in the past. I thought the composite had the nicest tone, followed by the brass.

I think you'd be happy with either choice.

-Brett
Hornpiper

Post by Hornpiper »

My overall favorite high-end high whistles that I've tried have been the Burkes - pretty darn consistent from sample to sample. Don't own any; looking to get some sort of high D from him when I get the money. I have also tried some Abell D's that are beautiful as well - too rich for my blood, but nice for what they are. I'm convinced that Phil Hardy's new-range Chieftains and Kerry Pros are THE best low whistles available though.....magnificent instruments.
Dana

Post by Dana »

I have a Burke brass narrow bore D, with the black tip. Really nice, consistent, in tune. At least as loud as my older model Burke wide bore aluminum D pro. A bit more bite to the sound, too.

Dana
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Miwokhill,
I think just about any whistle will "have it's detractors" if the sample size is large enough.

Some people rave about Syns, but they have their detractors.
Some people rave about Copelands, but they have their detractors
Some people rave about Burke's, but they have their detractors
Some people rave about Chieftains, but they have their detractors
etc.

The same can be said for cheapies:
Some people rave about Generations, but they have their detractors.
Some people rave about Sweetones, but they have their detractors
Some people rave about Feadogs, but they have their detractors
Some people rave about Clare, but they have their detractors

You can insert just about any whistle name there. You don't often hear about Humphreys, Foky Grubers, among others, because not very many people have them.

For me, once you get a whistle that's relatively in tune (or can make in tune, if that sort of thing floats your boat) with decent intonation, then it's really all about personal taste in what you want out of a whistle in terms of tone, breath requirements, etc. Most value judgements that you read about whistles (ie: "good" or "bad") is a matter of personal opinion, and you can almost always find someone to disagree with that value judgement--even on subjects you might not even expect a disagreement on!

For instance, I've actually heard the argument that high-end whistles sound "too good". This point of view totally dumbfounds me, but certainly makes sense to people who may hold that view. The best bet in picking a whistle is listening to recordings where availalble (though knowing that many recordings are "sweetened"), reading plenty of reviews (since you can't know reviewer skill and/or bias in every instance), and try to find a whistle with the features you really want, with "quirks' that you can live with. All whistles will have them...I've yet to meet a perfect whistle.

But, since the original poll was about favorites, and not scientific methodolgy for picking a good one, I'd have to go with Copeland and Burke, tied for first.

Burke has the better sound to me...pure and clear, and is easy to play cleanly across both octaves. The Copleand is a lot better on the bell note, is stronger, has better wind resistance, and is louder for outdoor play. But that's just me ;)
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I don't have a whole lot of high end whistles,just Busman,Sindt,Alba,and Burke.
Of those the Busman and the Sindt are the only high Ds.
The Alba is low D,and the Burke is low F.
So anyway,of the few I have the Busman is my favorite.I love them all though.
-Kelly
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

My Sindt D is my favorite with a narrow bore D Humphrey a close second. I only have three whistles that could be called high end. The third is a Hoover short reach Bb, alu. tube, whitecap head.
Mike
scotta

Post by scotta »

I have a Glenn Schultz Thin Weasle that may be the perfect high D whistle - in tune, easy to manage transition between octaves, medium volume, not shrill in higher octaves, responsive for fast tunes and beautiful appearance. Cnat is played OXXOOO. Only drawback is that wood requires more care than metal or PVC/Delrin.

My Hoover Narrow Bore Brass High D is sweet and very quite, perfect for not disturbing the family. Only drawbacks are occasional clogging (expected with narrow bore) and CNAT is true when played OXXXXO.

Collapsable Laughing Whistles in high D are very similar to the Hoover Narrow Bore D, with the added bonus of a collapsable/ telescoping design - very cool, always carry it with me.

I have been very satisfied with Chieftain Low F and Mezzo A - mine are non-tunable but perfectly in tune, very responsive, fairly high volume. I plan to buy a low G and Low D from Phil - a great guy to deal with.
Scott