Suggestions please

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Suggestions please

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hello VB,
I remember you saying that you liked higher whistles for slow airs. How about a fast jig? I had no idea that I would like it, and if you told me I EVER would like high D, I would have denied it!(I play low D usually except once in a while, Bb and rarer, high D)
This IS the most beautiful recording of a whistle that I have ever heard and I think it's a great testament to Celtic music, the tinwhistle, and the musician(Michael Eskin, a Chiff member).
You might not like the tune, I don't know, but I don't see how anyone would not like the recording.
Listen to 'Banish Misfortune'(also in clipsnsnips- jigs as solo on a high G!)
http://members.cox.net/eskin/index.html
he also has more tunes in his link on left under Irish Flute/Whistle comparisons, along with the tune links under-listen to me play. Have fun!
(edited because Michael replied that it was on a high D Copeland and not on the high G as I had thought before-as it is on Clips and Snips)
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~~~~
Barry
Miwokhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Miwokhill »

VB, You make a good point about buying books and I am guilty of being somewhat of a book junkie. This works for me right now because I've been teaching myself to read music for the whistle and learn some great tunes at the same time. I don't know if it will go over very well if I show up at a session and haul my music book out though! So in the last few days I've been going to clips and snips and trying to play some of the tunes there by ear. But I'm new to whistling and I do hope eventually I don't have to rely on reading the music. :o
AngeloMeola
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

spootiskerry
harvest home
the butterfly
Cooley's reel
Eat well, drink well, laugh loud and often.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Ok, got to look at that ...er....ah....pootsenberry? Pootsykerry? Spootenbooger?
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Actually it's pretty catchy.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Repeal the Union,
The Virginia Reel,
The Old Torn Petticoat,
The Tarbolton,
Rosin Dubh
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

If you like O'Carolan tunes, "Lord Inchiquin" is really rather cool. Really. There's a soundclip here: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm

If, like me, you like hornpipes, then may I heartily recommend "The High Level Hornpipe", a glorious three-parter with some challenging fingering that I'm sure a VB of your calibre can handle! Now that's cool!

What'd be really really cool is to be able to play it all the way through, with the repeats of course, without a single fubar. I almost did it once, but fubar'd it in the last two bars because I was so incredibly stunned at having got that far without a glitch.

But the ultimate in cool would be to do the same fubar-less virtuoso performance...on the flute.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: Suggestions please

Post by colomon »

vomitbunny wrote:I like fast stuff that jumps around, in octaves and all arpegiated and stuff.
Two suggestions. I haven't learned it quite yet, but "The New Road" that Patrick Ourceau plays on Live at Mona's is an awesome three-part single reel that jumps around in octaves and is arpeggiated and such.

More self-servingly, last month I wrote a tune called "The Wayward Girls' Farewell to the Happy Hooker". I can't vouch for its coolness, but it does go back and forth between octaves a lot, it's fairly peculiar, none of your friends know it yet, and it's in E minor, the whistler's favorite key. (If you click on the link in my sig, it's the second tune in the list.)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Leel
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

Hi VB - I stumbled on The Mancester Hornpipe awhile back. It's catchy, jumpy and surprisingly easy to play once you get it. The fingerings are what I call a 'natural fit'. It 'flows'.

BTW - This is an awsome thread! Gettin' lots-o-good stuff :thumbsup:

LEE
Darwin

Re: Suggestions please

Post by Darwin »

vomitbunny wrote:I like fast stuff that jumps around, in octaves and all arpegiated and stuff.
Fisher's Hornpipe is pretty heavily arpeggiated. It even has a second-octave G# in it.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

Does it have to be trad. Are you one of those kinds of people? Flook, Millish, Lunasa, McGoldrick, Frank Zappa (wait, how'd he get in there)
"You have my undivided attention"
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Gonna pass one back at ya, if anyone is interested.
http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/get ... nsreel.gif

I like this version of it. It's nice played straight or hornpiped.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Another fun one I came across today.
The new bob.
It was new to me, anyway.
http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/get ... adhThe.gif

One more.
The geese in the bog.
http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/get ... theBog.gif
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

One of my favorites is Coleraine. It sounds almost like Jewish Klezmer to me... (Hm, I should try it on my clarinet)
It has some G# and Fnat's in it that sound really, really cool as slides.
It sounds good fast, but really haunting when played slow, almost as an air.

<a href="http://thesession.org/tunes/display.php ... .php/17</a>
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

One I've been playing with recently ( I coulnd't quite manage it well until now ) is the Locomotive. There is a version of it played by Skelton, that if you hear it, you won't be able to put it down until you can at least half way play it. Caution. Extra sharps and flats and stuff. But not that bad.
Unfortunately I can't find it in the tune finder right now or I'd post a link.
I'll look some more lately.
Probably tommorow though......Ivan has knocked out our power, and internet too most likely. At least for a while.

Here's a little slip jig someone might like. There arn't enough good ones. They are really hard to get off the ground and swing unless they are good to begin with, so "also ran" slip jigs really suck.
http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/get ... ection.gif
and one more
http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/get ... ofWind.gif

Heheheheh. A blast of wind. Hehehehehehehehe.
We can play that tune everytime someone lets one. Hehehehehehe.