Way OT: What on earth is a Tim Tam?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
caniadafallon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Way OT: What on earth is a Tim Tam?

Post by caniadafallon »

:-? I think maybe it's a British candy, but I'm totally guessing... anyone know?
Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
~Berthold Auerbach
RayFloro

Post by RayFloro »

It's an Aussie Biscuit........

Rectangle in shape.......chocolate biscuit with chocolate filling covered in chocolate.

A childhood tradition is to bite off a little of the opposite corners; and use the Tim Tam like a straw whilst drinking milk :D
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

like this, i guess....
and according to google, this is Tam TimImage
glauber

Post by glauber »

Good one, Amar! :lol:
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
caniadafallon

Post by caniadafallon »

I see! Thanks Ray... and you too, Amar, for your graphics presentation. I think I may have to try to get a hold of one of those some day! Well, the Tim Tam, not the Tam Tim-- he may not appreciate being nabbed from his home. ;)
Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
~Berthold Auerbach
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

might depend on who nabs him, no? ;)
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I don't think the Tim Tam has enough chocolate in it. Can they make the wrapper out of chocolate too?
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Be aware that the term "biscuit" means something very different in parts of the US. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... 8%26sa%3DG
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

amar wrote:like this, i guess....
As a matter of interest, the site from which Amar got the above photo was clearly the work of someone who at the very least had lived in SIngapore or Malaysia (more likely Singapore because I've seen many Malaysians spell it as "syok") for some time.

The word "shiok" is used here to describe the wonderful feeling or rush one gets from a great experience. This great experience is often the enjoyment of a good meal or dish, altho it can be used for, say, a great massage one enjoys on aching muscles and limbs, or an exhilarating roller coaster ride.

Nuance-wise, it's more than just "nice", there has to be some sort of kick or intense rush, as in the ingesting of a really delicious but super-spicy curry.

Usage in a sentence: "Wow, this curry is shiok!"

I would say that the Tim-Tams-as-drinking-straw experience deserves to be described as "shiok". :D

They are the best choc biscuits around.
Karina

Post by Karina »

When I was visiting some Australian relatives, they were horrified that I had no idea what a Tim Tam was. They bought me a whole package of them and tought me how to eat them "properly"--bite off both ends and use it as a straw to suck up milk (as someone mentioned earlier in this thread). The key was to gulp it down before it completely disintegrated. I have to say, not only was it very entertaining (and somewhat challenging), but it tasted great. :D
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

They are made by Arnott's
Are so.
Arnotts!
Are so!
Arnott!
ARE SO!
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

The biting off the ends bit and using it as a straw in tea, milk, vodka, etc. is technically known as a "Tim Tam Slam."
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

On a slight sidetrack, we are starting to get Australian products in the UK shops. This weekend I actually found a bathroom cleaning product that works. Called Bath Power in the UK, or Shower Power in Oz, it actully does what it says. One good session of squirting all over the bath, leave for a minute, then rinse away, and it actually did remove the accumulated soap scum and limescale. Nothing else I have ever tried has come close to having this effect.

So....maybe Tim Tams will arrive in the UK shops soon. Not to be confused with Tum Tums.

I had biscuits and gravy in the States, what a dreadful misrepresentation that was. The biscuit was more like a bath sponge than a Bath Oliver.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Martin Milner wrote:I had biscuits and gravy in the States, what a dreadful misrepresentation that was. The biscuit was more like a bath sponge than a Bath Oliver.
Yes I fell for that one too, and was mortified 'pon receiving a bowl of wallpaper paste with a sponge floating in it. No-one had heard of Bisto or Oxo at the local Walmart either.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

GaryKelly wrote: Yes I fell for that one too, and was mortified 'pon receiving a bowl of wallpaper paste with a sponge floating in it.
Sponge bobbing in wallpaper paste = pants! :D
GaryKelly wrote:No-one had heard of Bisto or Oxo at the local Walmart either.
And they think they're a First World Nation :roll:

Poor misguided children. Sigh.