Most beautiful clip of a tinwhistle I know!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Most beautiful clip of a tinwhistle I know!

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hi folks,
I posted this for VB, who was asking for tune suggestions, and thought it deserved a wider audience. Ever hear a tune where everything sounds just right-tone of the whistle, great tune, great playing, great recording-something that really grabs you? I came across one just like that.
How about a fast jig? I had no idea that I would like it, and if you told me I EVER would like high D, I would have denied it!(I play low D usually except once in a while, Bb and rarer, high D)
This IS the most beautiful recording of a whistle that I have ever heard and I think it's a great testament to Celtic music, the tinwhistle, and the musician(Michael Eskin, a Chiff member).
You might not like the tune, I don't know, but I don't see how anyone would not like the recording.
Listen to 'Banish Misfortune'(also in clipsnsnips- jigs as solo on a high G!)
http://members.cox.net/eskin/index.html
he also has more tunes in his link on left under Irish Flute/Whistle comparisons, along with the tune links under-listen to me play. Have fun!
(edited because Michael replied that it was on a high D Copeland and not on the high G as I had thought before-as it is on Clips and Snips)
~~~~
Barry
dapple

Post by dapple »

Thanks for pointing out those clips, Barry. Michael's playing is truely beautiful.
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Wow. Some really fantastic recordings on the Traditional Irish Music site.
Thanks.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

You are right, Michael is a talented musician, and a very fine guy, as well!

Mary
eskin

Post by eskin »

OK, I'm blushing... Just stop it already. :-)
Eric N

Post by Eric N »

I agree. His music is calm and gentle. I have played it five times and feel very much at peace. :)
Eric
Stine

Post by Stine »

Wow, you're right. I'm no expert, but that's fabulous. I love the sort of smoky quality of the song.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Wow. Way to make me smile and feel inadequate all at once!
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Hey, man, if I can play like Michael one of these years, I'll be content. I'm gettin' closer, and I'm happy about that.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

In addition to the clips, there is a primer on session etiquette. These rules are for this particular session, but first time session goers would do well to read them.

from
http://members.cox.net/eskin/acoustic_expressions.html

THE MUSIC

We will be playing tunes in traditional Irish dance styles such as reels, jigs, slip jigs, slides, hornpipes, and polkas. Other styles, such as bluegrass, old-time, and Scottish are discouraged.

Traditional Irish dance style means that tunes are played in unison, with no melodic improvisation other than ornaments. Prospective players are encouraged to seek out and listen to groups like Altan or the Bothy Band for examples of seisiun style playing.

INSTRUMENTS

The early seisiun is intended for traditional Irish melody instruments only.

These instruments include: Fiddle, flute, pennywhistle, low whistle, Uilleann pipes, button or piano accordion, concertina, guitar (melody flatpicking), mandolin, bouzouki/octave mandolin, and tenor banjo.

Non-traditional instruments (such as saxophone, recorder, or trumpet) are not allowed.

There will be no guitar or bouzouki backup or bodhran allowed in the early seisiun without special invitation from the seisiun leader.

TOUCHING INSTRUMENTS
Please do not touch or play other player's instruments without their permission. Musicians can be very protective of their instruments and some are easily damaged.

TUNING
All players are expected to tune their instruments before the seisiun and to keep them in tune. If you need to retune, please do during the breaks between tune sets, and get help if you need it. Be sure to tune to any fixed pitch instruments such as pipes or accordion. Most mass-produced pennywhistles have tuning issues. Whistle players are strongly encouraged to have a tunable whistle before they start playing in seisiuns.

STARTING A TUNE
Seisiun leaders will start most of the tune sets. If you'd like to request a particular set of tunes, or would like to start a set, please ask the seisiun leader.

NO 'NOODLING'
If you don't know the tune, either very quietly work it out while staying in time with the music or you are unable to do so, just sit the tune out. A simple guideline is to play the tunes you know and don't play the tunes you don't know. Do your practicing at home, not at the seisiun.

USING WRITTEN MUSIC IN SEISIUN
While useful for initially learning tunes at home, the use of music books or sheet music during the seisiun is not allowed. Irish music is primarily an aural tradition.

TEMPO
As a courtesy to the other players, please play the tunes at the speed started originally, don't speed up or slow down. This is extremely important for an enjoyable seisiun.

RECORDING
Players are encouraged to record the seisiun and use the recordings to learn the tunes! Recordings made at the seisiun are for your own personal use only.

CHILDREN
Children are welcome and encouraged to actively participating in the seisiun or listen to the music. Any families with unsupervised children will be asked to leave.

RESPECT OTHER PLAYERS

Please don't carry on conversations while others are playing. If you need to talk to someone, go to another part of the room.

Always be courteous to the people around you.

Most important of all - have fun playing, and enjoy the music!

GOOD TUNES TO LEARN

REELS
Merry Blacksmith
Cooley's
Cup of Tea
Tom Billy's
Hunter's Purse
Gravel Walk

JIGS
Banish Misfortune
Lark in the Morning
The Kesh
Morrison's

SLIP JIGS
Kid on the Mountain
Snowy Path
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

That's my favorite:
NO 'NOODLING'
If you don't know the tune, either very quietly work it out while staying in time with the music or you are unable to do so, just sit the tune out. A simple guideline is to play the tunes you know and don't play the tunes you don't know. Do your practicing at home, not at the seisiun.
There are many things that are bugging me in some sessions, but this is the worst. It's like, you've been improving a tune for like three years and someone comes along, doesnt know the tune, and ruins it in 30 seconds.
izzarina

Re: Most beautiful clip of a tinwhistle I know!

Post by izzarina »

That was absolutely heavenly, Michael!! :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Where's the tune? I looked all around for it and didn't find. :(
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Click the "Traditional Irish Music" link at left. Then look at the bottom of the left column.

Best wishes,
Jerry
glauber

Post by glauber »

Thanks! I didn't scroll down enough!

Very nice! Funny to see this played so regular, one two three, but what a nice sound!

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--