who are the eight best living pipers ?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billh »

buskerSean wrote: Ok, now for the heresy. Someone mentioned Tommy Reck, who is oft quoted by the Good and Great as someone very special to piping. I have heard him on 'The Drones and the Chanters', and just can't listen to it. No rhythm at all, could you dance to it?
*I* couldn't dance to it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a special dance associated with it at one time, much the way that set dances with their atypical rhythms often (always?) had particular associated dances. In any case I never thought of it as clever - confusing maybe, but not clever. It seems normal to my ear now, having heard it so many times.

You really can't judge anybody by two tracks. And sometimes these things take time.
Out of interest, how long have you been listening to piping?

It's also said that Reck didn't like the recording process, and that the commercial recordings of him don't do him justice. Even so,
if you can get your hands on an old cassette of Reck's 'The Stone in the Field', you might change your mind.
This sort of clever piping just seems to be a head trip to me. I once saw an analysis of 'Top It Off' and he moves from 9/8 to 12/8 for a bar or so, and then back again, clever maybe, but I can't stand it. Same goes for the Willie Clancy recordings on the same CD. I say all this with humility (I am a very basic player!) and personal opinion, but give me Leo Rowsome any day. (Solid, Solid Rhythm)
Different strokes I suppose. Lots of people do talk about Clancy's rhythm, all right, but usually in a positive context.
Greg Schnider

Post by Greg Schnider »

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned David Power yet. I was completely blown away by his playing at the West Coast Tionol in Seattle this year.

He also plays an absolutely amazing flat-set in C made by Alain Froment.

Greg
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Tommy Reck's piping is wonderful, So what if his timing strays a little at times.
Who's dancing? Who cares! It's exciting piping.
If you like you could always play the metronome, not very exciting but boy it keeps good time!!! :devil:
tompipes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

Heres my 2 cents and they're in no particular order either.

Michael Doran
John Rooney
Sean McKiernan
Donnacha Dwyer
Geoff Wooff
Nollaig MacCartaigh
Mick O'Brien
Mikie Smyth

And I would throw in Neillidh Mulligan and John Purcell too.

Tommy
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

'And how long have you been listening to piping'!!! Isn't music supposed to be enjoyable and entertaining, even for (gasp) non-pipers. This is my whole point, that people who don't know a cran from a cra* can enjoy listening to piping, but usually can't stand overly clever mega tight piping like Tommy Recks. (All just my opinion remember.)

As for Willie, at the Brum Tionol recently I met an old piper, whose father was a GHP player. He ruled the roost with a rod of iron, and would not tolerate ANYONE playing out of time. If a musician on the radio played out of time he would get 'the Knock' and be switched off. Apparently, old Willie got 'the Knock'. Of course one cannot judge by a few tracks (although I do have other WC recordings) If anyone can reccomend recordings of Willie playing in wonderful rhythmic smoothness, then please let me know.

[/quote]
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

If you could do me a copy of 'The stone in the field' and prove me wrong I would be most grateful too!
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

janice wrote:Tim Britton (yeah, his style is really out but what he does with it.......)
yes.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Roger O'Keeffe wrote:It's a pretty futile discussion, but one person who is being overlooked is Pat Mitchell, who was extremely influential through his teaching of the more advanced classes in NPU and through his careful analysis of some of the old recordings. Unfortunately he stopped playing pipes for a number of years, and his one and only album - pure piping, not a screed of accompaniment - exists only in vinyl, so many of the people who frequent C&F have probably never heard his playing. Even if you don't want to imitate him, you should certainly hear him. So maybe you should all start an e-mail campaign (you can reach him at NPU headquarters) to demand a re-issue of the album in CD form and a follow-up new recording.
yes,yes.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
- Frank Zappa
oleorezinator

Post by oleorezinator »

Greg Schnider wrote:I am surprised that nobody has mentioned David Power yet. I was completely blown away by his playing at the West Coast Tionol in Seattle this year.

He also plays an absolutely amazing flat-set in C made by Alain Froment.

Greg
yes,yes,yes.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
- Frank Zappa
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

What would be the point buskersean? Your opinion is fine. I agree with you to an extent, but I feel you may well miss out on some real gems.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Nobody mentioned Debbie Quigley? :boggle:
djm

Post by djm »

Hey! Nobody mentioned me or Royce, either! :x

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

...get in line bucko... :D
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Esko wrote:Great player's all , I'd like to ad Dennis Brooks.
I once asked Dennis Brooks who his favorite piper was (expecting to hear Ennis--or something of the sort), but he said Willy Clancy.
buskerSean

Post by buskerSean »

Thanks for the reply Ben, I certainly hope to be disproved, I can copy some piping CD's or tapes (PM me for details) in trade for any Clancy or Reck recordings which I would otherwise miss