Gallagher 1/2 B set on ebay

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
wolvy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by wolvy »

I guess I got my impressions from talking to Seth directly when he told me that his C sets are not true narrow bores, but more like a medium bore. I guess what he meant by that was that they are not as narrow as the Woof type sets.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I recently got a chance to hear DM Quinn's C set that he had at the Piper's Gathering (now in the hands of Debbie Quigley). It is quite loud and a bit raccous - more like a concert set than a flat set. I don't know if it is designed to be a medium bore, or if it is just the way the reeds are set up.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
innerhand

Post by innerhand »

Is it this one (from Mr.Childress's site)? Loud as a Concert Pitch set? I'm soon going to receive a 3/4 set from David Boisvert (I already received the wonderful drones) and want to know the volume of flat sets. I have never heard a flat set played before.
Steve Pribyl

Post by Steve Pribyl »

I emailed the seller a couple of questions. The first was whether a case is included. He sent me a return email without answering the question. I asked the same question again 2 days ago, along with a question regarding any extra reeds that might be included with the set, and have received no reply. Has anyone had any successful correspondence with this seller (joshuaperkins)? or know him personally?

Thanks.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Tommykleen wrote:""I promise to do the dishes until the flesh on my hands falls off of the bone" angle. "
============================================
:lol: :lol: :lol:
This is funny, that is EXACTLY how I got my wife Laurie to agree to my purchase of a new chanter!
Davey

Seepm

Post by Davey »

Steve...see your PMs
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Joshua, are you out of piping or just moving to another set?
billh

Post by billh »

djm wrote:I recently got a chance to hear DM Quinn's C set that he had at the Piper's Gathering (now in the hands of Debbie Quigley). It is quite loud and a bit raccous - more like a concert set than a flat set. I don't know if it is designed to be a medium bore, or if it is just the way the reeds are set up.

djm
I've heard a couple of DMQs C sets and the above seems like serious overstatement at the least; someone could get a seriously wrong impression. Nothing like a concert pitch set if you ask me. Unless Debbie's set is completely atypical.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Dave said the C he makes was designed as a wide bore C(in fact a medium bore), made to re-create the raucous sound of Pat Mitchell's Matt Kiernan chanter. Concert pitch like is maybe not quite the right description but other than that it was not too far off.
djm

Post by djm »

Thanks, Peter. Pat Mitchell's set is a very good example of what this set sounds like. I guess we all get an idea in our heads of what a narrow bore vs concert pitch wide bore should sound like. The Quinn 3/4 set in C is a lot closer to a concert set in its voicing IMHO. It is quite strong sounding, and the regs are full volume - nothing muted or toned down like in a narrow bore set.

InnerHand, yes, I believe this is the same set. The reg reeds are made of spruce instead of cane. Debbie is impressed with them in that they haven't moved a bit since she got the set - no need to retune or anything. They are always bang on.

I understand that this was a set that Mr Quinn had originally built for himself. No doubt he spent a lot of time getting it to sound just the way he prefered, so Debbie got a really good deal.

djm
DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn »

The set pictured above in innerhand's post being played by the middle-aged imposter is in B, not C. I am not sure how Bruce got the impression that it was in C, but it isn't. This is one that I am playing now.

Ms. Quigley's set is in C, and is made of Mopane, while the B set is Ziricote. It is true that I made that C set for myself, but the reeds that are in it now are all by my partner, Benedict Koehler. As such, it is a Koehler &Quinn set, not a D. M. Quinn set. There is nothing out of the ordinary about its bores or construction, so it's likely to be very much like the ones billh would have heard. Unfortunately, I never bothered to take a lot of pictures of it while I had it. I got used to the idea that it was always going to be around.

Peter is right, for the most part, about the origins of my (and latterly the K&Q) C chanter. I don't know enough to design a chanter to sound a certain way, but it is true that my concept of what a C chanter ought to sound like is based on early exposure to recordings of Pat Mitchell's playing. Frankly, I don't think I ever got the sound I was looking for, but it seems that some people like the way these C chanters sound, while others don't care for it. I hope there's room for differences in taste.

(With thanks and a tip of the hat to mukade)
djm

Post by djm »

Okay, its a B then. Sorry, but BC's picture is too dark for me to tell.

Anyway, I guess the really telling point is that Debbie is all smiles when she plays her new K&Q 3/4 set in C, and that's all that really matters to me.

djm
josh perkins

Post by josh perkins »

Steve, I'm really sorry--ebay has set up a new system for e-correspondence between buyers and sellers that either has quite a few bugs in it or has me flummoxed. I got your e-mail and tried the usual method of replying directly, but obviously the text didn't make it. I also tried replying through their (ebay) link, but that doesn't seem to have worked, either. At any rate, no, I don't have a case for this set--Seth couldn't get his hands on one to send with it and I decided to sell before I bought one. It has no spare reeds, just the ones that came in the pipes.

Tony-I'm getting out of it, sad to say. I already play lots of strings that I do try to keep up with and, as the auction page says, I really don't have any time to play or diddle around with the pipes between my job and baby daughter. I should have taken them up when I was 20, but I took up the fiddle and banjo instead. There you have it. Anyone with any other questions, please post them in this thread, I'll keep up on it.

Josh