My First Experience and Some Questions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

My first experience left me with no questions but a feeling of euphoria and wonder.......ahhhh just a sec.....oh never mind, ah you're talking about whistles right?

Oh never mind

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Eric N wrote:For anybody what would like to know I live in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area).
There are plenty of whistlers in the Toronto area, including several people on this board, not to mention Loretto Reid, one of the world's best whistlers.

And have you tried going to Dora Keogh (Danforth near the Don Valley Parkway) for the Irish session on a Thursday or Sunday night? Usually at least a couple of people with whistles there every time I've been by.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Eric N
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Eric N »

colomon wrote:
Eric N wrote:For anybody what would like to know I live in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area).
There are plenty of whistlers in the Toronto area, including several people on this board, not to mention Loretto Reid, one of the world's best whistlers.

And have you tried going to Dora Keogh (Danforth near the Don Valley Parkway) for the Irish session on a Thursday or Sunday night? Usually at least a couple of people with whistles there every time I've been by.
Thank you very much. :)
Eric
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

One of the best whistle player on the planet , phrasing-wise, is in Toronto. It's Debbie Quigley, off course, but she plays the pipe, you might not ear her whistle much.

An advice, Eric, is try to learn to play well the whistle you have before you try to get louder, unless it's only to play with your guitar friends (that'll teach them, those guitar players!).

Susato = Evil ;-)
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Burke=Good

You couldn't go wrong here.
I have 2 of the brass session pro D's, and a narrowbore D ~
The session pro is a bit louder, I guess, but the clarity of the narrowbore may make it adequate in a noisier group.

They are exquisite whistles, and if you find they are not for you, there shouldn't be a problem selling or trading them later.

Mary
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Martin Milner wrote:Why not try a Susato? You can get tuneable ones, and they don't hit the pocket quite so hard. Tuning is spot on, and they're LOUD.
I played a Susato for the first and last time at the Northeast whistle gathering....

:boggle:

Robin

P.S. Who the heck is the whacko with the bell? He looks vaguely familiar.

P.P.S. You might like to try a Dixon tunable. Not too expensive.
Last edited by spittin_in_the_wind on Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JillyKB

Post by JillyKB »

Well in my *ahem* infinite experiance with whistles *points to little avatar pic thing which shows every whistle she's owned so far*, I would say an Acorn is a good buy in terms of range and out-of-the-box playability. I really didn't have to do much work at all to it (in comparison with my Gen., An Seisiun, and even Clarke). I've also been able to get higher notes out of it than I have any of my others, yet the lower octave is still nice. *shrug* if you're looking into one of the cheapies.
lonewhistler

Post by lonewhistler »

unless it's only to play with your guitar friends (that'll teach them, those guitar players!).
...I've been playing guitar for about 10 years now, and it's become a love and a passion for me. I also play the tin whistle as well. I'd be glad to teach YOU some things... :wink:

Anyway, since most tin whistles are tuned to the key of D, then perhaps the reason everything was sounding out of tune was because maybe your guitar-playing friends did not realize that they have to play in the key of D in order for everything to sound harmonious. Either that or they just don't know how to tune their guitars in the first place.
"...patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings" - "Sweetheart Like You" by Bob Dylan