I NEED a new whistle because...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

NorCalMusician wrote: ...Also typical Disney is a single parent family unit, usually from the UK someplace.
Really? OK, I'm out of date, but what about the 101 Dalmatians? Peter Pan? 2 UK families with 2 parents each. The most recent cartoons - did they even mention or relate to family units?

Or were you just speaking tongue in cheek? :)

What is typical of the 1st few cartoons that came out after their 90s revival is that the hero/heroine had to sing a big number about how "there must be more to life than this".

Ariel, Belle, the princess from Aladdin, and Quasimodo all did. There may be more. After Lion King (did NOT like the music in this one), I only watched some of the subsequent ones.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

vomitbunny wrote:Uh, that picture of Aireal the mermaid, or what ever she is called, is she burping in the picture?
Actually, she is suffering whistle deprivation... she's calling for the 'snarfbladt' - the closest thing she can get... because the prince threw *his* whistle out to sea in the first movie!!!!!!!!!!!!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Well if you persist with Disney what do you expect? I gave up years ago. He expects us to believe in talking mice and ducks? I mean, really! Lies, all of it. :P
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I can remember taking my son to see the first "Toy Story" and noticing that the cinema was full of what looked like divorced dads who had their children for the weekend - myself included.
I thought it was very irresponsible of Disney to have no representation whatsoever of a "Dad" in the movie.It seemed to be suggesting that single parent hood was the norm and Dads were superflous.
Apart from that it was brilliant and my son insisted on going back to the cinema for the next six weeks in a row.I can still remember huge chunks of the script by heart!

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

...somewhere out there's a whistle that'll make me sound good.

Because it'll be a magic whistle, which will magically transmogrify my innate crapitudinessity into music.

Which reminds me Paul, how's my Mopane coming along? :D
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
moxy

Post by moxy »

... because I can't be bothered with tweaking.

What's with all the tweaking you guys do anyway? I guess it's more economical (but is it really??) to say "This one doesn't work, I'll tweak it" than to say "This one doesn't work, I'll get a new one"...
emmline

Post by emmline »

moxy wrote:... because I can't be bothered with tweaking.

What's with all the tweaking you guys do anyway? I guess it's more economical (but is it really??) to say "This one doesn't work, I'll tweak it" than to say "This one doesn't work, I'll get a new one"...
Moxy...some people are just compelled to tinker. It's like when we used to be watching tv (in the 60's&70's) and my dad would stand there messing with the antenna, trying to get the reception better when we knew it was as good as it was gonna get, and we'd yell at him. Thank goodness for cable.
moxy

Post by moxy »

Yeah, emmline, you're probably right.

I'm just jealous because I don't have the guts to try tweaking anything for fear I'll get it wrong!!
izzarina

Re: I NEED a new whistle because...

Post by izzarina »

ummm...because I need to get to 52 so I can have a new one for each week of the year.
Or...
because it's my unbirthday.
Or....
because I put my shoes onto the right feet when I woke up this morning.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

moxy wrote:Yeah, emmline, you're probably right.

I'm just jealous because I don't have the guts to try tweaking anything for fear I'll get it wrong!!
Don't feel bad...after several ruined Clarkes, I gave up any attempt at tweaking about 8 years ago ;)
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

rkottke wrote:.. I tweaked my whistle and now it is twoken!
Conjugation? Tweaked-Twacked-Twoken???
~~~~
Barry
SirNick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

I never have time to tweak. I'm always working on learning another tune and trying to play the tunes I know, with better style.

I think the problem and beauty of Whoa is, that the professional model best whistles made are very inexpensive in the world of musical instruments. Imagine if the best acoustic guitars in the world were between $70 - $300. I would have to add a room onto the house!!!
"You have my undivided attention"
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

greenspiderweb wrote:
rkottke wrote:.. I tweaked my whistle and now it is twoken!
Conjugation? Tweaked-Twacked-Twoken???
It seems obvious enough:

I will tweak my whistle tomorrow.
I twoke my whistle yesterday.
I have twoken three whistles so far.

Do not be misled by false cognates of tweak, including the erroneous tweek that is often substituted for it, even here on C&F. This is the correct conjugation paradigm for the verb used to indicate whistle modification. (See the latest edition of the Oxford English Dictionary for confirmation.)
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
moxy

Post by moxy »

I've seen the term "tweaked" as well - should that be "twoke"?... wait, that doesn't make sense...

A tweaked whistle or a twoke(n?) whistle? What would you say then...?

(sure, I twoke it yesterday, but is the whistle now tweaked or twoken?... oh man, the word has lost all meaning now...)
greenspiderweb

I NEED a new whistle because...

Post by greenspiderweb »

It's a joke, son. "I tweaked my whistle and now it's twoken"(broken), therefore I need a new one.
My reply to Kottke's was a fun conjugation, not serious!
~~~~
Barry