OT - Annoyed Spouse

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

All I can say is, when I got a Burke for my birthday present this year, I knew I was the luckiest woman alive :)

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Darwin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Darwin »

DCrom wrote:And it's testimony to a fundamentally sweet and loving nature that she hasn't yet taken a cleaver to the lot of us. :boggle:
Hah! That's a bit of a Chinese stereotype, isn't it? :P (Wasn't it the Chinese cook, Chop-Chop, in Blackhawk comic books who used to go after people with a cleaver from time to time? Did Hop Sing in Bonanza ever do it?)

My wife only threatened me with a cleaver a couple of times. Mostly she just resorted to pulling my beard.

Actually, guys and gals, be happy that you have spouses who are able to keep an eye on you--irritating though it may be sometimes. I can spend as much as I want on anything I choose, and my wife will never know about it--but it's not as much fun as you might think, all things considered.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Mike - You're very right about being lucky about having spouses...

Eric
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Darwin wrote:
DCrom wrote:And it's testimony to a fundamentally sweet and loving nature that she hasn't yet taken a cleaver to the lot of us. :boggle:
Hah! That's a bit of a Chinese stereotype, isn't it? :P (Wasn't it the Chinese cook, Chop-Chop, in Blackhawk comic books who used to go after people with a cleaver from time to time? Did Hop Sing in Bonanza ever do it?)

My wife only threatened me with a cleaver a couple of times. Mostly she just resorted to pulling my beard.
Very much as stereotype (that she loves to spread). After watching one of her mother's mock-angry rants, my #1 daughter told me "Hell hath no fury like a small Chinese woman with a large Chinese cleaver". Her mother tried to be outraged but was laughing too hard :lol:

I didn't know about the beard thing - I usually keep mine pretty closely trimmed, when I'm growing one. I hadn't realized my danger. :D

And yes, I know I'm lucky. Even when I'm in the doghouse :sniffle:
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

My other half bought me an Overton for my birthday,and then has the audacity to say....do you have to play that :boggle:
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Whistling Willie wrote:My other half bought me an Overton for my birthday,and then has the audacity to say....do you have to play that :boggle:
THAT"S annoying!
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

DCrom wrote:
Darwin wrote:My wife only threatened me with a cleaver a couple of times. Mostly she just resorted to pulling my beard.
I didn't know about the beard thing - I usually keep mine pretty closely trimmed, when I'm growing one. I hadn't realized my danger. :D
What will you pay me not to tell her about how painful it is to have the small hairs at the nape of your neck ripped out? That's what my wife went to during beardless times. It actually hurts lots more than the beard, but may be harder to grab on a moving target.

I might keep my mouth shut in exchange for a couple of those old whistles that you never play anymore anyhow. :twisted:
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Darwin wrote:
DCrom wrote:
Darwin wrote:My wife only threatened me with a cleaver a couple of times. Mostly she just resorted to pulling my beard.
What will you pay me not to tell her about how painful it is to have the small hairs at the nape of your neck ripped out? That's what my wife went to during beardless times. It actually hurts lots more than the beard, but may be harder to grab on a moving target.

I might keep my mouth shut in exchange for a couple of those old whistles that you never play anymore anyhow. :twisted:
That I don't play anymore? Which would those be? Now, I have some that get less play (because they don't sound good), but would you really want a battered standard-bore Walton's or Meg C? :boggle:

Anyhow, after a couple of decades together she knows most of my weaknesses. What I hate most is the unexpected tickle - it wouldn't be so bad if I could retaliate, but the woman's not at all ticklish. Unfair, I say! :lol:

But I know about other beard weaknesses. I never dared grow one when my kids were small after I saw my older girl, at the age of about 6 months, latch onto a friend's beard and chin herself. :o :o :o
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

The problem with my spouse is that he ISN'T annoyed. I spend hours practicing hammered dulcimer, and he actually turns off the radio so he can listen when I'm playing whistle. He likes this kind of music. He's darn accommodating.

But he doesn't DO music, he just listens to it. So I feel guilty (are whistles and guilt synonymous?) when I take off for a weekend to go play with other friends. And I feel guilty about the strong connection that music makes with my musician friends, and which he doesn't share. I wonder if I should take up with an Irish musician, just to get him interested enough to try playing something for a change?

Jennie
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Jennie wrote: I wonder if I should take up with an Irish musician, just to get him interested enough to try playing something for a change?

Jennie
Jennie,

I do hope you were seriously joking and realize what a huge mistake even thinking that is. :oops: It sounds like you have a loving and caring spouse. :D Don't even think about jeapordizing that.

Do not feel guilty. What you need to do is find something to do for him that shows your appreciation in a way that balances the relationship. THAT is what I would do.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

My wife bought me my first whistle before we started dating. Then she started dating me, and then married me, while I was still new at it.

I guess she's into S&M or something.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Wanderer wrote:My wife bought me my first whistle before we started dating. Then she started dating me, and then married me, while I was still new at it.

I guess she's into S&M or something.
I heard they asked her why she stayed with you.

"Beats me" she said.

:tomato:

Sorry - couldn't resist a straight line like that.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

DCrom wrote: I heard they asked her why she stayed with you.

"Beats me" she said.

:tomato:

Sorry - couldn't resist a straight line like that.
One day, years ago, when I was in high school, my mom was cleaning my room and in the closet she found a bondage S&M magazine. She was really upset, and made me sit on the couch until my step-father got home and showed it to him.

"What are you going to do about this?" she demanded.

He looked at her and said, "Well I don't think I should spank him."

Ok..not a true story ;)
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

NorCalMusician wrote:
Jennie wrote: I wonder if I should take up with an Irish musician, just to get him interested enough to try playing something for a change?

Jennie
Jennie,

I do hope you were seriously joking and realize what a huge mistake even thinking that is.

Do not feel guilty. What you need to do is find something to do for him that shows your appreciation in a way that balances the relationship. THAT is what I would do.
I was kidding! But it's still bothering me that music is taking an ever larger chunk of my life and he's not in it. I did write him a waltz, driving home from the last weekend session, though. :wink:

Jennie