Newbie searching for good whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
justinham01

Newbie searching for good whistle

Post by justinham01 »

Background: Would like to play duet with Wife who plays concert/peddle harp. I am very much a beginner and have just learned to play the whistle. Currently own a cheaper Feadog intro kit w/ learning material. I don't really like to play the Feadog D and am looking for a better sounding whistle.

Models looking at:

1.) Freeman Tweaked Shaw D
2.) Huphrey Narrow Bore D
3.) Mack Hoover's Soprano D - Narrow bore Brass (possibly tunable)

I am located in Metro Detroit Michigan. Don't know of any local stores (besides Lansing) that carry whistles.

Any help would be appreciated. Looking for a "decent" beginner's whistle that would sound wonderful beside a full concert (peddle) harp.

Thanks!
Justin Hamilton
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

If price is not an issue, from this list, go for the Humphrey.

At least this is my answer, this month. ;)
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Byll
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Mack's narrow bore D may be too soft for duet work...One of his standard bore instruments would work just fine.
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Yeah, those three are a good start. Which three are you gonna get next?
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Darwin

Re: Newbie searching for good whistle

Post by Darwin »

justinham01 wrote:I don't really like to play the Feadog D and am looking for a better sounding whistle.
Whatever you get, you can always send the Feadog off to Mack to have it Whitecapped. Then you can use it for quiet practice times, or keep it in your car.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

You will definitely like the Humphrey and it is loud enough to play with a harp. I don't know about the Shaw. I have a couple of Mack's whitecaps and a wide bore Bb whitecap (whole whistle) that he made for me. They are great whistles. They have a reputation for being quiet but he will make a loud one for you if you ask.
Happy whistling.
Mike
slowair

Post by slowair »

I don't know anything about the three whistles you are looking at.

With that said, I think your primary concern should be finding a whistle that is in tune. Some whistles can wander greatly from perfect pitch. And if you are going to be playing duets with a harp, you better be in tune or it will show.

Since you are looking at beginner whistles, I'm going to suggest a Susato. I have a couple and don't usully play them for other reasons, but they are pretty much always dead on in tuning. The upper range of that second octave can be a *itch, but the rest of it is okay. Overall it's a pretty good whistle. It's what I started on and some people do very impressive work with them. Just listen to either of Sean Ryan's albums.

Plus the price is right at less than $25 USD.

Good luck.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I play the Humphrey and it's a lovely whistle which blends very well with other instruments (try that with a susato or a shaw), a Freeman Generation would do you too.

Just realise, no matter what most people here will say, that any beginner will have intonation problems on any whistle. It's not the whistle, it's the beginner's lack of control over it.
Jashobeam

Post by Jashobeam »

I am new to the whole whistle scene. After having played the guitar for a while now, I can tell what is in-tune, and what is not. That is the problem that I have been having with all of the "low-end" whistles- that they usually are not in-tune. I tried the tweaks, with no real improvement. Then I got a Susato D, and it was right-on, and I have been using that for practice now.

It is true, though that usually it is the player's breath control that affects the performance of most any whistle the most. I have six different whistles now, and having no experience as it is I can still hear and feel the effects of how you breath on how any given whistle performs. Maybe that is part of the joy of getting WhOA, you can get a whole bunch of whistles, and with years of practice, you can gain enough control to play almost any whistle and make it sound good!

Now, if only Susato made a METAL whistle! :D
John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

My wife is replacing her previously favorite whistle with a Syn. REALLY nice whistles, those Syn's. I have a Lancewood from Erle that is cool too. Most of my other whistles are out of the price range of the ones you mention.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
glauber

Post by glauber »

Jashobeam wrote:I am new to the whole whistle scene. After having played the guitar for a while now, I can tell what is in-tune, and what is not. That is the problem that I have been having with all of the "low-end" whistles- that they usually are not in-tune. I tried the tweaks, with no real improvement.
You're probably blowing them wrong.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

A trip to Lansing and Elderly might be worth your while. Trying several whistles back to back can be very instructive.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Jashobeam

Post by Jashobeam »

Well, Glauber, how do you blow a D wrong, if the tuner says it's sharp or flat and you are not going up an octave? That is why after trying the tweaks, I could get the D to go in-tune- but the next notes up would be out of tune, and then there were other problems along with the tweak. Then you take the Susato, and bam- you can start out with the D in-tune right off the bat!
John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Definitely go to Elderly and try some whistles. (Or you might want to check with the folks at the local CCE branch -- www.irishmusic.nu )
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I like all of those whistles. For playing with someone, and the fact that you are just beginning, I'd go with the Humphrey.
Shaw is great, but not tunable. Good volume though. And I think beginners have an easier time on a whistle they can put a little air into.
Hoover is great, but a little quieter than the Humphrey and takes a little more breath control too.
You'll be hard pressed to find a better whistle than the Humphrey. Lotsa people in here with many times the experience of myself have absolutly raved about it.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.