OT - Annoyed Spouse

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
SirNick
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

OT - Annoyed Spouse

Post by SirNick »

Does anybody else here have a spouse that, " doesn't want to here about" any whistle updates or current events within the whistle community. Or should I say, how many other people have a spouse that... What do you think. Is it a feeling of resentment over time spent with other people or could it be an allergic reaction to Itrad music in general. Hey, I could be collecting U. pipes for gosh sakes! (that statement never goes over well) I may be parnoid but sometimes I feel like she might be plotting against my whistles!! :lol:
"You have my undivided attention"
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Re: OT - Annoyed Spouse

Post by IDAwHOa »

SirNick wrote: Hey, I could be collecting U. pipes for gosh sakes! (that statement never goes over well) :lol:
I tried a similar comment with her but on a different topic. She caught me gawking at a particularly nice looking person of the opposite sex. When she commented I told her "Hey, I could be looking at guys!!" :o We now understand each other a lot better now.

I just turned my wife over to the dark side. Now we both like to evaluate instruments and thus we are on a dual quest for the perfect whistle. This has brought a pretty wide cross section of instuments (mainly whistles) in all price ranges into our household. Very fun, this adventure. It also keeps us out of bars and alleys. :P

Now, regarding the forum and all that happens here: She is fairly patient with the time but could give a rats patooie about participating! :lol:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

I have a different system, I size the ladies up for musical compatability first!

Of course, I'm still single....
Colin

Post by Colin »

SirNick wrote:Does anybody else here have a spouse that, " doesn't want to here about" any whistle updates or current events within the whistle community. Or should I say, how many other people have a spouse that... What do you think. Is it a feeling of resentment over time spent with other people or could it be an allergic reaction to Itrad music in general. Hey, I could be collecting U. pipes for gosh sakes! (that statement never goes over well) I may be parnoid but sometimes I feel like she might be plotting against my whistles!! :lol:
SirNick,
I recommend you mail your spouse off to Mack Hoover and have her white-capped. It won't solve you're problem but it'll make her much quieter and sweeter.

Colin
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

Colin wrote: SirNick,
I recommend you mail your spouse off to Mack Hoover and have her white-capped. It won't solve you're problem but it'll make her much quieter and sweeter.

Colin
Hey, that's pure genuis! I'll contact Mack immedately! :lol: I have a feeling this particular post might get us both nuked! I should say that her "whistles" are computers and clothing and I am probably a little more involved with collecting whistles than most people. I used to be this way with guitars, basses and amps.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

LOL... as long as it doesn't involve money (yeah, right - like *that*'s gonna happen!), and I don't take out the itty-bitty high Gen G... I'm fairly safe. He appreciates that I practice, though I do note that he usually finds someplace else to be (unless I pull one out in the car, heehee)

He's very supportive, and I'm sure is praying I'll keep trying tour whistles rather than deciding I have to have certain ones... um... like the O'Brien set.... :D
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

anniemcu wrote:LOL... as long as it doesn't involve money (yeah, right - like *that*'s gonna happen!), and I don't take out the itty-bitty high Gen G... I'm fairly safe. He appreciates that I practice, though I do note that he usually finds someplace else to be (unless I pull one out in the car, heehee)

He's very supportive, and I'm sure is praying I'll keep trying tour whistles rather than deciding I have to have certain ones... um... like the O'Brien set.... :D
Buy him a Bodhan! TV advertisement breaks will never be the same again.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Martin Milner wrote:Buy him a Bodhan! TV advertisement breaks will never be the same again.
LOL! He's got one already, and thankfully, that hadn't occured to him... until now, that is.......... :x

:D
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

The term "annoyed spouse" with respect to a whistle player constitutes an obvious redundancy... :D

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
SirNick

Post by SirNick »

I often wonder if I was with someone as into the whistle and Itrad as I am, if it would become competitive or if I would rebel and find a new interest like rec**ders, slide whistles or nose whistles. You know, something different. :P Although it would be fun to play music with your other half.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I try not to play in the same room as my wife, mostly.

When I'm actually playing *music* and working my way through a lot of different tunes, she sometimes enjoys listening. But listening to someone learning a tune, playing it over, and over, and over . . .

Between me on the whistle and our daughters on piano, she has a lot to put up with. And it's testimony to a fundamentally sweet and loving nature that she hasn't yet taken a cleaver to the lot of us. :boggle:
moxy

Post by moxy »

I don't have a spouse, but I have a roommate, and she prefers it when I practice while she's not home :)

She particularly does not like ITM. Although I was able to bring her to a friend's house party a few weeks ago where we played music and also had a bit of a ceili going on in the dining room, and she enjoyed the dancing - but we had to leave before the night was over!

Which was OK too, as we ended up going to the local pub, where there were live musicians playing some ITM!! She just rolled her eyes, and started chatting up the young man sitting next to us :lol:
starman

Post by starman »

SirNick wrote:I may be parnoid but sometimes I feel like she might be plotting against my whistles!! :lol:
Whenever I pick up a whistle there is always a chore or household crisis that requires my immediate attention. Coincidence? A few times maybe ...

Mike
"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." --Albert Einstein
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Colin wrote:
SirNick,

Colin
I hereby nominate Colin for best post of the month - not that there is such an award, but that's one darn fine post and deserves something!

Mack seems like a really nice guy, so I bet he'd be egalitarian and whitecap complaining male spouses/parters, too.

The answer to this complaining issue is actually fairly simple (although more expensive than a whitecap)...buy a flute. Whistle practice with my wife at home is akin to duct taping raw meat on your body and going for a swim in the ocean, but the flute is endured even in the wee hours...and sometimes even appreciated.

Eric
missy

Post by missy »

while Tom doesn't have Whoa, we both have DAd (dulcimer aquisition disease) - in fact, it's because of dulcimers that we met.
The way we solved it was Tom plays the "regular" voiced dulcimer, and I do the bass and baritone. So, we look for songs where we can BOTH work out parts.
We do have to occasionally move to different parts of the house to work out those parts! :D
For the "other" instruments, I do whistles and bodhran, he does that thing that starts with an "R" - he has a soprano, tenor and baritone of those. Oh - and he does the Native American Flute. If we ever get a low whistle, he's gonna have to do that too cuz my fingers don't reach.

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com