Burkes: What do you think?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

My everyday workhorse is the Burke brass blacktip - I like it better than any of his other whistles I've tried, and those were good. The black tip brass C is also excellent, and I'm still getting acquainted with a new black tip brass E.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

I got a Burke DABST several months ago and play it every day. It's very bright, pure and easy to play. It's my first high-end whistle and at this point I can't see getting another expensive high D (although I'm always open to bargins, antiques and maybe trying some of those "tweaked" whistles). I've ordered a Bflat brass from Micheal for variety and to get a sense of how brass gives a "warm" sound. You can't miss with his whistles.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

I've never played a Burke that wasn't adequate and two of the three I currently own (C and low G, the other is a high D) are excellent whistles. I only play AlPros but would like to try a composite low whistle: Eb or E probably. I'd confidently buy a Burke in any key, safe in the knowledge that I'd be getting, at the very least, a good whistle.

My current favourite workhorse high D is my Sindt, but my Burke high D can step into that role any time I want it to. Since I own nearly 20 high Ds, most of them high-end, that gives you an idea of how I rank Burkes.
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

I have a silver Copeland, a delrin Abell, a Thin Weasel, a Harper, an Alba Q1 and an Alba SE. All in high D. But the one that gets played most is a Burke brass black tip wide bore.
david-z

Post by david-z »

I just got a brass narrow bore D and a Bb and if his aluminum whistle is anything like these You will be happy. Beautiful craftmanship and they sing like angels when my fingers get out of the way.
Winters coming on, I need to gather up some of his composite's.
"Where is the Wisdom we have lost in Knowledge? Where is the Knowledge we have lost in Information?"
~~~~~T.S. Elliot~~~~~
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I have a Burke Brass wide bore. It's my favorite whistle for overall general whistle playing. It is somewhat quite so if there's lots of other noise I'll use my Copeland. I haven't played a whistle in about a month though. Shame shame shame. Been doing more flute and piccolo stuff.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Just to provide a tiny bit of perspective here: I don't like Burke whistles. I can't claim to have tried every model, or anything like that, but I've tried a decent number over the years. They simply are not my style of whistle, and while I appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into them, I have no interest in playing one.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I love my Burke. It's a brass.

The whistle player for the Kells (Brian McCoy?), who I met at the Dublin festival, plays Burkes. He plays the aluminum session model, and he swears by it. He says it's in tune and it is fast and responsive and sounds great.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

A couple of years ago I bought a Burke Brass Pro Sessions. It is my absolute favorite whistle. So much so that I have been able to resist buying another so far-one day at a time, you know.....

And, my last name really is Dickenson and I WANT MORE COWBELL!!!

Absolutely love that avatar!

(that's one of my favortie SNL skits and I happened to see it again just the other day :wink: )
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Eric N

Post by Eric N »

cowtime wrote:And, my last name really is Dickenson and I WANT MORE COWBELL!!!
I have to say it is also one of my favorite SNL skits :) .

I recently saw on a "Best Of" Will Farrell on SNL.
Eric
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I don't like the Burkes. There is nothing wrong with them, I guess, no glaring flaw. But I find them uninteresting and bland. I don't think they are easier to play than others and I also don't think that they are that great for bringing out subtle things. The wide-bore brass I have I pick up every month or so to see if I am still missing why everybody likes them so much, and then I put it down again.

I have tried one of new delrin-tipped ones for only a few minutes, couldn't make up my mind about it. But a whistle player I respect as a whistle player (I respect you all as wonderful people :) ) said he liked the new model better than the previous ones. I'll see if one comes my way that I can try for a night, but I am not ordering one at this point.

Oh, and I think they're overpriced, but that's just me, of course.
/Bloomfield
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Bloomfield wrote: Oh, and I think they're overpriced, but that's just me, of course.
Oh no it's not. :twisted:
glauber

Post by glauber »

Peter Laban wrote:
Bloomfield wrote: Oh, and I think they're overpriced, but that's just me, of course.
Oh no it's not. :twisted:
But aren't them all? :)
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Those who think that Burkes are overpriced, feel free to offer me your Burkes for what you think they are really worth. :D
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Well I suppose I never saw the point in getting one, they are OK most of the time but Bloomfield pretty much had it down, they just don't have the added value to justify their price and I know that's not just me thinking that. Sorry so, i have nothing to send you Wombat.