Clogging Issues

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lyrick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Clogging Issues

Post by lyrick »

I tend to clog whistles, even some that are supposedly clog-resistant (Burke NBB w/delrin tip). I've seen vague references to the soap solution, and have tried some things that help, but I still clog.

Can another clogger share the secret formula for this soap thing, and detailed instructions on how to do it right? What kind or brand of soap works best? How strong is the solution? (The Burke came with a suggestion of two drops of dish detergent per 3-4 ounces of water.) Do you pour it through the windway and let it drain/air dry, or do you shake the extra solution out first? Is there a C&F initiation where you receive the secret formula and instructions after you've reached 1,000 posts? What is Jet Dry, and where do you get it? Does it work better than soap?

Part of the problem is that I tend to play quieter whistles, which usually means a narrower windway and less air going through it to blow out the condensation, but maybe my exhalations have a high moisture content or something. Warming the whistle before I play helps, not being shy about playing aggressively helps (I guess the extra air keeps the windway more clear), and the soap solution I made helps, but I'm still having problems.

If you've had clogging issues, I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Perhaps the good folks at the Texas Clogging Council can help you:

http://www.texas-clogging.com/

BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I have not tried JetDry. I believe it is a dishwasher detergent available at most supermarkets.

What I find helpful is a strong inhale with the windway covered. Do this before starting and between songs. I am practicing doing this in the middle of a song too. There are few things worse than clogging during a solo. Blasting out a few notes in the upper register also seems to help, but that is not something to be done on stage unless part of a song.

Some people like to shake or tap their whistles before playing and during breaks, but the inhale technique seems to work better for me and is less distracting. It has the aura of the tuning of string instruments before playing.
+ Bill
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

Thanks, Jerry, I don't feel so bad about my clogging issues when I look at that photo of those Texas cloggers--they're the ones with serious clogging problems. Yikes.

Thanks for the suggestions, Bill. I've tried some of those. In fact, the only time I performed in public was for a gathering of friends and family, and in front of everyone I shook out my whistle between tunes--all over the guitar player, who got covered with "condensation" (i.e., spit). Fortunately it was good for a laugh, which helped me relax, and the guitar player's still my friend.

I was just joking about the soap formula being some kind of secret, but now I'm wondering if it's true. Anyone?
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/moist.htm

Check this out if you haven't already. It works.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I saw some JetDry at the local supermarket (California) in the detergent section, dishwasher detergent. It was $4 for a small bottle, $5 for a medium. I did not feel the need to buy it. The peppermint soap mentioned at the link, sounds more pleasant tasting if nothing else.
+ Bill
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:roll:

Ever consider stringed instruments?

Slan,
D.

P.S.
After reading this thread, my dinner is in the dog.
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

I thought I'd read everything on the main website, but I guess not--so there is something about the soap solution there. Also, I finally tried the search function (which I forgot to try this time for some strange reason) and found some good stuff. Thanks to all who responded, and happy dry whistling to everyone.

Dubhlinn, if I tried a stringed instrument I'd probably just drool all over it, and the soap stuff wouldn't work there, so I think I'll stick to whistling.
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Part of the problem is that I tend to play quieter whistles, which usually means a narrower windway and less air going through it to blow out the condensation, but maybe my exhalations have a high moisture content or something. Warming the whistle before I play helps, not being shy about playing aggressively helps (I guess the extra air keeps the windway more clear), and the soap solution I made helps, but I'm still having problems
This often is down to a lack of self confidence,the more you feel self conscious the worse the problem becomes.
Best way to overcome the problem is to play as much as possable in public soon you will foget about it all together.
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
Eric N

Quick Question.

Post by Eric N »

I have a question regarding the Soap method ( http://www.chiffandfipple.com/moist.htm ).

How far up your whistle is it recommended that you get the solution for it to be effective? I am sitting here looking at my Sweetone trying to figure out how in the world to get the solution up into the main part of the body.
Eric
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Clogging Issues

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hi Eric,
It's just the area from where your lips touch through the windway(narrow space) out to the window on the top side of the black fipple. So, if you dip your fipple in the solution, shake out the excess, and let it dry, it should be fine. Then, when the moisture builds up(it's not foolproof) just cover the window and blow, and it will clear the moisture in the windway.
~~~~
Barry
Eric N

Thank you.

Post by Eric N »

Thank you. I finally understand :)
Eric
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

For some unknown reason Jetdry did not work for me and it tastes terrible. I use Dawn dishwashing detergent; one drop of Dawn and one drop of water. I apply it with a piece of a business card cut down to just fit in the windway. Soak the card with the soap solution and stick it into the windway. Remove and let dry. It works for me.
Mike
trisha

Post by trisha »

If you want to feel good about clogging whistles...try watching a French horn player between sets....Bucket ?

The only whistle I clog reliably is a narrowbore Silkstone Alu. First one made, so may have had a design change. It doesn't muffle, just cuts out. Cool car whistle though 8) .

Drinking green tea reduces gloop in the mouthpiece.

Trisha
dapple

Post by dapple »

I have tried Jet Dri, Dawn and Dr. Bronner's Peppermint soap, and the Peppermint soap does taste much better. The Jet Dri tastes bad and makes my tongue feel numb.