Nasal septoplasty?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Nasal septoplasty?

Post by brewerpaul »

I'm goin' under the knife on Friday for correction of a severely deviated nasal septum. For the last 50-some years, I've been breathing out of solely one nostril and decided it was time to get this fixed.
I'm just curious if anyone here has had this common procedure, and what the outcome was. How was your recovery? When could you resume vigorous physical activity? Any and all information would be welcome. Thanks
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

I have never had exactly that surgery before but if it improves your breathing it has to be a good thing. I did have a pituitary tumor removed and for that they go in behind the nose and through the sphenoid sinus cavity. It took about a week before they could remove the nasal stints. After that I had no problems of any kind.

Have fun

Ron
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Had it done about five years ago, like you I was breathing almost through one nostril.

I was off work for fifteen days. Came out of surgery with my nostrils packed with guaze (this is gross and will last for about six days), face swollen, two blue eyes going black. Slept sitting up almost for the two week and half, if you lie flat, it doesn't help it, everything drains down your throat and the last thing you want to do is cough or sneeze. As the swelling goes down the gauze gets looser and slides out and this is really gross.

But since that operation breathing has been great

Oh and you talk really funny.

I hope it goes well for you.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Best wishes on surgery and blessings.

I know what sinus problems are like. All these years, I've had almost no sense of smell and just recently discovered a sinus medicine that brings it out. But the medicine is too expensive and also I discovered that a sense of smell is very distracting - I don't know how people deal with it day-by-day - it needs an off switch. Also, I don't know what the various smells are - I haven't experienced them before and have no point of reference.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

And I also forgot the plastic form that they put there after the operation to keep everything in place,it eventually slides out also as the wound heals.

MarkB
Jim Wright

Gray matter

Post by Jim Wright »

Mark,

You forgot to mention that the yellow stuff keeps the gray matter in as well!!!

Have heard of a serious ... side effect ....resulting if the "yellow stuff" falls out too soon. It is said to trigger a life long case of WHOA ... any truth to that??? :o

Jim
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Forgot about the gray matter bit Jim :lol: I didn't lose anything I think.

WhOA didn't happen but the strangest desire to play the didgeridoo and attempt cirucular breathing did. :D

MarkB
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

My septum is fine, but I did recently have surgery to remove polyps and other tissue related to the infection they caused. I actually was stopping breating at night beause the polyps would block my air passages. It really worried my wife.

My left sinus was 3/4 full of fluid and there was a fungal infection. Fortunately I had the surgery before any bone got involved.

No gause packing here, only out of work for two days, surgery on Thursday and back on Monday. It was actually more painful after a follow up removal of one he missed. I am now on daily sinus rinses and perioding steroid spays to keep things under control.

I could post pre and post surgery pics that the doc took. :D Kinda neat to see what he did, really.

Good luck and happy breathing!
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Best of luck to you Paul.

I've got the same problem, due to having my nose broken several times as a youth in kung fu class...I'd be interested in knowing how it all turns out.
dapple

Post by dapple »

Best wishes. Paul.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I had the surgery nearly twenty years ago, to correct a deviated septum and to deal with chronically infected sinuses.

The surgery was done under 'twilight sleep' type anaesthetic which left me aware, able to hear and process sounds but unable to actually DO anything. I won't go into detail about that part, other than to say that if I had to do it again I'd demand a general anaesthetic.

There wasn't much pain or swelling, although there was lot of bruising. The worst part was that I apparently swallowed quite a bit of blood and had a bit of a panic when I regurgitated the whole lot a few hours after surgery. As I recall, I only lost about a week of work (at the time, systems analysis stuff).
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Chuck_Clark wrote:The worst part was that I apparently swallowed quite a bit of blood and had a bit of a panic when I regurgitated the whole lot a few hours after surgery.
Thanks, Chuck, I had forgotten about that part. That is pretty gross too.

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

NorCalMusician wrote:
Chuck_Clark wrote:The worst part was that I apparently swallowed quite a bit of blood and had a bit of a panic when I regurgitated the whole lot a few hours after surgery.
Thanks, Chuck, I had forgotten about that part. That is pretty gross too.
Now my entire nasal passage hurts, just thinking about it. It's good that Paul can get all this pleasant reassurance. This board provides such great support!

By the way, Paul, you aren't gonna let a little thing like this slow down production are you? After all, I've got that Delrin on order... :D

After all, I'm sure you can build whistles while regurgitating blood. :thumbsup:
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

[quote="DarwinBy the way, Paul, you aren't gonna let a little thing like this slow down production are you? After all, I've got that Delrin on order... :D
After all, I'm sure you can build whistles while regurgitating blood. :thumbsup:[/quote]

As soon as I can wear a dust mask, I'll be back in the shop!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
IDAwHOa

Post by IDAwHOa »

brewerpaul wrote: As soon as I can wear a dust mask, I'll be back in the shop!
What a stud!