One of the most obnoxious flute recordings ever

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Look on the bright side! Maybe this CD will do for flutes what Riverdance did for ... legs? :)

And at least he didn't name it Lord of the Flute.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Nano
that CD is the remade version of the "And Then There Was Flatley" vinyl album that is so hard to locate.
Same thing, just a different title.
Hold onto it. You can't find it anywhere. If you were luckly to find a source, you should share. Many here would love to have it.
His reels are truly incredible on that recording. The airs are average at best and the jigs somewhat ho-hum. But the reels....if you can get past not hearing the actual tune anymoire and just listen to what he's doing....it's pretty nifty playing.
Dave
Harry
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Harry »

:lol:

Nice one, Chris.

The backing music sounds like the 'demo' on a cheap all-in Christmas keyboard.

It's a shame. The man can play the flute very well when he's not in the mood for making a fast and easy buck.

Regards,

Harry.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

glauber wrote: This track reminds me of the movie The Mask, when the movie's anti-hero has all the policemen dancing a conga line, and this cop says to the other cop: "If you start dancing, I'll blow your brains off."

Coincidence? I think not.

Chris
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Harry wrote::lol:

The backing music sounds like the 'demo' on a cheap all-in Christmas keyboard.

It's a shame. The man can play the flute very well when he's not in the mood for making a fast and easy buck.

Regards,

Harry.
That's it, exactly. I'm not sure those were backing musicians at all. Sounds like it came out of the business end of a silicon chip.

And, what a shame because the flute playing is just fine.

Dale
Hoed

Post by Hoed »

You guys have no idea how curious I am about this music. Can't stand it ... I read the post early this day, but haven't been able to find a computer with speakers yet :( Fortunately I'll be home in an hour or so.
"Ken sent me"
- Larry Laffer
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Forgive me, I like it.
glauber

Post by glauber »

:lol: I can't stop laughing from Chris' last post! :lol:
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

I did all the painting on his swansong performance in Hyde Park, London, his last skip through of Lord of the Dance as his knees were giving out. We thought 'Final Tap' or 'Socks of Fire' were better titles. Amazingly talented guy but huge ego and no taste.
DaveAuty
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

I agree it's a bit naff, but from another point of view your man just wants to make a few pennies. There is probably a market out there for that sort of stuff and I say good luck to him.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

So is there no other file format then ram? I refuse to load that spyware garbage Real Player on my PC.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

David Migoya wrote:Nano
that CD is the remade version of the "And Then There Was Flatley" vinyl album that is so hard to locate.
Same thing, just a different title.
Hold onto it. You can't find it anywhere. If you were luckly to find a source, you should share. Many here would love to have it.
His reels are truly incredible on that recording. The airs are average at best and the jigs somewhat ho-hum. But the reels....if you can get past not hearing the actual tune anymoire and just listen to what he's doing....it's pretty nifty playing.
Dave
Man, I guess I lucked out! That, or there's a redistribution going on. I'll contact the local shop I got it from and see what I can do. Maybe the reprint will be more available to all these days.

The reels are definitely topnotch, no question. Haven't found a one that I didn't appreciate aside from not caring for some of their settings. But the recording is certainly an archive of ornamentaion and variation possibilities. Dude's got chops. Flute's pretty out of tune on the airs and set dances, though. Oh, and there are thirteen tracks after all.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Okay, I called the shop, Irish on Grand in Saint Paul, MN, and they'd be happy to oblige.

http://www.irishongrand.com

Email:
contact@irishongrand.com

Toll-free phone:
1-888-IRISH55

The lady wasn't sure if the CD was listed on the website, but the email or phonecall will get you there. They have several copies, it appears, and I imagine they can get more. Shipping charge is USD$7.00.

Don't know what other sources there are; in the interest of the flute forum's swifter accessibility to the CD, I put this up as a good beginning with all due dispatch.

My treasure will become devalued currency, I fear. :)
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

okay...so it's crap
but i've GOTTA find out who made this fatastic, ugly flute of his!
>>
http://www.michaelflatley.com/photogallery2.cfm?id=445
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

David Migoya wrote:okay...so it's crap
I didn't say that. *tsk*
David Migoya wrote:...but i've GOTTA find out who made this fatastic, ugly flute of his!
>>
http://www.michaelflatley.com/photogallery2.cfm?id=445
That is just too disco for words. Made by Romulans, right? Dilithium crystal inlays on the body, looks like...