Burkes: What do you think?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Eric N
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Eric N »

How does the Burke Aluminum "D" play? I am carefully concidering buying a "high end" whistle. I love the look and sound of the Burke whistles. What experience have you had with Burke whistles? What do you love/dislike about them?

(A link to the Burke whistle that I am pondering)
https://www.sslzone.com/burkewhistles/w ... .asp?ID=11

Eric
Byll
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Hello, Eric. Burkes are superb whistles. So much has been written about them over the years that if you do a search, you will have hours of reading material. I play a number of Burkes, aluminum and brass. If you have direct questions, I will try to answer.
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
emmline

Post by emmline »

Wow. Doesn't your avatar ever get tired?

(can't speak for metal Burkes, mine is composite.)
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

emmi, I wanna order a lowD and a lowF composite. should i do it?
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

You can't do better than Burke, IMHO. Others will disagree, but they are superb. I doubt anyone would disagree on that point.
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I've owned a lot of whistles over the years...I've only really ever regretting selling a couple, and my Burke Al-Pro was one of them.

Luckily, I just got another one last week! :)

Excellent whistles, easy to play, easy to blow the 2nd octave, very precise tuning, stable tuning slide, good looking, great sounding, decently priced for what you're getting.

For me, there really isn't a downside here.
dapple

Post by dapple »

I have Brass and Composite Burke Narrow Bores but not an aluminum. I cover the tone holes, squak less, and move my fingers more quickly and consistently on Mike’s Narrow Bores than the other few High D’s I have tried. For that reason I sound better on them.

I have heard others here echo the comments on Mike’s site that the upper register and beyond are easiest to reach on the aluminum.
emmline

Post by emmline »

amar wrote:emmi, I wanna order a lowD and a lowF composite. should i do it?
you must resist. you must resist. you must....aw, what the heck, order the dang things.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

emmline wrote:
amar wrote:emmi, I wanna order a lowD and a lowF composite. should i do it?
you must resist. you must resist. you must....aw, what the heck, order the dang things.
two of em??? have you lost your mind????????

well, if you insist..
emmline

Post by emmline »

amar wrote: have you lost your mind????????

yes. but that's irrelevant.
Eric N

Thank you for all the Great Advise.

Post by Eric N »

Thank you for all the Great Advise.

I love and hate the search feature. A great deal of the time you get posts that have what you are searching come up once in the whole thread. If I was searching for info on "Burkes". I often get quotes such as "I prefer my Burke" and then the rest of the post is about something different. Then there are times when I do get some awesome results. I just wish there was a way to search for words I am looking for only in topic titles so I get topics that are more relevant.

Eric
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I have the Burke narrow-bore aluminum in D (DAN) and the wide-bore brass in C (CBW).

The DAN is great as far as timbre and responsiveness go. The second octave doesn't get the least bit shrill until you hit the upper C#--and even that's better than most of my other high D whistles.

One thing that you should know is that the C natural OXXOOO fingering is a just a tad sharp on the DAN, with OXXXOX being just right. The wide bores are said to be fine with OXXOOO. (See http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=21679) I mostly half-hole C nat, and my ear isn't very acute, anyhow, so OXXOOO satisfies me. (And I seldom play with others.)

Although it's different from the DAN in all three parameters, the CBW is also very nice. It has a slightly more complex sound--not quite as sweet. I don't know how much of the difference is due to the key, how much to the bore width, and how much to the material. However, I'd say that you probably couldn't go wrong with a D wide-bore Burke.

I've managed to drop both of my Burkes, by the way. The DAN bounced off of a tile counter onto a tile floor, and suffered only a couple of very minor dings. The CBW dropped mouthpiece-down on a pseudo-wood floor, bounced, and ended up with a little flattening of the opening opposite the mouthpiece, but I was able to use a dowel to round it out again. I couldn't find any damage at all to the mouthpiece or the slide joint. So, they're both pretty sturdy.

Anyhow, when I bought mine, Mike Burke offered a 30-day return if I wasn't satisfied--as long as the whistle isn't damaged in any way, but you should check that with him.

I love both of them.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Eric N

Thank you very much.

Post by Eric N »

Thank you very much. It is reassuring to know that craftsmen such as Michael stand behind thier work.

Eric
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hello Eric,
With Michael Burke's reputation as a talented builder, with many satisfied professional players as his mainstay, coupled with a 30 Day money back offer, it's not a difficult decision, at least for me! Good luck with your new Burke!
PS Your Avatar makes ME tired! You must be a JIG man!
~~~~
Barry
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

Heeheee I'm having fun playing tunes to the avatar's beat.
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.