Hello . . .

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dapple

Hello . . .

Post by dapple »

Hello, my name is David Applegate, and I have been playing the pennywhistle, taking lessons, and reading Chiff & Fipple since January of this year. I am a beginning whistler with beginner skills and having a blast playing the whistle. I haven’t joined the PWB until now because I’ve had lots to learn and little to add. I still don’t have much to add but want to say hello anyway.

While growing up, I studied the piano for seven years and bass fiddle for four. That was a long time ago.

Last winter I heard Flook’s Flatfish and was inspired to play the whistle. I have since acquired some great CD’s.

I suffer from stage freight when with my whistle teacher; alone I practice and practice and sound reasonably good for a beginner, I think, and then meet with my teacher and am unable to play anything resembling a tune. Lessons have ceased for the summer, but I’m currently diligently working on “Madame Vanoni” and “The Friendly Visit.” I think that I’ve come a long way over the summer and hope to impress my teacher when lessons resume next month. Wish me luck.

I have been afflicted with WHOA: so far, five Burkes, five Overtons, a Busman (on order), a Hoover, and an untweaked Generation and have come to believe that WHOA is spread by reading C&F, not by playing the whistle, and explained, at least in part, by the pleasure-pain principle. I have enjoyed talking with the whistle makers and playing their various whistles. My current favorite is my Burke B-natural Composite which I purchased from Mike at the Dublin, Ohio, Irish festival last month.

I worked on Capital Hill in Washington, DC, for twelve years and have been involved in numerous political campaigns. Guided by that experience and to maintain some tranquility in my life, I plan to avoid the “Political . . . and sometimes religious” thread.

That’s a bit about me; I already know a bit about some of you from reading PWB during the past eight months, and I’m glad to be here.
emmline
antispam: No

Re: Hello . . .

Post by emmline »

dapple wrote: I haven’t joined the PWB until now because I’ve had lots to learn and little to add. I still don’t have much to add but want to say hello anyway.

Hi David. Where'd you get the idea that you have to know something about whistles to have something to add? :lol:
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Glad to have you here! By your lovely bio, it appears that you have become a full fledge member with a serious addiction that we all have, although some will say that it is remission, but we know.

Welcome to a fantastic place to be!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Welcome a Board David. You seem rather well balanced upon the precipice of WHOA. The teacher stage fright thing is not uncommon, and will be overcome when that little switch in your brain goes from trying to impress your teacher to being immersed in the seemingly endless nuances and simple beauty of this music. (Try closing your eyes when playing, so you're back in your own living room alone, maybe.)

Anyway, welcome to the Board, where you'll find many wonderful witty and sometimes annoying people :D

Regards,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
GaryKelly

Re: Hello . . .

Post by GaryKelly »

dapple wrote:...snip...and have come to believe that WHOA is spread by reading C&F, not by playing the whistle... snip...
I told 'em! I keep telling 'em, it's Amar's fault, he's the devil I tells ya! But no-one believes me. Just like they didn't believe me when I warned them about the killer ants from China, burrowing underneath us, plotting against us... they'll be sorry when it's too late! :moreevil:

Welcome to the madness of C&F, which is the only thing keeping me sane here in my depressing little corporate cube. Though that is of course a matter of opinion. :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
dapple

Post by dapple »

My teacher tells me that if I don't start doing better that I'm going to have to give some of my whistles to him . . . for safekeeping. I think that he reads this board too.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

:devil: muahahahahahaaaaa :devil:
trisha

Post by trisha »

Never mind your teacher, just pack up those Overtons and stick them on the next plane over to n orth Wales.

Drove through a village called Overton on Saturday, must be fate :lol:

Trisha
trisha

Post by trisha »

Another cerebral posting from Amar I see :roll:
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

yohoho and a bottle of rum.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Hello . . .

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hello David,
Welcome to the World of Whistles and Well Wishers, as We Whittle and Whistle aWay time, lost in the Wrapture of it all!

PS, check your private messages for a less scary Welcome.
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~
Barry
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Do you have their other album, Rubai?

Would it make you sick with jealousy to know I've played in a band with Brian Finnegan? Admittedly, I was bashing a dustbin with a broomstick, but I was definitely very nearly in time.
dapple

Post by dapple »

Yes, I do have "Rubai," and "Flook! Live!," and "When the Party's Over."

And, Martin, I have PTC's "Hotrod Stoker" and "South Norwood" CD's. They are great. Very upbeat and lively. Sometimes I can slip in my earbuds at work and when I hear PTC, I just want to get up and dance. But I have the feeling that that won't especially be appreciated at the bank where I work, so I don't dance.

Those two PTC CD's are the only Kwela I have so far.
Last edited by dapple on Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Welcome, David. It soulds like you have taken nearly the same path that I have in pre and post whistle life.

Overtons are great. Just wait until you get your first blow on a wooden whistle though. THAT is another branch of WHOA altogether.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
dapple

Post by dapple »

"Post whistle life," NorCal? Does that mean that your whistle life if over? :)