Bamboo pennywhistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Daryl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Bamboo pennywhistles?

Post by Daryl »

Is anyone here familiar with this maker or his whistles?

http://www.eriktheflutemaker.com/?pageid=7402

Thanks!
Jack

Post by Jack »

www.mid-east.com has cane whistles for really cheap.

Most of the time they're decent. Sometimes they're spectacular, and sometimes they're less than playable.
caniadafallon

Post by caniadafallon »

Hi Daryl! I think his whistles (or was it his flutes?) have been talked about a few times on the boards... have you done a forum search? I know that function can be somewhat difficult to use, but you may have some success. I haven't had any personal experience with his instruments, otherwise I would comment. Good luck to you!

~Ad
Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
~Berthold Auerbach
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

He is known by several on the list, I think. Seems like the comments I've heard, regarding the whistles in particular, was that the mouthpiece was Susato, and one just as well get a plain Susato, as far as playability and sound go, though surely the bamboo is visually attractive.
Reasonable person
Walden
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Thanks, everyone!

I've had a bit of trouble with the search function sometimes, but I'll try it again on this one.
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Okay, I think I'm finally getting the hang of the search feature here -- getting a lot more relevant hits now.

Erik's flutes and whistles have been mentioned quite a bit in the past, most reviews I've seen so far look favorable.

Thanks!
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I had a sort of negative experience with him. He tried to raise his prices on me while we were discussing my needs and order. It took a couple of months because of his traveling, but that left a bad feeling.

Not that it is critical, but his musical knowledge was such that he could not tell me where on a piano keyboard his whistle ranges were located.

I am glad I found this site before purchasing any whistles.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

NorCalMusician wrote:I had a sort of negative experience with him. He tried to raise his prices on me while we were discussing my needs and order. It took a couple of months because of his traveling, but that left a bad feeling.

Not that it is critical, but his musical knowledge was such that he could not tell me where on a piano keyboard his whistle ranges were located.

I am glad I found this site before purchasing any whistles.

Thanks for the extra info. This may swing my decision. I wasn't really in the market anyway -- I just picked up a bamboo D somewhere else that I'm totally in love with. But I still look. His Arabic flutes intrigued me. :)

I'm learning, finally, to check here before I buy.

. -- Daryl
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Re: Bamboo pennywhistles?

Post by Wanderer »

Daryl wrote:Is anyone here familiar with this maker or his whistles?

http://www.eriktheflutemaker.com/?pageid=7402

Thanks!
Yup..in the olden days, he used to use a Susato head and make a bamboo body. I don't know if the head is still susato, but if so, it wouldn't surprise me. At faires he sells his own stuff and susatos and no other brands. I haven't looked at his wares in a year or two.

I've bought a number of flutes from him over the years, and even once had one of his bamboo whistles. I found all of the flutes uniformly difficult to play in the 2nd octave. The whistle was like a susato, but hissy..I don't think there was a good seal between the bamboo and the body or something.
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I had one of his bamboo D whistles. It did have a Susato mouthpiece and bamboo body. The sound was similar to a Susato but a bit less plastic sounding. It had large holes (larger than a Susato) and was pretty loud. It also smelled nice. It was great for half-holing notes.

-Brett
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

Daryl wrote: His Arabic flutes intrigued me. :)

. -- Daryl
I've got one of his Vivaldi Minor Flutes that's pretty cool. I'd be willing to trade for an extra whistle you might have lying around! PM me if you're interested.
"You have my undivided attention"
Hornpiper

Post by Hornpiper »

I had a high D for awhile & liked it, but ended up selling it - that was like 2 years ago though. I'd be interested to see what he has these days....
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Daryl wrote: His Arabic flutes intrigued me. :)

I'm learning, finally, to check here before I buy.

. -- Daryl
It's wise to check before you buy. For whistles using Arabic scales I'd wholeheartedly recommend our own Daniel Bingamon of Jubilee whistles who makes very nice sounding whistles in modal scales. His Ahava Raba whistles are great as are his various modal minor whistles.

Here's his site:

http://www.tinwhistles.us/
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Sorry not to have responded sooner. I got sent off on a business trip, then plunged into the holiday weekend and vacation when I got back.

Thanks very much for all your comments and suggestions! I'm feeling another case of WhOA developing....

-- Daryl
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Looks like this guy's making bamboo pennywhistles and doesn't even know it: http://www.webspirit.com/fluteman/book/ ... corder.htm
Reasonable person
Walden