Piper's grip on B-flat whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jen f
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jen f »

I got a Gen B-flat today, and I'm having a hard time with the reach and covering the holes. Do I just need to get used to it, or should I use piper's grip? Does anyone else use piper's grip on a B-flat? I do have small hands and slender fingers.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Once I learned how to cover holes on my low D, I started using piper's on everything, including Bb and high D's.
I have poor stretch, and pinky the last hole on low D and Bb. Everything above that key I can use my ring finger for.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

to tell you the truth, i played a low D for over a year with piper's grip,jig's reels,... and ever since i picked up button accordion, i had to pack in the piper's grip. my biggest stretch is now a high C. but at least i'll be heard in sessions anyway...
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hi Jen,
Yes, even though I can play it with my fingertips, it seems much more comfortable with less stress on fingers/wrists with the pipers grip. I have a blue top nickel Gen Bb, and think it's a great whistle for the money!
~~~~
Barry
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

I use piper's grip on the bottom three holes and regular on the top. I still don't find the piper's grip terribly comfortable or natural, and I have a hard time getting a seal on the holes with that part of the finger.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
happyturkeyman

Re: Piper's grip on B-flat whistle?

Post by happyturkeyman »

jen f wrote:I got a Gen B-flat today, and I'm having a hard time with the reach and covering the holes. Do I just need to get used to it, or should I use piper's grip? Does anyone else use piper's grip on a B-flat? I do have small hands and slender fingers.
Me too, me too, me too.

I gave my gen Bb to my mother for this reason.
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
emmline

Post by emmline »

The moral of this story is...there's no one right answer. You have to fit your hands to the whistle.
Jennie

Piper's grip on Bb whistle

Post by Jennie »

Jen,

I agree, see what works in terms of piper's grip or otherwise. You may want to check the archives on this topic too. Try "small hands" or "double-jointed" as search topics. There are some of us (me included) who have not figured out how to play a low whistle because of hyperextended knuckle joints. I love the low sound, but am beginning to resign myself to playing high whistles because the low ones hurt! :sniffle:

Gee, that sounded dismal. I didn't mean to inspire despair. Hope you find something that is comfortable for you.

Meanwhile, my seven-year-old delights in showing off a whole handful of double-jointed fingers! (I just have one on each hand.) Guess I should encourage her to take up the piccolo.

Jennie
emmline

Post by emmline »

Playing a low D did not require double joints, or extraordinary athleticism of the digits...but compared to a high whistle, it took me weeks to consistently get a decent sound out of the thing. I think the larger whistles are just more similar to other large woodwinds in that way. The rudiments of playing require practice, whereas almost anyone can toot a high D, with or without any particular artistry.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

emmline wrote:Playing a low D did not require double joints, or extraordinary athleticism of the digits...but compared to a high whistle, it took me weeks to consistently get a decent sound out of the thing. I think the larger whistles are just more similar to other large woodwinds in that way. The rudiments of playing require practice, whereas almost anyone can toot a high D, with or without any particular artistry.
Actually, the problem is, double-jointed fingers make it very difficult to keep the part of the finger necessary to seal the hole properly flat. All my fingers are double-jointed as well, and I think that's a large part of my problem. It's impossible to keep the finger flat if there's any pressure on it at all.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
emmline

Post by emmline »

Ok, I get it. An advantage to stiff joints.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

If you can get used to it, you may find that you
are faster and more accurate, finally ,IMO.
But if it's too great a struggle,
piper's grip is fine.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

I still fingertip most Bb's, yet feel more comfy with piper's grip from A down. Now I started from the low D whistle, and reluctantly acquired a taste for them high-pitch thingies...

I heard some very competent players say piper's let them play faster. And it does seem to make a difference when fluttering a tremolo...
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

If you want to play in Bb a lot and can't get used to the Generation, the hole spacing on the Tony Dixon Bb is much closer - no big drop to that bottom hole, and it's not so big wither.