Teenage Daughters

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kameo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kameo »

My teenage boys (16 and 19) informed me recently that they think it's great that I've taken up the whistle - but it embarrasses them that I get "too excited" about the subject.
Kim
caniadafallon

Post by caniadafallon »

Should I be frightened that my 10-1/2 year old is already exhibiting these behaviors??

:o

~Ad
Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
~Berthold Auerbach
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Kameo wrote:My teenage boys (16 and 19) informed me recently that they think it's great that I've taken up the whistle - but it embarrasses them that I get "too excited" about the subject.
Kim
My "boys", they're 23 and 27, don't give me any flack about the whistles but they, also, don't get too excited about it, lest I embarrass them. However, the 23 yr old told us just yesterday that whenever he runs into a high school buddy he hasn't seen for a while the friend also asks him how we, his mom and dad, are. He said his friends think we are cool. I wonder where they got that idea.
Mike
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I strive to out eye-roll, sneer, sigh my 16yr old daughter, who's pretty proficient. (I think she learned from me, so I can't say too much.) She never misses a chance to call me a nerd for playing whistle, so I retaliate by playing Six Penny Money, which is a code for being deliberately irritating to her. If she passes through the room while I'm playing something else, I immediately switch to 6PMoney and she runs from the room. I yell, "You know you love it." We also trade insults trying to make the other one smile. That's usually by doing an exagerated parody of the other one's quirky behavior.

She told me once that she was knocking me at school by saying I wear plaid shirts and sit in my room playing Irish music on the tin whistle '24/7' and some kid said "Your dad's cool."
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Of course you're cool, Tony ~ Just look at you!!!!

I have all sons, now ages 13, 15, 17 and 21.
They LOVE their mom!
No one makes fun of me........... heehee

(Once we had family charadeS in which everyone tried to guess which member of the family ~ it was HILARIOUS!!!)

m
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Hey,I am a teenage daughter! And I'm the one who plays the whistle!I would love it if my dad did too.Or my mom.But nooo,they just read,work,fix the house etc.*Sigh* :roll: *Thwack* (Just kidding! I actually do a lot less of that than my [also teenage] sister!)
-Kelly
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

(Once we had family charadeS in which everyone tried to guess which member of the family ~ it was HILARIOUS!!!)
Now, there's a bonding experience! We've done that. Hilarious and vicious at the same time. And, when everyone agrees/guesses right, that's insult to injury.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
kga26

Teenage Daughters

Post by kga26 »

Dear Philo

Because you gave me such brilliant advice about my whistle I am going to impart to you a little piece of wisdom that I have gained from personal experience. Don't even begin to try and understand your teenagers, and worse still, don't dare to empathise or recall days of your long lost teenage rebellious years in order to try and rationalise their behaviour. Remember You are Dad/Mum therefore you are an embarrasment. Playing a whistle doesn't help, but my god after listening to a night of thumping rap music coming through the ceiling doesn't the whistle practice just get to the little blighters at 7am!!!!

Kate
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Something must have gone wrong with my family.

My stepsons were wonderful growing up. Of course, they had 7-to-9 years of being raised by a Chinese grandmother before we brought them to the States. They did fight with each other a bit during the pre-teen years, but not later on.

My 17-year-old granddaughter is great, too (if you don't count a tendency to leave hair on the bathroom floor). She's sweet, polite, and helpful--and at the moment, she's the only one in the California branch of the family with a job :P (part time at Starbucks). She's even complimented my Patti Loveless CD in the car, though she still doesn't like the Mexican music that I listen to most of the time. She seems to be moving in the direction of appreciating singing skills vs. rhythmic noise.

I predict that my younger son's daughter is going to be a handful, though. At 7, she's already a bit spoiled. If we move to Texas, I guess I'll get to watch her develop into a teenager.

Of course, I was an lovely child, myself, and an excellent early teenager. :)

It wasn't till I went to college that I went wrong--flunked out twice (thanks mostly to bridge and a girl) and ended up hitchhiking from Texas to California rather than face my parents the second time. Turned out to be a good thing, though, as it led to the Army, my wife, and an introduction to various Asian languages.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Good advice Kate; but when I think of me as a teenager, my daughter just looks better and better and... :D

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:In my experience the male of the species avoids almost completely these obnoxious behaviours. Most teenage males I have met are early to rise, respectful to parents, hardworking, polite and greatful. Perhaps laziness, rudeness, and discontent with parents is genetically hardwired into females?

Chris
Tongue stuck firmly in cheek, eh? If not, my own example will disprove your female-specific theory. I was a lazy, disrespectful, rude, presumptuous and generally offensive teen until
adulthood's demands showed me what kickass parents I have.
I remain astonished they didn't do away with me at some convenient opportunity, and issued them a blanket apology decades ago for a multitude of teenage offenses. They accepted it with characteristic grace.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:In my experience the male of the species avoids almost completely these obnoxious behaviours. Most teenage males I have met are early to rise, respectful to parents, hardworking, polite and greatful. Perhaps laziness, rudeness, and discontent with parents is genetically hardwired into females?

Chris
Umm.. Chris... I guess I was mistaken when I assumed you lived on this planet with us... LOL...

I have both a teenage son and a teenage daughter... and they are equally talented in the sleep late, eye roll, and make the bad pun departments...

Mine are *generally* very good at recognizing that mom and dad aren't *really* as stupid as they'd like to believe... the mind control seems to be working... mmmwuuwahhahahahaa

edited for spelling, ...LOL... at least once
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
kga26

Post by kga26 »

I love my kids, and I was a foul teenager, but when I look at my georgeous teenage son, with his baseball cap on back to front, and what passes for a whisker drooping from his chin, and listen to the gruntings that eminate from his lips with all the verbal dexterity of a garden gnome, it sometimes crosses my mind that this trainee human being will one day be responsible for choosing my nursing home . Be afraid...be very afraid......
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

kga26 wrote: it sometimes crosses my mind that this trainee human being will one day be responsible for choosing my nursing home . Be afraid...be very afraid......
Ay yi yi....I of course didn't think of that one. Maybe I should do some research on nursing homes now? :D
My 14yo daughter was just in here, and although she actually DOES love to whistle, she asked what I was doing on the internet. When she found out it was a board for fellow whistlers, she told me that I was a lame dork. And here I thought that her learning Roddy McCorley by heart meant something....:roll:

Heather
kga26

Post by kga26 »

Hey how refreshing, I have one of that breed too!! Did you not know that in the 'Teenage Girls Greater Oxford English Dictionary' that 'Dork' is a cunning anagram of Mum ?
It runs something like this........Mum (Dork) 'where is my school uniform', Mum (Dork) 'can you help me with my homework ?' Mum (Dork) ..'but I reeeeallly love them' - in reference to totally impracticle shoes that would break your ankle, Mum (Dork) 'I hate my best friend she just did...whatever', Mum (Dork)'Can I just cuddle you--life is sooooo hard'.

Hey, how about the latest, Mum (Dork) 'but she's got a Yacht!'

Repeat ad infinitum whilst whistling it's quite good for jigs! Its about 6/8 timing I think, well anyway, it's fairly relentless.

Best Wishes ,

Kate :wink: