Oh my, Not ANOTHER Newbie With a Question!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Stine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Oh my, Not ANOTHER Newbie With a Question!

Post by Stine »

Just another newbie post.

I was first interested in the tinwhistle after listening to Flogging Molly- I was absolutely enchanted by the sound that Bridget Regan produced on hers. I've been lurking about C&F for a couple of good months, but never really worked up the courage to join, until now.

As a student (just old enough to join this forum), I don't have a lot of money in my disposal, I am unable to buy things online (as I lack a credit card/bank account), and I hate the idea having to bother my parents to get me one (lord knows they do enough for me :3). I am planning to give a friend some money to buy a whistle online for me...

I was initially planning to purchase a Walton's Little Black(it seemed to be quite reliable after what I read from the Inexpensive Whistle Page), but after scanning through several topics, I 'm beginning to think that I should, er, rethink my choice. It seems that most of you would advise against the Walton's... I'm now considering the SweeTone or maybe even a Generation...Perhaps I should get all three and try them all out?

I play the flute and I sing a LOT, so I doubt I lack air, and I have a knack for picking up instruments and playing by ear. However, I also get bored easily and am often uninspired to practice. I'm hoping my love for Flogging Molly(which is very strong, FM is the only band I can listen for weeks on end and NOT GET TIRED. I also sat down and wrote up the tinwhistle parts to several of their songs, which is the only band I've ever done that for) will help, but I'm afraid of making an investment on something that I'll just toss away later.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And ye gods, I use a lot of parentheses.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Walton's Mello D is a great place to start (the little black one isn't that great). I still love mine, after all the high enders I own now. And I love Flogging Molly, too. :)
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Welcome, Stine!

I agree with blackhawk concerning Walton's Little Black -- I didn't care for that whistle at all and gave mine away quickly. The SweeTone{~$6-8} or the Meg(~$3-4) are nice cheap whistles. While they may not be quite 'in tune' to play with someone else, or along with a recording, both are easily played. The Whistle Shop ( www.thewhistleshop.com ) is a good place to do some cyber window-shopping and check what's available, prices, tutorials, etc. ... even if you buy elsewhere. Check out local music stores and flea markets. I found a Sweetone at a flea market last summer -- the 1st whistle I had found in my area at all!

Have a great time with your new hobby, but beware ....it's addictive!

~Judy
Faustus

Post by Faustus »

I've only been playing for about 3 weeks but I have to say - do not start with the Little Black Whistle! I had that for the first week and a half and it squeaked on the upper register every time, it really was pretty dire. I borrowed my girlfriend's Generation and it played on the upper register like a dream. Yesterday I got a Clare 2-part, not quite as sweet as the Generation, but much nicer than the LBW and splits into 2 parts which is great for practicing around.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I had a little black whistle in my car for those times when I am waiting for my wife or whatever. I just replaced it with a Waltons Mellow D. All of the ones you mentioned are good to start with, the Sweetone, a Generation or a Clare. Of these the easiest to play is probably the Sweetone but others will have a different opinion. Eventually you will buy them all anyway.

Ron
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Do you play other instruments? I would say an Oak would be the most consistant cheap whistle to start with, but if you've never developed breath control on an instrument before, it may be more than you can put up with at first. Sweetone. Or Clare maybe. I've got a friend at work trying to learn to play, and he was most comfortable with my *cring* Susato. It didn't flip and squeek as bad as most others.
And there are plenty that believe in the old faithful Clarke original as a first whistle. Only problem with that being it usually needs a bit of tweeking to make it properly playable first.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I didn't like the Walton's Mellow-D or the Clarke original AT ALL. I got rid of them both (one through excessive tweaking - no mourning after that). Lots of others out there to try - I'd suggest starting with a Generation.

Susan
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Stine: If your screen name is your true last name, then you and I share an ancestor, somewhere, somehow. Therefore, considering the importance of heredity and all that... Please e-mail me your full name and address, and I will send you, free of any charges, a D Feadog tube with one of Mack Hoover's Whitecaps attached...You might as well get started right...

Anything for a long lost, if young, relative...

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Byll wrote:Stine: If your screen name is your true last name, then you and I share an ancestor, somewhere, somehow. Therefore, considering the importance of heredity and all that... Please e-mail me your full name and address, and I will send you, free of any charges, a D Feadog tube with one of Mack Hoover's Whitecaps attached...You might as well get started right...

Anything for a long lost, if young, relative...

Best.
Byll
Man, I love this forum. For the most part, the people here are just so nice! That's a great offer, Byll.

Cheers,
John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Stine

Post by Stine »

Thanks for the great advice, you're all such nice folks.

Byll: Though your offer is really wonderful...My sn isn't my last name; it's just a short version of my name (Christine) that my friends called me by back in fourth grade. And even if it was, I seriously doubt I'd be of any relation to you, since I'm Vietnamese. :roll:
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

I would like to suggest a Dixon, nicely in tune and not very expensive. Pick a few different makes that sound interesting and get several different ones, at least three. Oh, and get them in the key of D to start.
Hils

Post by Hils »

We are all brothers and sisters here our common ancestor's name is Whistle. O'Whistle, McWhistle, von Whistle, van Whistle, Whistlessen, Johanwhistle, St.Whistle, de Whistle, Whistlezen, Fitzwhistle, Whistleopolis, Whistleczyc, Whistlenko all cousins, feel free to add more.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Stine wrote:Thanks for the great advice, you're all such nice folks.

Byll: Though your offer is really wonderful...My sn isn't my last name; it's just a short version of my name (Christine) that my friends called me by back in fourth grade. And even if it was, I seriously doubt I'd be of any relation to you, since I'm Vietnamese. :roll:
You shoulda just taken the free whistle :lol:
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Hils wrote:We are all brothers and sisters here our common ancestor's name is Whistle. O'Whistle, McWhistle, von Whistle, van Whistle, Whistlessen, Johanwhistle, St.Whistle, de Whistle, Whistlezen, Fitzwhistle, Whistleopolis, Whistleczyc, Whistlenko all cousins, feel free to add more.
Reminds me of the name Kevin Kline gives in 'A Fish Called Wanda". What was it, Manfredsedstjohn or something like that?
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Christine: The Feodog body/Hoover Whitecap whistle is still yours. Please e-mail me with your full name and a mailing address. Let it be compliments of all of us. Welcome to the board. You will never be bored with these people.
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979