Way OT: Favorite Smoothie Recipes?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jen f
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Way OT: Favorite Smoothie Recipes?

Post by jen f »

I've really enjoyed homemade smoothies for lunch lately. The two I make are:

Strawberry-Banana Smoothie
1 frozen banana
1 container strawberry yogurt
A little milk
10 ice cubes

Peanut Butter-Banana Smoothie
1 frozen banana
2 heaping tablespoons creamy peanut butter
A squirt of honey
1/2 cup milk
10 ice cubes

Does anyone else have a favorite smoothie recipe you'd like to share? I'd love to try some new ones.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Re: Way OT: Favorite Smoothie Recipes?

Post by IDAwHOa »

Replace the ice cubes with cold or frozen pineapple juice!!!!

I'll see if I can get Renee to share her secret recipe later. I think the BIG secret is she never does it two times the same.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

throw a drop of vodka in along with it....it's amazing the difference it makes :D
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Whistling Willie wrote:throw a drop of vodka in along with it....it's amazing the difference it makes :D
Aye, would mess it up, it would! :evil:

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

My vegan version of a Wendy's Frosty:

1 cup cocoa flavored soy milk
1 very ripe banana, frozen
Chocolate syrup

Place all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.

Another (lower fat) fave:

1/2 cup ripe raspberries
1 very ripe banana, frozen
1 cup orange juice
1 measure "Genisoy" protein powder (vanilla-flavored)

Process until smooth

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
moxy

Post by moxy »

My morning ritual:

a mixture of nuts (brazil, cashew, almond and / or hazelnuts)
(blend the nuts with a bit of water before adding anything else)

a banana

a pear

some frozen mango, or raspberries, or whatever else, frozen or fresh

rice milk

orange juice (or any other fruit juice you want to try out like grape or cranberry, pear or mango)

soft tofu dessert (makes it thick and smooth and so yummy - you can get some fruit-flavoured tofu, although it's kinda sweet)

Udo's oil (just a bit, good for the skin and other stuff)

I've made them with peanut butter too, that's quite delicious, but I've been off of the peanut butter for a while. Europe's Best has a variety of frozen fruit that are very convenient for smoothies - but the strawberries are sometimes just too frozen to properly blend. My roommate uses carrot juice in her smoothies.

The nuts really add to it though, I love it. And the carrot juice isn't a bad idea.

You can also try adding an apple, or apple sauce.....

Yeah, I put whatever I have at my disposal!! It's always delicious :) And I get some strange looks from people in the office when I bring it in to work with me... (they like to call it my sludge!)
Jack

Post by Jack »

You'd be surprised how much better soy milk makes a smoothie. I've drank the same one made with cow milk and soy milk, and the soy milk is much better, IMHO. It adds the same smoothness and richness but also gives a very slight nutty taste.
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

Good moxy! Rice milk > soy milk.

Frozen strawberries and some rice milk, all in a blender. Yummay.\

I sometimes add cream, but I don't drink rice milk 'cause I'm a vegan... I drink it cause I'm a freak. :D
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
moxy

Post by moxy »

happyturkeyman wrote:I don't drink rice milk 'cause I'm a vegan... I drink it cause I'm a freak. :D
Yeeha, so I'm not the only one :) Bring it on!!

Oh, speaking of freaks, my roommate also adds chlorophyll - gives it a slightly Irish tinge :boggle:
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I'll substitute the banana for maybe blueberries or raspberries minus the seeds. Can't deal with bananas except all by themselves. Maybe some lime. Oh yeah.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

I've been thinking about getting a smoothie machine. Do you guys(people) use smoothie machines, blenders.....What's the best?
"You have my undivided attention"
moxy

Post by moxy »

I got a blender for Christmas two years ago and have been using only that (Kenmore, from Sears, about $100 or less). My roommate has used the same for even longer than I have.

I'd suggest a blender because it's so versatile - you can make cream soups in there, or other things that require a blender (I'm not very creative in the kitchen, and have only used mine for smoothies!!).

I'd even suggest you get one with a plastic container if you can, unless you're very careful with the glass containers. I've had to replace mine once because the cat knocked it off the counter and it cracked...

But plastic containers are maybe not as sturdy as the glass ones, so perhaps glass really is better.

That being said, I've never used an actual smoothie machine, so perhaps someone else could comment favourably about theirs?
moxy

Post by moxy »

Oh yeah, my blender also came with a food processor attachment which can be handy for grinding nuts (no comment) or making stuff like pesto and... well, again, I'm not creative and have not used my food processor for much else!! But there are plenty of things you can do with that...
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

Thanks Moxy.

I've got a decent blender at home. I'm going to try some of the receipes with it this weekend.
"You have my undivided attention"
IDAwHOa

Post by IDAwHOa »

We have a commercial Oster Blender that we bought at a fair right after we were married in 1979 (yes, that is almost 25 years ago). Stainless steel container and we have only had to replace the blades once when one of the blades broke.

I think we have gotten our monies worth out of that one!