Windows XP Service Pack 2 – WARNING!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MarcusR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

I just installed SP2 for WinXP last week, something I really regret now.
After installation and reboot, the computer was so slow that I was about to give it CPR.
A few reboots later, some tweaking and after shutting down all new cosmetics, background apps and the firewall installed by SP2 my computer came back out of its coma and is now semi-working at half speed or worse. Starting Matlab use be done in a few secs but is now over a 1 minute process. Internet explorer is noticeable slower and having more than a handful processing running is completely out of the question. Some of my previously installed apps, like Norton, Adobe Live motion, Encore Dvd, Zone Alarm, Reason and online gaming (BFV, CS) wont work at all anymore. :(
How can they call it an Operating System when they can’t even provide a simple bugfix without screwing up things even more? :x

Thank God for Linux!

/MarcusR
happyturkeyman

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2 – WARNING!

Post by happyturkeyman »

MarcusR wrote:I just installed SP2 for WinXP last week, something I really regret now.
After installation and reboot, the computer was so slow that I was about to give it CPR.
A few reboots later, some tweaking and after shutting down all new cosmetics, background apps and the firewall installed by SP2 my computer came back out of its coma and is now semi-working at half speed or worse. Starting Matlab use be done in a few secs but is now over a 1 minute process. Internet explorer is noticeable slower and having more than a handful processing running is completely out of the question. Some of my previously installed apps, like Norton, Adobe Live motion, Encore Dvd, Zone Alarm, Reason and online gaming (BFV, CS) wont work at all anymore. :(
How can they call it an Operating System when they can’t even provide a simple bugfix without screwing up things even more? :x

Thank God for Linux!

/MarcusR
I'm on XP sp2 due to Limited HD space. Just installed sp2 tonight, actually. Thankfully I am not having performance issues.

Haven't run any benchmarks but I was still getting my standard 50 FPS in Call of Duty, and I haven't noticed anything slow with IE.

" they can’t even provide a simple bugfix without screwing up things even more"

You just wait til they find out all the new security issues with it and start cranking out a bunch of updates! :D
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
glauber

Post by glauber »

I'm waiting a bit before i do the install, but from what i've read, i wonder if you're having problems with the new firewall. Try turning that off and see if the computer boots faster. Then the hard part, to turn it back on and find out which programs need to access network resources that it's blocking.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I installed a week or two ago and haven't noticed any changes other than a better network connection taskbar icon and interface. No slowdowns..
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
carrie

Post by carrie »

avanutria wrote:I installed a week or two ago and haven't noticed any changes other than a better network connection taskbar icon and interface. No slowdowns..
Me too.

Carol
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Ditto.

:-?
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

No problems either however my internet access is much faster.

Ron
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I just thought about installing it and it wrecked my car.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
MarcusR

Post by MarcusR »

vomitbunny wrote:I just thought about installing it and it wrecked my car.
See, and don't say I didn't warn you. :D

Things have now improved, took quite some time though. After uninstalling the apps that didn’t work properly and re-installing some of them again the computer is working even though it’s not up to speed. Feels like I have a virus scan or defragging process constantly running in the background. I really can’t say what went wrong but four out of twenty-two computers updated last week got similar symptoms, one died and the rest is fine.
Statistically that might even be quite ok for a Microsoft update. :lol:

Checked out some computer sites and discovered that they already found a major security issue in SP2.
Just can’t wait to try SP3 :twisted:

If you haven’t installed it yet I would at least wait until the next build.

/MarcusR
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

I installed it last week, had some problems with it, uninstalled it and things are back to almost normal now. It didn't slow mine down I don't believe, but there were definite issues!
I had a similar problem with the AOL spyware download, and got rid of that also.
~~~~
Barry
glauber

Post by glauber »

MarcusR wrote:Checked out some computer sites and discovered that they already found a major security issue in SP2.
The one i know about is a cute one: if you install a rogue program, it's possible for that program to disable the computer's firewall and make it look like it's still enabled. Not a bug, just really bad design of that feature.

I have XP at home, but i'm not too worried because the computer is behind a hardware firewall appliance and i keep the virus scanner up to date. But i'll do the upgrade eventually.

g
--Wellsprings--
MarcusR

Post by MarcusR »

Here it is Glauber!

XP SP2 über patch already needs fixing!

You'll never know what will happen when you "click" Dales avatar in the future. :D

/MarcusR
glauber

Post by glauber »

At least 2 different problems, then.
--Wellsprings--
NZ_Chris

Post by NZ_Chris »

I installed it on my PC and laptop... went fine both times and has caused no problems since.

XP already had the Firewall built in, it was not added by SP2 ... however the SP2 installation does turn the Firewall on if there is not already one running. For example, when I installed to my laptop it turned on the Firewall, but on my PC (which already had ZoneAlarm running) it did not.
Caj

Post by Caj »

I definitely experienced slowdowns after SP2, in launching applications. During boot-up the lag is especially obvious. No problems with apps not working, tho.

SP2 seems to be more security-centric, with reassuring shield icons, and warnings popping up when my software tries to connect to the Internet. However, much of it seems to be for show, giving an appearance of security. As mentioned before, the firewall is so fake that programs can just turn it off without your knowledge or permission.

Still, it's nice to know that computer companies at least recognize that consumers want security. Back in the 1990s executives snorted at the suggestion and barely spent a dime making things safe.

Caj