Martin Doyle

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
michael_coleman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Martin Doyle

Post by michael_coleman »

I think I mentioned on here at one time that I got to play a flute made by Martin Doyle while I was in Salzburg. I loved the flute and it was made of a native New Zealand wood. It was his celtic style flute (two piece keyless). I looked on the kiwicelt website and it looks as though Martin Doyle doesn't make conical flutes. He seems to make traditional style flutes, celtic ones (stated above) and some other kind of style. Has anyone received a traditional style flute that was conical (ie made like a traditional Irish flute)? Also, do you know if he can use the New Zealand woods to make a traditional Irish flute? Also, about how much do they cost (ie keyless and one with keys)

Anyone....?

Thanks
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I emailed him recently and he said:
Hi Brett

I have A trad flute here at the moment.
Its a 2 piece instrument In D.
It is 520 euro
Doc Jones

Re: Martin Doyle

Post by Doc Jones »

michael_coleman wrote:I looked on the kiwicelt website and it looks as though Martin Doyle doesn't make conical flutes. He seems to make traditional style flutes, celtic ones (stated above) and some other kind of style. Has anyone received a traditional style flute that was conical (ie made like a traditional Irish flute)? Also, do you know if he can use the New Zealand woods to make a traditional Irish flute? Also, about how much do they cost (ie keyless and one with keys)

Anyone....?

Thanks
I'm confused. I think his traditional flute is conical like all trad flutes as is the celtic model. The prinicipal difference is that the "celtic" model is two-piece with a cork tenon and no tuning slide while th "traditional" model has more pieces (3?) and has a slide. I own one of his "celtic" models in blackwood and think it is a tremendous flute. David Levine has owned/played the "trad" models as well. Maybe he'll drop in and clarify.

The kiwicelt website implies he can use whatever wood you want. Someone on the WFO II CD is playing a Doyle made of yew.

Doc
David Levine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Doyle flutes

Post by David Levine »

This probably won't help (sorry Pat), but... I thought his Celtic models referred to flutes with silver bands with Celtic designs. The further option of slide (covered or uncovered by wood-- Doyle is a master craftsman) I thought did not have to do with the designation "Celtic."
I have played several Doyle flutes. They all spoke beautifully with great volume and good intonation. I have never played a bad Martin Doyle flute. Doyle himself is a marvellous player. Catherine McEvoy's youngest son, Fergus, won the All-Ireland last year on a Martin Doyle flute with no tuning slide.
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Here's another Web site to check:

http://www.crehans.ie/Flutes/FlutesMain.aspx
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

A gentleman arrived at the local session last Sunday with a Doyle flute (at least that's what I remember he said it was). This one was blackwood with a barrel and tuning slide and plain silver bands but no foot joint. He was across from me so I didn't hear it and I left early so didn't get to ask for a puff on it. It looked nice though.

Cheers,
Aaron
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Martin Doyle

Post by kkrell »

Doc Jones wrote: Someone on the WFO II CD is playing a Doyle made of yew.

Doc
Desi Wilkinson. Probably no better recommendation, as he's a remarkably expressive player. There are a couple of tracks on his CD "Shady Woods" played on Doyle flutes.

Martin Doyle is in Bray (south of Dublin) near Desi Seery.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Here's a quote from the website:

"Martin makes three distinct styles of wooden flute.
They are: the Celtic style flute, the Traditional style flute and the Baroque style flute, which has become very popular with the resurgence of early music.

The Celtic style flutes: have a subtle and stylish curving contour in the look of the flute, with a slight "swelling" at the tenon for strength. They have only one silver ferule at this joining point, which has a stylised Celtic motif. The Celtic flutes generally remain keyless.
The Traditional style flutes: have straighter bodies with silver "ring" ferules at each end of the head-joint and one ferule at the tip of the flute. It is upon these flutes that Martin mounts keys and tuning slides, depending on the customers needs. They are often sold keyless and without tuning slides.
The Baroque style flutes: are a four-piece single keyed traditional baroque flute, most often ordered in African Blackwood.

here are four models of keyless flutes available on demand, all made from the best hardwoods: African Blackwood, Ebony, Cocus and Boxwood. Special order flutes are also available in native Irish and European timbers. The flutes made of native New Zealand timbers are also available (see following section).

eyed flutes are made to order with either three, five, six or eight keys. All ferules and keys are made from silver. The keys are hand forged by Martin. Tuning slides can be made from either brass or silver."

On inspection of the photos it looks like David is right. It seems that the "traditional" model is also a 2-piece flute with or without slide. The differences may only be external cosmetic ones.

Doc
oreganem

Martin Doyle flute

Post by oreganem »

I have a Martin Doyle two piece flute ( No tuning slide) made of black Mairi, a New Zealand timber.. It looks a bit like boxwood.. Lovely and light. It has a really nice loud sound, easy to fill but the e tends to break into the high octave and it's a bit flat at the start of a session. The tone for me is a bit muddy but Kevin Crawford played it and annouced it to be 'grand and loud'. I've just upgraded to a rosewood flute made by a German based in Auckland (via Dingle) Maurice Reviol (who Martin uses to put keys on his flutes), which I think has a brighter sound.. In three pieces and has a tuning slide for the same money.... I love my Martin Doyle, a fantastic flute to start with but I felt that it was a bit limited long term. Hope that helps.
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Any idea how to get in contact with Maurice Reviol? What are his price listings?
Gaaslaj
Tell us something.: I'm selling a whistle, I'm a long-time member, thanks, John. Looks like I need more words, wow, really hard to update this, not sure what else to write, hope this is enough.

Doyle

Post by Gaaslaj »

I recieved an e-mail from Martin recently. It's kind of confusing. He doesn't make a yew flute, and said he would not recommend it. He has a partner in Australia who makes all the other flutes. He makes the traditional model in Ireland from blackwood. Hope that helps! j.
oreganem

Contact details Maurice Reviol

Post by oreganem »

I paid $1000 NZ (about 500 euros) for a three piece keyless with tuning slide, silver rings and soft case. I've forwarded you on his e-mail address.
Hope that helps
Edith
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

michael_coleman wrote:Any idea how to get in contact with Maurice Reviol?
Wasn't Blayne (mcChastain) carrying Reviol flutes for a while? You might try him.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Why would anyone consider a flute made out of Yew?
You wouldn't be playing it for very long before your liver gives out!
Shardul.

Post by Shardul. »

Hi Everyone! Just came across the comments about Martin Doyle's flutes. I run the Kiwicelt website that sells Martin's flutes from New Zealand. Just to let eveyone know - all of Martin's Irish flutes have conical bores - whether they be in the Traditional style, the Celtic style or the Baroque flutes. I will state this more clearly on the website. Cheers ... Shardul.
Last edited by Shardul. on Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.