Winter Chiff Gathering (Already???)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

feadogin wrote:Dia dhuit, Ava!
Dia 's Maire dhuit, a fheadogin!
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Well, since this IS about a November gathering.....

Our house is on the market right now. Our goal is to be packed and gone the first weekend of November, but......

if we happen to still be in the area and not going crazy with preparations for moving we just might find our way down there.

Considering that, and I realize my vote means little at this point, the first weekend would be best for us.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
BoneQuint
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BoneQuint »

So will you still be NorCal, or maybe SouWyo, or what?
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Okay, we have one vote for first week of Nov. Now, on to the menu... :lol:

I should be back to my normal self by then. I've pretty much kicked the mustard gorging habit. Now, if I can break the sleep-walking down to Jack-in-the-Box for greasy super-tacos disorder. I only know about it because of the wrappers and the heartburn in the morning. And the dog licking my lips.
Our house is on the market right now. Our goal is to be packed and gone the first weekend of November, but......
Steven, my sister sold her place in Clear Lake and moved out a couple of weeks ago. This past weekend, the property (not the house) went up in flames along with a bunch of neighbors' properties. (No houses lost, from what I heard.) Was it close to you?

And, what's with this "I'm afraid I'll be in Ireland that weekend," everytime we plan a get together? Is that like, "I can't go out with you this weekend, I have to wash my hair?"
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

feadogin wrote:How about coming out to S.F. for the next February tionol? :party:
Well, I'll definitely go in California at one point, the question is when. I'll make sure we have a major gathering when I go :-)
feadogin wrote: Where are you going in Ireland? Sounds fun, except I hear the weather's pretty bad then. I've only been to Irelad in the Summer.
Yeah I've been in Ireland 7-8 times and mostly during summer time, I went once in december and the weather was scary. But november is better for me (also going with Moxy, and Jack might join us) because there are no tourists and a great festival in Ennis. It's also cheaper. The EURO is killing me.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

TonyHiggins wrote: And, what's with this "I'm afraid I'll be in Ireland that weekend," everytime we plan a get together? Is that like, "I can't go out with you this weekend, I have to wash my hair?"
Tony
I don't have much hair to wash, you'll need to find another excuse for me, Tony! :lol:
Karina

Post by Karina »

Azalin wrote:Did you get my CD, O'Karina ? ;-)
I did, thanks so much! But next time, please refer to me according to my proper status. I accept "Her Supreme Majesty" and "Oh Magnanimous One". However, since you are a friend, I suppose I could let you by with only calling me the Supreme O'Karina.

Note: Any resemblance in pronunciation to a particular instrument is purely coincidental. I reserve the right to reject any and all interpretations of my name according to any flight of fancy or whim.
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Well I ran into Justine (and Micheal Eskin) at the plough on Tuesday night and she said that you guys were planning another getogether. I don't know if I'll be around for most of November because I might be in Ireland! but I'm pretty sure I'll be in the area during the first weekend of November.

And btw Az, you never said replied to my email asking what the actual dates of the trip are... so if you could be so kind to drop me and email I'd appreciate it.
No I'm not returning...
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Any weekend in early November is fine with me. though of course, depending on one's politickal leanings, the results of Nov 2 could have some influence on the spirit of the day - whether we play victory marches or keening laments...
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

stiofan wrote:Any weekend in early November is fine with me. though of course, depending on one's politickal leanings, the results of Nov 2 could have some influence on the spirit of the day - whether we play victory marches or keening laments...
Just a suggestion - why don't we avoid politicizing the event? I know there are those of us on both sides of the issue in our group, and the last thing I want to do when I meet friends is to spend my time arguing over politics. :swear:

If they'll accept me as knuckle-dragging mouth-breathing right wing reactionary I'll accept them as a mush-headed innumerate liberal extremist and we can all get on to what's really important - playing music and comparing instruments. :really:

(And eating and drinking - how could I have forgotten that?)
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

alas, this just goes to show that one of the most limiting features of web dialogue is in its inability to subtly express scarcasm, irony and other attitudinal tones in cybertalk. I'm by no means advocating a politicized gathering, even though a good deal of Irish music has political origins...
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

MurphyStout wrote:I don't know if I'll be around for most of November because I might be in Ireland! but I'm pretty sure I'll be in the area during the first weekend of November.

And btw Az, you never said replied to my email asking what the actual dates of the trip are... so if you could be so kind to drop me and email I'd appreciate it.
Don't forget to share those dates with the London contingent!
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

stiofan wrote:alas, this just goes to show that one of the most limiting features of web dialogue is in its inability to subtly express scarcasm, irony and other attitudinal tones in cybertalk. I'm by no means advocating a politicized gathering, even though a good deal of Irish music has political origins...
Sorry if I jumped the shark, then.

I figured there was a good chance you were joking, but given the rather . . . extreme . . . variance in political views among Bay Area chiffers I wanted to make certain we wouldn't end demonstrating the pub-clearing ability of low whistles & flutes. :twisted:
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

DCrom wrote:demonstrating the pub-clearing ability of low whistles & flutes. :twisted:
Yeah, beware my newest:

Overton Low C
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

First weekend in November gets my vote.Other Weekender out-of-state so no eye-rollin' about 30 whistles tootin' at once. May even be still warm outside, hard to say.

I can't remember anybody talking politics at either of the two parties at the Higgins'. Because I would have had to bite my tongue off (hey, I do have rules about these things) if they did.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?