Book Review: 101 Myths of the Bible

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tak_the_whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

Miracles happen every year. For instance, corns die, and rise again. Or even on a daily basis. Sun rises and sets every single day.
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
Jack

Post by Jack »

Quote @ Tak_the_whistler
Miracles happen every year. For instance, corns die, and rise again. Or even on a daily basis. Sun rises and sets every single day.
:lol:
Jack

Post by Jack »

pthouron

Post by pthouron »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:A couple more amusing quotes: "The Vatican City State, which was almost as papist as Eire, was established in 1929..." Norman Davies, Europe: A History."

"A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on..." - Bill Hicks.
Wow. I've just been listening to "Relentless" non-stop for a couple of days. Just found the tape in a drawer and realized how much I miss Bill Hicks these days...
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Sunnywindo wrote:[
Ron! I didn't know you were LDS. Fun to know. I think that makes four on the board that I know of.

:) Sara (who still thinks those penguins should be dancing)
Now there are 5 :)
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Welcome toughknot. If you are in Washington on Friday afternoon or Saturday evening you will find me in the Temple.

Ron
Jon-M

Post by Jon-M »

The Bible is chock full of things that aren't accepted by modern science! A woman turning into a pillar of salt? A person riding along inside a whale? Someone turning water into wine? These are miracles![/quote]

And, in a way, perhaps even more to the point, there is the miracle of God stopping the sun in the course of its daily movement through the sky to help the Jews beat the Philistines in battle. It was, in part, Galileo's assertion that the earth moved around the sun, not the sun around the earth, that landed him in trouble with the Inquisition. Of course, relativity has obfuscated the whole question of what moves.
david-z

Post by david-z »

I have just finished reading every post-WOW. I am amazed at how wonderfully knowledgable Whistlers are. I was not bored, what topic could be more important than GOD. I was "Born Again" 17 yrs. ago. I remember thinking at the time what a load of crap this was, saying these magic words to the air or universe or whatever, totally illogical. My heart or knowingness was driven and excited to do this thing that made no sense at all. I especially did not want to become like those christians that lived under the shroud of fear based on ignorance. I asked God to make me know whether this was head games or reality, then went to sleep. I had never slept so peacefully in my life, and awoke with the barrier between myself and God gone, I just knew and felt like I was being listened to when I talked to him along with a feeling of presence and closeness to him (I felt loved). I started reading the bible because I was curious to find documentation on this phenomenon, and I found myself understanding this book that had previously been a silly compilation of detached stories. I had the same presence and joy reading this book that I had speaking toward him. Without the existence of the bible I would have been endlessly happy just to be with him. What I have when I'm with him can't help but lead to change. The one commandment that Jesus said to do is Love and that can only start when your Loved.
I like to read the bible because it all focuses on the Lover of my soul, and I am obsessed and in love. Whether the stories are myth or scientifically proveable is irrelevant when they confim the Spirit of Him that I know that I know IZ.
"Where is the Wisdom we have lost in Knowledge? Where is the Knowledge we have lost in Information?"
~~~~~T.S. Elliot~~~~~
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Hey! This is like a blast from the past!

Enjoy your experience, david-z. I know what you mean. I had a similar experience years ago. It was the best time of my life. I'm not sure what made me want to explore the possibility that my beliefs were not well grounded. I think it was taking a closer look as the history of the way some of the scriptures had been chosen, put together, and then altered. I began to grow skeptical. I think it's important not to question religious authority if one want to remain.
Jim Wright

myths of the Bible

Post by Jim Wright »

The thing about us Christians ... if what we believe is true ... we are in great shape. If what we believe is wrong it won't make any difference. :D

Jim
Lorenzo

Re: myths of the Bible

Post by Lorenzo »

Jim Wright wrote:If what we believe is wrong it won't make any difference. :D
But you could have had 50 virgins in heaven if the other religion is right! That would be different. :)
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Re: myths of the Bible

Post by Walden »

Lorenzo wrote:
Jim Wright wrote:If what we believe is wrong it won't make any difference. :D
But you could have had 50 virgins in heaven if the other religion is right! That would be different. :)
We don't swing in heaven.
Reasonable person
Walden
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Oh Walden, you'd better have a second look at "Extract from Captain Stormfield's visit to Heaven."
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

david-z wrote: I started reading the bible because I was curious to find documentation on this phenomenon, and I found myself understanding this book that had previously been a silly compilation of detached stories.
Been there, done that myself, David. I found Jesus 4 years ago, after being an atheist most of my adult life (I'm 50 now). What a new world opened up to me! "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved, it is the power of God." 1 Corinthians 1: 18

And welcome to C&F, David!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Jim Wright

myths of the Bible

Post by Jim Wright »

Lorenzo,

50 virgins huh ... yep .. that would be different! However, now at my age .. the thought of that "upsets" my pacemaker LOL!

Think I am going to stay with the "plan" I am on. I have been married to the same woman for 36 years and if think I want the "problems" of 50 women ... you have a brick loose my friend. :lol: :lol:

Jim