Sessions in San Francisco..?!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sam_T
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Sessions in San Francisco..?!

Post by Sam_T »

Hi All

I'm spending a week on holiday in San Francisco at the beginning of September (1-8th) and was planning on sticking a whistle in the suitcase (won't be bringing the pipes over with me, unfortunately!).

I was wondering if anyone plays in, or knows of, any sessions in SF that week? If so, would you mind a random English bloke dropping in for a couple of tunes?

Cheers
Sam
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

There's one every second Monday at Ireland's 32 on Geary Blvd. There are more, but I don't know where. Hopefully someone will post a website that lists them for you. :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
feadogin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by feadogin »

My favorite: An Bodhran, sunday evening around 8, lower Haight Street. (I think the cross street is Steiner?)

The other good one: Plough and Stars, Clement Street, also Sunday night.

Both highly recommended...

Have fun, :party:

Justine
stiofan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

this list is a little dated, but may be of help -

http://www.sfcelticmusic.com/sessions.htm

my fav session is without a doubt Sunday at An Bodhran, though it's one that I go to listen rather than play - certainly the most authentic session in town.

The Plough actually has sessions on Tuesdays as well Sunday, but it varies - standard session (most often with the guys from Tipsy House, one of our local trad bands) to a song session and slow session once a month or so: http://pweb.jps.net/~jgilder/plough.html

By the way, the session at Ireland's 32 begins as a 'slow session,' then (depending on who's there) shifts to standard session tempo around 9 or so: http://sf.ccewest.org/music/seisiun.html

Lastly, the Sunday session at the Starry Plough in Berkeley is led by Shay Black (of the Black Brothers) who lives in the East Bay. I've never been, but hear good things about it.

Enjoy your visit, hope you get some tunes in while you're here.

cheers
Sam_T

BUMP! Kind of...

Post by Sam_T »

BUMP! Kind of..

Thanks for the replies to this post - looks like there's plenty of tunes going on in SF!

I get on the plane on Wednesday, and so I'm going to try and make it to either the Plough and Stars or An Bodhran this coming Sunday (5th September). Anyone likely to be playing at either of these sessions? It would be great to have someone to say hi to there rather than just being a random! If you wouldn't mind meeting up with me, please either reply here or else PM me at uilleannair [at] yahoo.co.uk

This is my first visit to the US - very excited!

cheers
Sam
bwilson

Post by bwilson »

I drove up to the session at An Bodhran last night only to discover that the session
was cancelled for this week and next. My mistake for not calling someone first!
Anyway, don't bother going there looking for music next week, since there won't be
any. I've never been to the session at the Plough, but it's supposed to be pretty
good. Enjoy your visit to San Francisco!

--Bob
glauber

Post by glauber »

I've been at the Plough&Stars once, and it's a wonderful place you really should visit, if you're interested in Irish music. Across the street from it is a French/Vietnamese restaurant called "Le Soleil" which is also outstanding.

I heard good things too about "The Starry Plough", in Berkeley. I think it's a more informal session there, on Thursdays. But call first.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
stiofan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

it's always good to check in before trekking over to the Bodhran - they're almost always there on Sundays, but occasionally take the odd night off. I know the owner and his wife - I'll ask them next time I'm there about last night and next week. I've only been to the session at the Plough a couple of times, but I hear good things about it.
eskin

Post by eskin »

I'll also be in San Francisco the week of Sep 6 for a conference, packing a flute/whistle. Might make it up to the Plough on Tuesday...
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Pipers Club meeting next Sunday for any pipers in town...

I heard the news about the Bodhran session being cancelled next weekend, too, but as far as I know, the Plough & Stars session is still on. I'd call and check on that one, too, though, because you never know about Memorial Day Weekend...

I headed out to the Plough & Stars last night for the first time in ages and it was a great session!

Good luck,

Justine
Sam_T

Post by Sam_T »

Thanks again for the info, especially about the cancelled session at An Bodhran (saved me a trip there..). I think I'll definitely head along to the Plough on either Sunday or Tuesday so may see some of you there. I'll be the blonde English guy with the whistle...

Justine - I am a piper, in fact, although wasn't planning to bring the pipes on holiday with me! What's the deal with the pipers meeting? Is it open to anyone? If I'm in the area, it would be cool to pop in and see what you get up to - the guys at the London Piping Club would be really interested if I could take some pics and/or pick up a couple of tunes.. Do let me know if it would possible.

Thanks!
Sam
bwilson

Post by bwilson »

Hey Sam, check your private messages! I sent you an invitation to the piper's club
meeting. Michael, you're also welcome to join us. We're meeting at my place this
month so contact me for directions.

--Bob
Sam_T

Post by Sam_T »

Bob

Thanks for your message. I think I just sent you a reply - however, I've never tried to PM before and might not have done it right, so post here if it didn't reach you!

Sam