Forgive me fellow Chiffers; I bought a Bodhran

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Forgive me fellow Chiffers; I bought a Bodhran

Post by Martin Milner »

OK OK, I lapsed, but it's rather fun and only for using at home when I've had enough fiddling, and what an Englishman does in the privacy of his own front room behind the net curtains is, well, you know.

I think it may actually help when listening to new tunes, because I can get the rhythm alone, and then the notes, or something.

Anyone else have any daft excuses?
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

I don't have a Bodhran, but I should get one, my penknife isn't getting used often enough. :D j/k, I think in the hands of a few select masters, Bodhrans can be great for certain tunes. Besides, like you said, in the privacy of the home......we all have our vices :D

Corin
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

So Martin,was it an impulse buy-one of those ones labelled 'Guinness' or with some kitschy 'Celtic' design,or was it a 'proper' one??
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
glauber

Post by glauber »

The bodhran is very cool. It's usually played with a funnily shaped stick called the "tipper", but we've discovered that using a sharp implement (such as a penknife or a kitchen knife for the larger models) greatly improves the sound!
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

A bodhran player that I give grief to from time to time was showing off her new improved drum yesterday, and mentioned its thick skin, and that thick skins on bodhrans are a Good Thing. I added that the same measure applies to the people who play them, to which she could only agree.

She didn't use the term "thick head". She's learning to watch her words lest I grab an opportunity. :D
djm

Post by djm »

MMilner wrote:I think it may actually help when listening to new tunes, because I can get the rhythm alone, and then the notes, or something.
Didn't the Pope finally concede that the rhythm method doesn't work? :boggle: :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

Of course the funny thing about Bodhrans is every good ITM musician I know bashes Bodhrans like we all do. But most of them actually can play one quite well. They're all closet Bodhran players!

Corin
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

kevin m. wrote:So Martin,was it an impulse buy-one of those ones labelled 'Guinness' or with some kitschy 'Celtic' design,or was it a 'proper' one??
Not an impulse buy! It has no design at all, just plain goatskin. I'm not too keen on the designs either! A couple of things over the summer nudged me over the edge into wanting one, and I took a trip up to Hobgoblin in London to select one.

It's only a £40 16" job, but tuneable. I wasn't quite ready to splash £150 or more on a bodhran just yet - I'm no John Joe Kelly.

Last edited by Martin Milner on Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

FWIW, I fully plan on buying one at some point. My whistle teacher showed me his and taught me the rudiments of playing. I'm a drummer originally and I figure I need to add it to my repertoire.

Of course, thanks to this place, I have no intentions of taking it out in public.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Martin Milner wrote:
kevin m. wrote:So Martin,was it an impulse buy-one of those ones labelled 'Guinness' or with some kitschy 'Celtic' design,or was it a 'proper' one??
Not an impulse buy! It has no design at all, just plain goatskin. I'm not too keen on the designs either! A couple of things over the summer nudged me over the edge into wanting one, and I took a trip up to Hobgoblin in London to select one.

It's only a £40 16" job, but tuneable. I wasn't quite ready to splash £150 or more on a bodhran just yet - I'm no John Joe Kelly.

***Fair does Martin.I haven't got anything against Bodhrans or Bodhrani as a group. :D****

OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Actually, Bodhrans can be quite useful. I've heard that the goatskin heads can be made into halfway decent moccasins in a pinch... :wink:
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Bodhrans can be used as ass hammocks this is when you sit on one, quite comfortable. Now for a joke:

Q: What is the best thing to play a bodhran with?

A: A Razor Blade.

I in reality have no problem with the bodhran in fact I own one myself. :D
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

BAD BOY!....... DIRTY BOY........... GO TO YOUR ROOM!
maze

goat boy

Post by maze »

Frankly I find that in the years that i have played the bodhran, it has vastly improved my piping. It is not a matter of getting a grasp on the rhythm, but the ability to hear alternative rhythmic patterns in the music that has come from really focusing some time to the percussive arts.

Plus if the bodhran in question is an Alfonso... they smell like feta cheese... hmmm... cheese..... baaaaa
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Around 1985 I purchased a bodhran in Minneapolis Minnesota from the Homestead Pickin' Parlor. They had a brand of drum named: Boreal. It is a fine drum that has served me well for nearly twenty years, though its calfskin head needs replacing as it has developed 'permaflaccidity'
....'course, it doesn't help living in Florida. I have yet to play one of Albert's drums, though I have heard very good things about them.

I am getting bored with the tired 'slag the bodhran' attitude... just as I have with the same toward bagpipes, concertinas and nosewhistles....well, maybe not nosewhistles. The bodran can go a long way toward teaching rhythmic fundamentals within ITM for those who play 'melody inclined' and accompanying instruments. I have found it an invaluable device in this regard.