2¼ years of learning

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Darwin wrote:I've learned that some of the nicest, kindest, most helpful people in the world have some of the craziest political, religious, and philosophical opinions in the world (meaning that they don't accord with my own), and that I'm better off simply ignoring that odd fact.
I agree wholeheartedly. :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

BrassBlower wrote:-The large river which surrounds my hometown on three sides, between the borders of Colorado and Oklahoma, is pronounced "Ar-KAN-ziss",
No, it's not. It's pronounced "ARK-n-SAW." It's in the Bible (isn't it?), "Noah looked out the Ark'n'saw the waters."
BrassBlower wrote:and is much smaller up to the point where the Verdigris River flows in.
This brings up another important question. Having lived near Verdigris River (and Verdigris town, for that matter), I've heard it said Verdigruss, Verdigree, and Verdigreaze, all by locals. One dictionary actually seemed to support the latter pronunciation.
Reasonable person
Walden
spittin_in_the_wind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Walden wrote: No, it's not. It's pronounced "ARK-n-SAW." It's in the Bible (isn't it?), "Noah looked out the Ark'n'saw the waters."
Oh, boo hissssss!!!!!!

Robin
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Now, now, Robin. Our Walden holds himself to a mighty standard of constraints that most of us would collapse under. That was his way of being off-color, bless his hide. :lol:
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Nanohedron wrote:That was his way of being off-color....
Off color? Oh, umm... red, orange, green, blue, indigo, and violet was the color of the bow after he got off the Ark.
Reasonable person
Walden
pixyy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Walden wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:That was his way of being off-color....
Off color? Oh, umm... red, orange, green, blue, indigo, and violet was the color of the bow after he got off the Ark.
and yellow :)
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Walden wrote:
BrassBlower wrote:-The large river which surrounds my hometown on three sides, between the borders of Colorado and Oklahoma, is pronounced "Ar-KAN-ziss",
No, it's not. It's pronounced "ARK-n-SAW." It's in the Bible (isn't it?), "Noah looked out the Ark'n'saw the waters."
BrassBlower wrote:and is much smaller up to the point where the Verdigris River flows in.
This brings up another important question. Having lived near Verdigris River (and Verdigris town, for that matter), I've heard it said Verdigruss, Verdigree, and Verdigreaze, all by locals. One dictionary actually seemed to support the latter pronunciation.
Isn't verdigris the green stuff that forms on copper as it oxidizes? Is the river green, or the town an old copper mining town? I'm interested in how such a name would come about.
bjs

Post by bjs »

I have not learned to get off this site before reading loads of drivel right to the end. :sniffle:
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

pixyy wrote: and yellow :)
Heh heh. How did I forget the Y in ROY G BIV?
Martin Milner wrote:Isn't verdigris the green stuff that forms on copper as it oxidizes?
Yes, it is.
Martin Milner wrote:Is the river green, or the town an old copper mining town? I'm interested in how such a name would come about.
According to the town (really a village, I guess) web site, "The word Verdigris refers to a specific color of green.
This name was given to our town by the French when a prolific algae this unique color of green, was observed growing in the river near our Town."
Reasonable person
Walden
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

Walden, we must be neighbors...

I too live near the ARKnSAW and Verdigrissss rivers. I always thought, after several years of French, art classes, color theory etc, that it was Verdegree, but after moving to lovely hicklahoma, I realized my mistake.

Ever been to MiamA, Ok?

Sand
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

sandpiper wrote:Walden, we must be neighbors...

I too live near the ARKnSAW and Verdigrissss rivers.
I live even closer to the Grand River, which people not from here call the Neosho River. I posted a couple of pictures I took of it, before. All three of them come together not terribly far from here.
sandpiper wrote:I always thought, after several years of French, art classes, color theory etc, that it was Verdegree, but after moving to lovely hicklahoma, I realized my mistake.
Heh heh, my dad said, back before getting educated, people around here said Verdigree.
sandpiper wrote:Ever been to MiamA, Ok?

Sand
yeah
Reasonable person
Walden
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

pixyy wrote:Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Now I've learned wisdom--and it's about time.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Not to discuss religion , politics ,or herbal medicine :)
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Darwin wrote:
pixyy wrote:Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Now I've learned wisdom--and it's about time.
Heh. Visiting one of our major customers in Korea, I usually eat lunch in their cafeteria. At least once a week, I can count on getting fruit salad as a side dish. Looks and tastes *exactly* like my grandmother's except for one thing: they always put cherry tomato halves in. Not the new, sweeter, "grape" tomatos, which might work, but old-fashioned, not-particularly-sweet, cherry tomatos. :-?