Justin Pickford

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
zielidc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Justin Pickford

Post by zielidc »

I've seen negative references to Justin Pickford and would like some more information. I have a practice set from him and have seen another one for sale at one point but had not heard anything about his unscrupulous bahavior.

Since there are no other UP pipers here in the central USA close to where I live, I don't have anyone who can give me an objective appraisal of the pipes I have so I assumed that they are fine.

They sound and look OK but all I have is web info and no real way to compare them to determine their quality.

If I am playing a bad set of pipes I fear I am developing bad habits that may be difficult to unlearn when I get a full set.

Can anyone fill me in?
glands

Post by glands »

We all know that much of what is written is unreliable. Don't believe everything you read on the net.

Each and every pipemaker has made stuff that has deserved to end up in the woodpile....and, unfortunately, some have sold such lackluster chanters/instruments to the unsuspecting customer. I am not accusing the maker of your set and I call upon the rest of the community to refrain from doing so as well.

The only way for you to obtain a useful and reliable answer to your inquiry is to seek a qualified experienced player who can evaluate what you possess. There are several in Chicago and perhaps a couple in St. Louis who could help. A weekend jaunt to one of these locales would be worth the effort.
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

On the other side of the coin "don't believe everything you read," Justin Pickford is infamous. I have never seen a pipemaker so universaly maligned. While it may be a plot by all the pipemakers, players and people who have dealt with him one should also take into consideration that where there's so much smoke, there may be fire.

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.