OT - The Horror!!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
vomitbunny
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

I wish they would outlaw them here. Or force them to play the theme to Fat Albert. Or give all the fat kids weapons so they hold up the vans and they give up the route.
What his country needs is more and easier ways to get fat.
I swear I'd rather they have Oxy and Crack vans driving around.
Here in the south, you would be supprized how many school age kids are not just overwieght, but morbidly obese. I'ts a constant battle with my daughter over her eating habits. She's almost twice the size she should be. Parents of kids who turn goth, get multiple piercings, smoke dope, or starve themselves should count themselves lucky. Schools and communities fall all over themselves to help parents when kids get into most kinds of problems like that, but when a kid is literally killing themselves eating, they ignore it, or actually help worsen the problem.
Can you imaging having a teen with a drinking problem and they put beer machines in the school? Here in the south, half the students are overwieght and snack machines are lined up in every corner of the school. They can substitute the regular lunch with al la carte junk, and the classes average "treats" about once every three weeks.
And try telling a 300 pound teacher or pricipal about your kid's problem........
Hey, I don't mean to pick on large Americans, but this is a serious problem for my daughter. She is borderline diabetic now and starting to have knee problems. She's 14 and has no willpower when faced with junk food thrust in her face at every corner. Can you imagine being a recovering alcoholic and all the workplaces and public buildings putting in free beer fountains? Yeah, I know, I have that dream every nite too.....
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
starman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: OT - The Horror!!!

Post by starman »

Darwin wrote:Our local ice cream truck has finally quit playing Turkey in the Straw.

You'd think I'd be happy, wouldn't you?
At least "Turkey in the Straw" is ITM isn't it or is that "Turkeys in the Straw" that's ITM?

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Mike
"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." --Albert Einstein
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Albertros! Aaal Berr Tros!!
Get Yer Aaal berr tros!!!! :lol:

*copyright Monty Python.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Wha flavor is it?
missy

Post by missy »

vomitbunny wrote:
"I swear I'd rather they have Oxy and Crack vans driving around. "

Gee - there's at least ONE ice cream truck a year that gets busted for doing just that around here!

Ours is currently playing "The Entertainer" also - but there's something wrong with the recording, and it keeps changing speeds.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

I haven't seen an ice cream truck around here, but we do have a plethora of mobile hot food vans (aka "roach coaches").

One small group of them was based near an apartment I lived in, and they loved to pull in at the end of the day playing their truck's music at top volume: "La Cucaracha."

(I kid you not!)
:o
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Pat Cannady wrote:Wha flavor is it?
Bleedin' Albatross flavour!
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

At the risk of seeming culturally insensitive, I will not comment other than to say that we had the Turkey in the Straw guy for about four years.
Weeks, has it been that long? I heard that guy for years. I should point out that it was only part A of Turkey (I abbreviated it by first letter of each word, but had to edit that :oops: ) I always wondered what it did to the mind of the poor guy in the turban who drove around all day, every day, listening to part A of Turkey in the Straw. I said a prayer for him every time he drove by. I also fantasized running up to the truck and lilting Part B for him just so he'd know about it. 'da da da daaa daaa, da da da daaaa...'
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

starman wrote:
Darwin wrote:Our local ice cream truck has finally quit playing Turkey in the Straw.

You'd think I'd be happy, wouldn't you?
At least "Turkey in the Straw" is ITM isn't it or is that "Turkeys in the Straw" that's ITM?
It's American!!! I bet that Ireland originally had about as many turkeys as it did snakes.

Actually, I came to love TitS when I first heard Bill Monroe play it on the mandolin. I even have a version (such as it is) on my guitar tab page at http://www.coastalfog.net/flatpick/tabl ... _main.html

That's not exactly the version that the ice cream truck played.

A funny thing happened the first time I was stationed in Japan. It was on a Saturday or Sunday, I guess, because I was home--Grant Heights Family Housing Area, run by the US Air Force. The kids heard music outside, grabbed some change, and rushed out of the house. They came back all disappointed, having learned that, in Japan, it's the garbage trucks that play music. (They apparently decided against trying to buy any garbage.)
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Norma wrote:When I was a kid, the ice cream truck played a pleasant little tune that sounded like there was maybe a little man in the back who was doing it by hand. Now the ice cream truck sounds like a cell-phone ring tone "beeping"....and at 2 or 3 bucks for a popsicle it's no longer a sound I want to hear!
Yeah, the one that comes through here makes me darn near homicidal - he parks about 50 feet from my house for five to ten minutes with "home, home, on the range" played on loud tinkly chime sounding crap through a cheap PA horn. He'll sit there even if none of the neighborhood kids come out to buy his stuff.

On top of that the "ice cream truck" is an old broken down van that I wouldn't let my grandkids go near on a bet - it practically screams "pervert!"
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Darwin wrote:The kids heard music outside, grabbed some change, and rushed out of the house. They came back all disappointed, having learned that, in Japan, it's the garbage trucks that play music. (They apparently decided against trying to buy any garbage.)
:lol:
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Actually, I came to love TitS
Welcome to the Club.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I knew someone would jump on that one......

Mary
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:I knew someone would jump on that one......

Mary
:lol: :lol:
What stopped ye??
Slan,
D.
:wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Just don't blame me. I was trying to avoid that sort of thing.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”