.4K Writing Competition: Vote the Winner

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Vote for the Best Piece of .4K Prose

Poll ended at Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:33 pm

cskinner: I Married a Beatle
25%
emmline: Love in the Ragweed
4%
FJohnSharp: At the Wedding
18%
susnfx: The Martians. Relax.
14%
Dibe': Old Manheads
4%
Ron Kiley: Boys In Summer
2%
dubhlinn: The Letter
16%
Nanohedron: No Longer the Same
2%
Geraghty: She Blinks Sleep
11%
scottielvr: Hick-Pop
5%

Total votes: 56

dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

:party:
Congratulations to Carol on a well deserved victory.
Hers was a lovely little piece of great charm and grace,just like her good self.

I cast my vote for John because apart from the quality of the writing ,the story of the Dad looking down on the boy from the wrongside of the tracks is one that I know all about from my younger days in Dublin and it brought back many memories.

With regard to my own placing ,well......
To end up third in such talented company is something I am having great difficulty in comprehending,it will take an awful lot to make me feel this good again.

Of course,in this situation ,the participation is
everything so mucho respecto to all who joined in and had the crack .

Finally, a BIG thank you to Bloomfield for all of the time and effort he put into this and for giving us all so much fun.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

Runner-up.

*sigh*

First the Dill Pickle Days Queen competition and now this.

*sigh*

Susan

(Oh...but you were all actually right, you know. Wonderful stories!)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

It appears that I must look forward to posthumous recognition. :lol:

Congratulations, all! It was fun. To paraphrase a certain someone, when Bloo marks a millenial, he rocks the house.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Well, I'm just relieved that the restraining order on my submitting literary works had been lifted by the time this contest rolled around. (That New Yorker thing was a long time ago, you know. Oh right...like you've never written a poem that has the words lambent lily in the last line??? We were all young once, for heaven's sake.)

Seriously, this thread was a great pleasure to take part in and read, and I'm honored more than I can express to have been chosen among such very fine entries. The variety was wonderful, and FJohnSharp's comparison to musical styles and tastes very apt. It occurred to me that being in the presence of all the other entries enhanced each one, as if they were all somehow facets of the same gem. It certainly enhanced my story, that I know.

Thank you all very much!

Bloomfield, congratulations again on your milestone. And Susan, take heart. At least you were not a runner up in the same contest as Bloomfield. (Scroll down a bit.)

Carol

PS Personally I feel that my agreeing to drop the lawsuit re: lost wages had no bearing on Bloomfield's decisions. --C.

Edited to fix link
Last edited by carrie on Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Congratulations to all the winners and to all the non-winners for that matter. (Now put that razor away please Nano, you've just been recognised.)

BTW, doesn't someone have to come second to be a runner-up? Oh never mind, it's been a confusing week.

This competition was absolutely delightful.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Congrats to the winners. I feel lucky just to be in the same group. It was great reading. We should do it again sometime.

Ron
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Hey all, thanks for the votes. I loved reading everyone's entries and non-entires.

Congratulations to Carol, Dub and Susan. The real winners were the people who read them.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Oh yeah, kudos to Bloomie for thinking of and administering this. Reading and judging stories is a big job.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Dibe'

"and a good time was had by all.."

Post by Dibe' »

All the entries and discussion on this thread made my computer significantly more interesting; is that a good thing? It’s interesting that a thread containing allegedly discrete bits (itsy-bitsy stories) ended up having so much community life. Thanks, bloomfield. I feel the mists of lurk gathering but I need to go ask blackhawk a question on the political thread before they do.
"There is nothing but trouble and desire."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Wombat wrote:...(Now put that razor away please Nano, you've just been recognised.)
Good Lord. I may be excruciatingly vain, but when I said "posthumous", I wasn't exactly feeling in a hurry about things, you know!

Not to worry, all. You're not shed of me yet. Not by a long shot. :twisted:
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Nanohedron wrote:
Wombat wrote:...(Now put that razor away please Nano, you've just been recognised.)
Good Lord. I may be excruciatingly vain, but when I said "posthumous", I wasn't exactly feeling in a hurry about things, you know!

Not to worry, all. You're not shed of me yet. Not by a long shot. :twisted:
I'm relieved to hear it. No, really! :wink:
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Let me add my warmest congratulations to the winners...they wear their deserved laurels with grace. (I'd say elan, but that was for emmline and I'm sticking with it).

(Yeah, I'm late, as usual. And since I'm an anti-alchemist--reliably turning gold into lead--this thread will now swiftly sink into the silt beneath the bottom of the page, like...well... a lead....ummm.... sinker. :wink: )
emmline

Post by emmline »

scottielvr wrote: (I'd say elan, but that was for emmline and I'm sticking with it).
Wow Scottie...thanks for leaving me with the elan...I can really use that about now!

(ok, now we've good and killed this thread.)
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Yep...everyone should have a little Elan, for when things get dreary:
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Just wanted to annouce that the prizes have finally gone out to cskinner and FjohnSharp. They both picked whistles, and I still have that Phil Coulter CD... Funny how that goes. :lol:
/Bloomfield