Miserable Melodies

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
stiofan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Miserable Melodies

Post by stiofan »

Well, I haven't seen this on our illustrious forum before, so thought I'd share this o-so-unique musikal collection with y'all. Some of my favorites:

Rocketman - William Shatner
Proud Mary - Leonard Nimoy
Winter Wonderland - San Francisco 49ers
Odd Couple - You're So Vain
Portsmouth Sinfonia
Temple City Kazoo Orchestra - Whole Lotta Love

if you haven't heard this before...yer in fer a treat...of sorts

http://www.miserablemelodies.com/
http://www.miserablemelodies.com/cgi-bi ... arg=Artist

:party:
Daryl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Daryl »

I can't get any of them to play. Rats!!!

:-?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Thank you. I think.

Yes, Temple City Kazoo Orchestra/"Whole Lotta Love" is killer! Two others that get my vote:

American Standard Co./"My Bathroom is My Special Place"...bizarre. Especially bizarre that the lady didn't crack up singing it.

Enrique Iglesias/"Rhythm Divine"...truly awful. He had to be very drunk at the time. That, or he really lip-synchs his usual performances.

I couldn't bring myself to listen to Fabio.
missy

Post by missy »

while I can agree with most of them (I refuse to even PLAY any of the Yoko ones!!), I cannot agree with two - John Prine (Flag Decal) and Loren Green (Ringo). I mean, common!!! Those are CLASSIC!!! :D

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I dunno...maybe it's all wonderful, and it's just the listeners who are untalented.

I happen to be a John Prine fan, and I'm sure I've read people here talking about how they were influenced by the Irish Rovers doing The Unicorn (though, personally, I'd rather listen to Tammy Faye Baker).

Maybe there are those who feel the same way about Burt Ward and Phyllis Diller--maybe our reaction is just due to unfamiliarity with the genre?

Hey, it could be...
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anybody who played in the school band needs to check out Portsmouth Sinfonia Also Sprach Zarathustra
JillyKB

Post by JillyKB »

K, only one I actually listened to is that kazoo one. Oh my gosh! :o Actually I heard the Leonard Nemoy "Ballad of Bilbo Baggins" on another site... it's really good, especially if you can find the video to it/
vadorman

Twisted songs

Post by vadorman »

IvanP

Post by IvanP »

In select areas of the country, there's NPR's "Annoying Music Show", based in Chicago. The host occasionally pops in at Weekend Edition Saturday and has a shrine to annoying music in his basement.
Lots of content here overlaps...
Just when you think you've seen it all, the Chieftains get a new guest star!
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

In the mid-1970's, the "beautiful music" stations were becoming all the rage, especially with my parents. You know, the ones with no-name studio orchestras doing things like "Blowin' in the wind," "Both sides now," etc. Well, my brother swore up and down that he'd heard "Purple haze," the Hendrix song on one of these. My parents listened to one of these stations (WKSS, "Kiss," somewhere in CT), and sure enough, I heard an orchestra with a chorus of wimpy men singing "Purple haze, or is it my brain, . . ." I just about had milk coming out of my nose at the supper table.

That was really right up there with William Shatner's rendition of "Lucy in the skies."
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

You haven't lived until you've heard factory Muzak playing Prince's "I Would Die for You". It really doesn't work. Trust me.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Too bad they're all in Real Audio. I refuse to have their advertiser, er, I mean, player, on my machine :(

I never have understood why people use the RA format - it's not as good as either VBR MP3 or WMA and, for anyone to listen to your files, they have to install one of the most invasive pieces of system-tray trash around.

I can understand not using WMA if you hate Microsuck, but MP3 is a completely open format with about a million encoders and players on all platforms.
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

there are a couple of recordings of horrible songs called "Golden Throats" and man are some of them BAD! :lol:
A couple of Shatner and Nimoy ones, Mae West shrieking out "Twist and Shout", the guy from Dragnet intoning "Try a Little Tenderness"... it's all too painful...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

OutOfBreath wrote: I never have understood why people use the RA format - it's not as good as either VBR MP3 or WMA and... snip...
It's because .ra is a streaming format, like .asf. This means that the file stays on the server and is squirted to your player (and discarded). In the early days of low-speed (9.6 to 14.4k modems) it made sense: It would take days to download a large audio file, but streaming meant you could listen to music "on the fly" or "live".

It was also a primitive copy-protection system, since you couldn't simply download a .ra or .asf file and then pass 'em around to your mates like you can with MP3s. M$oft are of course refining that very idea with their digital rights management systems even as we speak.

Why am I writing all this cobblers? Because I've just listened to the Portsmouth Sinfonia's "Air on a G-string" and typing is staving off my inexplicable urge for self-immolation!
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Anyone familiar with Rolf Harris' version of Stairway to Heaven?

It originally started as a joke, but became a massive hit.